Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[plotbunny] The Occupy Movement

TO: open-discussion@mailinglists.fen

SUBJECT: Stalked by containers

Okay, whose bright idea was it to give those 'Occupiers' containers with speed drives?

We are right now stalked by five of them, not to mention that they have nearly kept us from running our annual maintenance mission on SOHO. And it seems to get worse every day.

And they don't even try to listen to the little fact that we are just doing our jobs...

Jeb is this close to use them as targets for one of his missiles. And I'm this close to actualy asking him to do it...

Naedial Warringer

‘Impossible is not a word that exists within the vocabulary of Whistler Corporation’

TO: Naedial

CC: open-discussion@mailinglists.fen

SUBJECT: Re: Stalked by containers

Reality check Naedial...

better speed drives than anything that build up lots of kinetic energy. I suggest board them and downgrade the drive to make them easier to capture next time. The new 'container ship' WE built is somewhere at Saturn, with the 'crew' visiting Coruscant and having a good time.

Hmm... they have some primitive computer inside their containers to control drive and radio. Maybe we could hack it to reduce the maximum speed?

Cathy

TO: Cathy@jenga.fen

> Hmm... they have some primitive computer inside their containers to control drive and radio. Maybe we could hack it to reduce the maximum speed?

That's an easy fix, usually. Just have somebody pull them over for a safety check, and get your local Hacker Underspace member to install the "Safety Check" program while they're stopped - that's what checks Safety's speed so she doesn't fly off at a quarter of lightspeed. Pick the top speed you want and they won't be able to go over it.

Just... don't ask me, please. Cathy's nice, but she's a c...c...ca...you-know-what.

Takami Sakuragi

I'm sorry - the voice-to-text software was still turned on and I didn't think to proofread before I sent that. You're you - you're not your body, and I'm a bundle of phobias. I hope I didn't insult you...?

Takami Sakuragi
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

TO: total-insecurity@stellvia.fen

> That's an easy fix, usually. Just have somebody pull them over for a safety check, and get your local Hacker Underspace member to install the "Safety Check" program while they're stopped - that's what checks Safety's speed so she doesn't fly off at a quarter of lightspeed. Pick the top speed you want and they won't be able to go over it.
Good to know how you handle this. I will keep my eyes on my car when I am stopped somewhere for a safety check. Wink

But I was more thinking about a remote hack to help Whistlers...

> Just... don't ask me, please. Cathy's nice, but she's a c...c...ca...you-know-what.
*laughing*

> I'm sorry - the voice-to-text software was still turned on and I didn't think to proofread before I sent that. You're you - you're not your body, and I'm a bundle of phobias. I hope I didn't insult you...?

Don't worry... *grin*

Cathy

"... They did WHAT?"

"Basically, they hacked the auto-pilot software and highjacked the cargo containers. Now they're harassing Jenga."

Ben grumbled - it could be barely made out, but Gina was glad his mother wasn't there.

"Okay then. Time to show these people WHY we're the top 1% in these parts. Dispatch three teams of Sammies to the Jenga and tell them to be gentle about it. I want you to go as well, Gina. You're to reprogram the autopilots yourself, and make sure that they can't break it again. Pull out all the stops. The only people that I want to be able to get in there is yourself or Lebia and only if people are about to die."

"Okay, but where do you want them to go?"

Ben thought of that for a moment, then grinned. "Capitol Hill. Just outside the no-fly zone. That oughta give Congress a little more incentive to clean up their own God damned mess."

robkelk Wrote:
blackaeronaut Wrote:Noah-

Dude, what did the Wizards do to get your knickers in a twist? Also, heard it through the grapevine that you were wondering when I was gonna realize it was Mal all along. Truth: knew it after the first batch when we screened them for possible Boskonian plants (the war may be officially over, but that doesn't mean they're not out there). When the second wave arrived that really pissed me off. I was about to go out there with the Megaton Mallet myself. Gina put a stop to that, but not before the Squirrel Sisters got a hold of the damn thing. That was why with the injuries from the second wave. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries - we got them all patched up free of charge and sent them off with credit chits with enough money to cover any possible medical expenses... as well as signed affidavits that they were attempting to occupy a military facility even after several warnings (mob mentality - whatcha gonna do).

Anyhow, sorry if those guys were a strain for you to deal with.

On the flip-side of the coin - any idea of how these people got the idea into their heads that Us SMOFs = 'Danish Fat Cats? Is this just another case of Stupidity Mistaken for Malice or is someone actively trying to redirect some of the public's ire away from them?

-Ben

Ben,

The Wizards haven't done anything – which is the problem. They don't do anything except debate, debate, and debate some more. If they don't want my free tech, they should say so.

Besides, I had to send the Occupiers somewhere, most of the factions are too small to handle them, Mimas and Ganymede are too far from Earth, and I wasn't about to dump them on Bjo, Susan, or Tanith. That left the debating society on Hogsmeade... unless you wanted them back?

As for the "SMOFs = 'Danish Fat Cats" bit, I've had Takami working on that... and... er... well... that's partly my fault, sort of. Remember my interviews with Maher, Colbert and Larry King? It looks like I got pegged as one of the "fat cats" along with Chris Marsden, and since we're both SMOFs... sorry about that.

Noah
Noah,
Well, I'm not about to hold that against you.  Especially where Colbert is involved - that man is just a force of nature unto himself.  (Hell, if he were running for President and I was still a US citizen I'd vote for him.)  I forget, did you renounce your citizenship yet?  I know Chris hasn't.  I like the guy - he's a great friend and business partner - but times like this being linked back to the US in such a fashion can be problematic.
Anyhow, for our sakes just don't make that mistake again.  And tell Mal I owe him big for pointing those people in my direction.  (Seriously, I gotta wonder what the hell he was thinking sending them here.  We may help out with the whole humanitarian thing, we can even handle refugees, but not on our own front door!)
-Ben

blackaeronaut Wrote:"Okay then. Time to show these people WHY we're the top 1% in these parts. Dispatch three teams of Sammies to the Jenga and tell them to be gentle about it. I want you to go as well, Gina. You're to reprogram the autopilots yourself, and make sure that they can't break it again. Pull out all the stops. The only people that I want to be able to get in there is yourself or Lebia and only if people are about to die."
OOC: Why do I have the image in my head that this is the start of a wacky race of the "stop the Occupiers" group. Benny Hill show music playing in the background while the team is sent all over Fenspace to look for a group of protesters in their small container. "What, this group? No, they never got here... but I heard they were seen near Ganymed..."

TO: ben@roughriders.fen
SUBJECT: Sammies visit on Jenga

Hi Ben,

thank you for sending the Sammies here, always happy to have nice visitors in small groups. Unfortunately the protesters are already gone, and we cannot allow your troops to arrest the nice part of them that are still here. We will equip their new container-ship with an IFF tag called "Jenga-OFC" (short for "Occupy Fenspace Container) when we finish it.

I must say I like the idea, Earth should send more groups like this. The nice ones will stay here and become Fen, the bad ones get frustrated and go back to earth. *laughing*

Good luck with chasing the other group,

Cathy

HRogge Wrote:FROM: Cathy@jenga.fen

TO: ben@roughriders.fen

SUBJECT: Sammies visit on Jenga

Hi Ben,

thank you for sending the Sammies here, always happy to have nice visitors in small groups. Unfortunately the protesters are already gone, and we cannot allow your troops to arrest the nice part of them that are still here. We will equip their new container-ship with an IFF tag called "Jenga-OFC" (short for "Occupy Fenspace Container) when we finish it.

I must say I like the idea, Earth should send more groups like this. The nice ones will stay here and become Fen, the bad ones get frustrated and go back to earth. *laughing*

Good luck with chasing the other group,

Cathy
SUBJECT: RE:Sammies visit on Jenga
Heya Cathy,
Sorry about the inconvenience anyhow.  At the very least we'll be able to track them down by their drive emissions and the heading your girls gave us.  I know some of the others may not see it my way, but I see this as fixing a mistake on my part.  Anyhow, at least you wound up with the better mannered ones.  Who knows.  Maybe some of them may decide to stay up there and work for you.  Wink
-Benjamin

blackaeronaut Wrote:FROM: blackrider@roughriders.fen
Heya Cathy,
Sorry about the inconvenience anyhow.  At the very least we'll be able to track them down by their drive emissions and the heading your girls gave us.  I know some of the others may not see it my way, but I see this as fixing a mistake on my part.  Anyhow, at least you wound up with the better mannered ones.  Who knows.  Maybe some of them may decide to stay up there and work for you.  Wink
-Benjamin
TO: blackrider@roughriders.fen

Oh, I think we got a mixture of both... its just that the bad ones left early... most of the nicer ones left later after we finished the refit of their container... and a few of them stayed here.

Cathy.

(No clean getaways. Remember that.)

A spectacular example of Not Getting It Wrote:Okay then. Time to show these people WHY we're the top 1% in these parts.

Daily Illuminator

ROUGHRIDERS DENY WRONGDOING IN HIJACK INCIDENT

36 Atalantae - Embattled Roughriders leader Benjamin Rhodes continues to deny that his forces did anything wrong in the wake of Tuesday's hijacking of a civilian spacecraft in the Main Belt.

The spacecraft, a converted cargo container, was en route from Mars to the Jenga space station when it was attacked by Sailor Senshi Armed Militia units seconded to the Roughriders. The craft was commandeered, manual controls destroyed and the autopilot forced into an Earthward trajectory. The hijack craft carried twenty protesters from the Occupy Fenspace movement, who were previously on 36 Atalantae demonstrating against the faction's military buildup.

In a written statement released to the press, Commander Rhodes said the Roughriders "acted in the best interests of Jenga and Fenspace. These spoiled protesters don't know what they're talking about." No further comment was available at press time.

The Senshi government has not made an official statement on the incident. Crystal Palace sources indicate that Queen Serenity is "disappointed" with the Roughriders and she and Prime Minister Kayabuki are discussing a reevaluation of their relationship with the faction.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

CC: Cathy@jenga.fen
SUBJECT: RE: Stalked by containers
>Reality check Naedial...
>
>better speed drives than anything that build up lots of kinetic
>energy. I suggest board them and downgrade the drive to make them
>easier to capture next time. The new 'container ship' WE built is
>somewhere at Saturn, with the 'crew' visiting Coruscant and having
>a good time.
Hmmm... Consider that idea stolen, Cathy.
Whistler Services hereby announces the foundation of the daughter
company of Whistler Dockyard Services. WDS will produce container
ships for the open market for anyone willing to fly it.
ETA for the first container ship...
Well, as soon as we build a production line to complement the
container and drive production on Cuno Station. Could be a few
month...
Naedial Warringer
‘Impossible is not a word that exists within the vocabulary of Whistler Corporation’

Hmm.... assuming this is passed November 2016 since Jenga's such a big show in it. Otherwise, please just ignore.

from jet.jaguar@friggarock.fen

to: open-discussion@mailinglists.fen

Subj: Occupiers need to occupy

Whey! Got the mail server, interwave and domain working.

Also.

Basically just moved in here three days ago. 77 Frigga's might be marked on everyone's map as New Birmingham since the nav-update hasn't pushed through yet.

There's an old mining town here, with about a hundred apartments for the workforce laying idle. We've got air, water and power, 5 roomba's and 3 exocomps,... a small green dome area that might take a few tents, and not much else. If we had food and bedding, and Ben doesn't mind us being off work for a while, we can sure put up with a few of them for a bit.

Main landing bay's designed to hold a pair of big bulk ore carriers and the big door still works, so disembarking shouldn't be trouble. Also, most importantly, Ford's OK with it.

I guess we'll have to hold off on the housewarming party though until they're dealt with.

--Jet

--------

Warringer Wrote:FROM: Naedial
>Reality check Naedial...
>
>better speed drives than anything that build up lots of kinetic
>energy. I suggest board them and downgrade the drive to make them
>easier to capture next time. The new 'container ship' WE built is
>somewhere at Saturn, with the 'crew' visiting Coruscant and having
>a good time.
Hmmm... Consider that idea stolen, Cathy.
Whistler Services hereby announces the foundation of the daughter
company of Whistler Dockyard Services. WDS will produce container
ships for the open market for anyone willing to fly it.
ETA for the first container ship...
Well, as soon as we build a production line to complement the
container and drive production on Cuno Station. Could be a few
month...
Naedial Warringer
TO: Naedial

Interested in doing a container ship project together? We have a lot of experience with this kind of 'ships'. Wink

Cathy

Dartz Wrote:Hmm.... assuming this is passed November 2016 since Jenga's such a big show in it.
I would guess its 2016...

Subj: Re: Occupiers need to occupy
Quote:from jet.jaguar@friggarock.fen
to: open-discussion@mailinglists.fen
Subj: Occupiers need to occupy

Whey! Got the mail server, interwave and domain working.

WOOOW... congratulation Jet !
Quote:Basically just moved in here three days ago. 77 Frigga's might be marked on everyone's map as New Birmingham since the nav-update hasn't pushed through yet.

There's an old mining town here, with about a hundred apartments for the workforce laying idle. We've got air, water and power, 5 roomba's and 3 exocomps,... a small green dome area that might take a few tents, and not much else. If we had food and bedding, and Ben doesn't mind us being off work for a while, we can sure put up with a few of them for a bit.

Main landing bay's designed to hold a pair of big bulk ore carriers and the big door still works, so disembarking shouldn't be trouble. Also, most importantly, Ford's OK with it.

I guess we'll have to hold off on the housewarming party though until they're dealt with.
I don't think the occupiers will come, they seem to prefer unwilling targets... but we would be happy to come over for your party!

And we just filled up our stores with new food, so we will have a backup if the first half of the party pillages your refrigerator and leaves nothing behind...

Cathy

> Interested in doing a container ship project together? We have a lot
> of experience with this kind of 'ships'. Wink
So do we, but its always a good thing to have some other people on
board for this kind of thing.
Naedial Warringer
‘Impossible is not a word that exists within the vocabulary of
Whistler Corporation’

SUBJECT: Occupy Cuno?

Okay, I just got word that the guys from the Occupy movement thought

that is was funny to have a party at 4183 Cuno and our Container and

Propulsion Plants...

At least they can't get into the production areas, but they are

annoying to our employees there.

Can someone please come and pick them up?

Also, is there anywhere where I can hire a couple of security personal
until this whole episode is over?

Thank you...

Naedial Warringer

‘Impossible is not a word that exists within the vocabulary of

Whistler Corporation’

From Ford.V8@Friggarock.fen
To: open-discussion@maillinglists.fen
Subject: RE: Occupy Cuno
Warringer Wrote:FROM: Naedial

Okay, I just got word that the guys from the Occupy movement thought

that is was funny to have a party at 4183 Cuno and our Container and

Propulsion Plants...

Well they do say 1% of all asteroids hold 99% of the Mass in the belt. Wink

-Ford Sierra
------
Show me someone who doesn't feel the stir of passion in their heart when a big-block V8 roars past, and I'll show you someone with no heart and no soul.

CC: Ford.V8@Friggarock.fen

> Well they do say 1% of all asteroids hold 99% of the Mass in the belt. Wink

4183 Cuno isn't even a main belt object!

Naedial Warringer

'Impossible is not a word that exists within the vocabulary of

Whistler Corporation'

CC: Naedial

SUBJECT: Re: Occupy Cuno?

> 4183 Cuno isn't even a main belt object!

True! The Blue Thunder of the Inner System would never deign to sully its august self in such a manner. Besides, it must ever pursue its two beloveds, the Red-Skied World and the Fierce Tigress Earth, and cannot bear to be far from their sides.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Subj: Re: Occupy Cuno

Well excuse me for not being able to fact check! We're still barely getting interwave as it is. Jet's gone overboard to try align the transmitters so we can get more than 56k speeds and not time-out loading the small-body database.

-Ford

------

Show me someone who doesn't feel the stir of passion in their heart when a big-block V8 roars past, and I'll show you someone with no heart and no soul.

-------------------

And about ten minutes later:

Subj: Re: Occupy Cuno

Sorry If I came across a little snappy. I've been crawling up to my elbows in dirt and grime through kilometers of conduit for the last three days. I'd love to meet the morons who gutted this place... truly. I'll show them a fate worse than death.

-Ford

------

TO: Naedial , open-discussion@mailinglists.fen

SUBJECT: Re: Occupy Cuno?

>Also, is there anywhere where I can hire a couple of security personal

>until this whole episode is over?

I recommend the Dorsai. They aren't just a mercenary group - they're the ones who are usually hired for Convention security. They're pricey, but you get what you pay for, and they're completely professional. They're also, on average, almost as good with their pistols as I am.

If you can't afford them, you may as well get Bailey Security Service. Despite all the bad things some people say about them, they do know how to do their jobs. Just make sure the orders you give them are exact, because they'll carry out those orders to the letter.

Insp. N. Aki,

Helium Police Department
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

CC:

SUBJECT: RE: Occupy Cuno?

> I recommend the Dorsai. They aren't just a mercenary group - they're

> the ones who are usually hired for Convention security. They're

> pricey, but you get what you pay for, and they're completely

> professional. They're also, on average, almost as good with their

> pistols as I am.

>

> If you can't afford them, you may as well get Bailey Security

> Service. Despite all the bad things some people say about them, they

> do know how to do their jobs. Just make sure the orders you give

> them are exact, because they'll carry out those orders to the letter.

I think we are going with Dorsai. Its not like Whistler is lacking

money. And we rather have some people who are good at their job and

follow the spirit of an order and not the letter...

Note to self: Ask the Board of Directors to open a robotics branch

for security robots and drones. The Kerbals do not count much and

the USO has asked us more then one to get them a few Whistler

Robots...

Naedial Warringer

'Impossible is not a word that exists within the vocabulary of

Whistler Corporation'

M Fnord Wrote:(No clean getaways. Remember that.)

A spectacular example of Not Getting It Wrote:Okay then. Time to show these people WHY we're the top 1% in these parts.

Daily Illuminator

ROUGHRIDERS DENY WRONGDOING IN HIJACK INCIDENT

36 Atalantae - Embattled Roughriders leader Benjamin Rhodes continues to deny that his forces did anything wrong in the wake of Tuesday's hijacking of a civilian spacecraft in the Main Belt.

The spacecraft, a converted cargo container, was en route from Mars to the Jenga space station when it was attacked by Sailor Senshi Armed Militia units seconded to the Roughriders. The craft was commandeered, manual controls destroyed and the autopilot forced into an Earthward trajectory. The hijack craft carried twenty protesters from the Occupy Fenspace movement, who were previously on 36 Atalantae demonstrating against the faction's military buildup.

In a written statement released to the press, Commander Rhodes said the Roughriders "acted in the best interests of Jenga and Fenspace. These spoiled protesters don't know what they're talking about." No further comment was available at press time.

The Senshi government has not made an official statement on the incident. Crystal Palace sources indicate that Queen Serenity is "disappointed" with the Roughriders and she and Prime Minister Kayabuki are discussing a reevaluation of their relationship with the faction.
Of course, this is why Ben is going to want Maico around.  I can't imagine their Sammies being quite that ham-handed.  It sounds to me like some of the protesters were hamming it up.  "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"  Of course, some rags won't portray it as such.  Also, I can easily imagine that some higher-ups among the Senshi aren't happy about the ties that Serenity keeps with the Roughriders - this would easily turn into one of those situations where one politician would use this as leverage for his/her own agenda.

Quote:I can't imagine their Sammies being quite that ham-handed. It sounds to me like some of the protesters were hamming it up. "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

Well, let's look at the facts in evidence:

1) SSAM marines interdict a civilian spacecraft.
2) The marines board the spacecraft and overpower the pilot.
3) Then, the marines rig the autopilot and destroy the manual controls, leaving the passengers unable to retake control of their craft.

If I swapped out every instance of "marines" for, oh, "Boskonians," this would be a pretty obvious act of hijacking and piracy. I'm pretty sure that the Articles of Convention don't include "but it's okay if they don't like Benjamin Rhodes" clauses.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Cathy was not really in a good mood. "Cortana, please tell me that everyone got that I suggested hacking the Occupiers drive to make them slower, nothing else. I really don't want to deal with this mess too."

Cortanas avatar did shrugged. "I don't know Cathy, I think most people will get it, but some might just see that you posted the first mail with 'hacking' in the whole discussion. Most likely there are already some rumor groups about secret connections between us and the Roughriders, we should maybe just keep the head down for a few weeks until its over."

Cathy sighed. "Great, just great... at least the second group is having a good day, I hope they have a good time."

Cortana chuckled. "I will ask them the next time I talk to them..."