Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Meta] Quotes that nicely describe Fenspace
[Meta] Quotes that nicely describe Fenspace
Found a quote and thought that I does fit Fenspace very nicely...
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

From my quotefile:

"Captain, the ship hailing us identifies itself as the Jupiter Two!" -- Uhura

"What, are you kidding? We're on a spaceship. This place is crawling with toothpicks." -- Joel Robinson, MST3K

Little Willie made a slip
While landing in his rocket ship.
See that bright, actinic glare?
That's our little Willie there.
-- Randall Garrett

SMUG INTELLECTUAL. Formerly rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

"Are you ready, my eager young space cadet?"
"All set, your heroship, sir!"

Cloaked Figure 1: Our ship is damaged.
Cloaked Figure 2: I have been hit by a bowl of bean dip.
Cloaked Figure 3: Retreat to Neptune.

Look folks, the guy named his spaceship the "Flying Fuck." We're not exactly dealing with Captain Subtlety here.

My mother was from Krypton, my father was from Alderaan... their relationship was doomed from the start.

"May I have a tour of your ship?"
"But of course!"
"Waugh!"
"What the hell is that??"
"That's our chief engineer."
"That's a fuckin' penguin!"
"Waugh!"
"The penguin said that you should be quiet before he reaches down your throat and pulls your pants up, you speciesist bastard."

Actually, Picard has more hobbies than I do, come to think of it ... clearly I need to become a starship captain to get some free time. -- Steven Marsh, Pyramid, 7/5/02

In the spaceship,
The silver spaceship,
The Lion takes control.
-- They Might Be Giants, "The Guitar"

I build castles in the air because the land is cheap...

They said you'd have to be daft to build a space station out here.

"Hey, honey, what would you say if I told you I'd built a sarcastic cute female android that looks disturbingly like a Tim Burton character? Think fast!"

"WANNABES! All of you, spitpolishing your prosthetic limbs, und whitewashing your liverspots for this wretched back-patting, smarty-party! The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the 'hello my name is' badge. He STRIKES from below like a viper! Or on high like a PENNY, dropped from the tallest building around! He has only ze one purpose: do bad things, to good people, MIT SCIENCE!!!!"

We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world forever, it seems.
With wonderful deathless ditties
We build up the world's great cities,
And out of a fabulous story,
We fashion an empire's glory;
One man with a dream, at pleasure,
Shall go forth and conquer a crown.
And three with a new song's measure
Can trample an empire down.
We, in the ages lying
In the buried past of the earth,
Built Nineveh with our sighing,
And Babel itself with our mirth;
And o'erthrew them with prophesying
To the old of the new world's worth;
For each age is a dream that is dying,
Or one that is coming to birth.
-- Arthur Machen, "Dreamer's Ode"

Hm. I think my mental image of Fenspace is a bit more surreal than other peoples'.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Eh, I got nothing. But this does have quotes, is funny as all hell, and proves that the folks at NASA belong among the Fen. Big Grin

http://www.astronautix.com/articles/spaedout.htm

“There are periods of history when the visions of madmen and dope fiends are a better guide to reality than the common-sense interpretation of data available to the so-called normal mind. This is one such period, if you haven't noticed already.” ~ Robert Anton Wilson & Robert Shea, The Illuminatus! Trilogy
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea is asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace; we've got work to do!"

The Doctor, at the end of his original televised run, 1986.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

"Homo Sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts and now here they are, out amongst the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to out-sit eternity. They're indomitable....indomitable."

4Doc, The Ark in Space
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

As awesome (in both modern and ancient senses) as the Doctor is, I'm not sure the "out-sit eternity" speech fits the tone of Fenspace. The "we've got work to do" speech, on the other hand, is perfect. The People of Fenspace are, above all other things, proactive.

The Fen... So fraggin' proactive that they'll even beat the Heat-Death of the Universe. Some way or another. Smile

Well sure, they'll just soak the Universe in handwavium and uplift it to something with more power and better endurance.
-- Bob
---------

We'll call it Second Impact, with the Big Bang being First Impact. Wink

blackaeronaut Wrote:The Fen... So fraggin' proactive that they'll even beat the Heat-Death of the Universe. Some way or another. Smile
Would you like a contract? -- QB
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:
blackaeronaut Wrote:The Fen... So fraggin' proactive that they'll even beat the Heat-Death of the Universe. Some way or another. Smile
Ben: "No, I'd like to know how to find your creators so I can put their heads on pikes."

blackaeronaut Wrote:
Foxboy Wrote:
Ben: "No, I'd like to know how to find your creators so I can put their heads on pikes."
Noah: "Aw, Ben, you got suckered into a contract for that? Never ask an omnipotent asshole for anything!"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Prog: "I think Ben meant he would like to put QB's creators' heads on pikes instead of a contract, not as part of one."

Okay, I think we've wandered far afield of the original topic. Care to split the divergence off into its own thread, and return this one to quotes only?
-- Bob
---------

http://zenpencils.com/com...e-the-most-of-this-life/

"Make the most of this life."

The last line of this video.
in General Chatter, dark seraph Wrote:
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of