Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Meta] OTL Private Space Corporations
[Meta] OTL Private Space Corporations
With the recent advacements of private space flight in OTL, especially SpaceX, I have been wondering...
How did companies like SpaceX, Armadillo or Bigelow fare in Fenspace? Did they just end up going up in flames because its easier to pay some fan with a truck go haul their sat into space? Or did they somehow manage to pull through in some way or another?
Okay, Bigelow may be able to get through with inflatable habs.
Virgin Galactic would most likely offer transportation service with a couple of waves ships or planes.
What about any other company?

I'd think that they pull through - at least, the ones with any amount of business sense will adapt to take advantage of (a) handwavium or (b) anti-handwavium laws.

SpaceX is already working with NASA on some projects; they'd just move their contract over to Artemis after the April Fool's Purchase. We've already established that British Airways and Swiss International Air Lines have small fleets of Starclippers, and I can't see Virgin Galactic not following suit.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Virgin Galactic is probably doing everything it can to lead the pack.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Virgin Galactic is probably doing everything it can to lead the pack.
I wonder if they would be still doing it from the US... because in some other states, they might be able to use Handwavium.

Of course in states like this, its easy to hire a Fen to put your stuff into orbit.

Virgin Galactic is a British company.

Warringer Wrote:Virgin Galactic is a British company.
Yeah.  The Boss Man's hobby is collecting unusual trains.  Especially British ones, like the swinging train that was supposed to swing the cars to compensate for taking the tight corners British Railways are known for at high speed.
A person that eccentric?  He was probably hot on the heels of the First Fen.  Hell, he probably had Burt Rutan on the line the day after Benjamin Rhodes went up.  (His parting message to his folks caused a stir and made headlines because his dad was working a contract doing QA checking of PCB designs at BAE - lot of security types worried about leaks.)  Burt Rutan, naturally, is all over this like flies on stink.  Before you know it, Star Ship 1 and Star Ship 2 are truly living up to their names.  Just don't give the burning rubber scent any mind.  Wink

blackaeronaut Wrote:A person that eccentric?  He was probably hot on the heels of the First Fen.  Hell, he probably had Burt Rutan on the line the day after Benjamin Rhodes went up.
You think he waited that long? I think he'd be asking "how can I get in on this?" when news of Katz Schroedinger's first trip Up made the news...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I doubt that Planetary Resources would be possible, considering that there are many asteroid miners in 2012... :p

Ryanair run regular flights between European airports and Stellvia.

Of course, 'Stellvia' actually means Central station or Genaros. You have to get a shuttlebus across at your own expense. Oh, and if you want to bring anything at all with you expect to pay through the nose at prices that might make you consider contacting the old hardtech space agencies. And God help you if you need to use the toilet in flight.

Still, €155 Shannon to 'Space' isn't to be sniffed provided you don't want to bring more than carryon luggage with you. (And know how to avoid the hidden booking fees)

The waved 737's on the other hand are notorious for being the oldest in the fleet. And for being quirky buggers since they were likely one of the first things on this fecky green rock to actually get waved.