Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marduk City

ECSNorway Wrote:The Jason was running around with it in 2016, but that was his private schtick, not public tech.

Yes, I think that was exactly what we discussed in an earlier forum thread.

[Meta/RFC] Decission on hardlight/solid-hologram tech
Wiki: Hardlight Holograms

Quote:[b]robkelk wrote:[/b]

if you want a safe run, 

It's a fen copy of the running of the bulls. It, like its 'dane counterpart, should be safe... for a given value of safety, one with almost certainly involves truly shocking amounts of alcohol.

(fun trivia: Pamplona's Running is a week long festival, with runs every morning. At about 8-ish in the morning. Spanish usual "Pub hours" start well after 11 pm, and discos are practically empty until 2:00 am or so. I don't think I exaggerate much when I say that, at least 90% of the people running are still up after an entire night of partying and drinking)
The zombies of course are not going to attack someone (well, maybe claw a bit at the slowest or drunkst moro... er partygoers) or be contagious, or do much other that shamble and moan "braaaains" and "cerebrossss" from time to time, so they don't need anything too complex. I was thinking on simple robots.
Wait, on a second though, I think I will go for special robots and a variety of Ace's handwaved sexdolls -it has the advantage that it allows for necromancers and voodoo priests to wave zombies without getting into the whole "corpse" or "undead apocalypse" messes once the festival is over.
And a second advantage, just imagine the pure bliss the editors at Fox News will get when they heard the news that a fen city just placed an order for two hundred sex dolls, wich they need for their festival next month. The guy will have so many scandalous tnagents that they will need a special edition.
The festival, of course, starts on October 24 and lasts one week until Halloween Night...

How about a week-long virtual battle tournament, with loads of different genres, the highlights of which are broadcast every night on TV in the week running up to the festival. Then, the two winners of the tourney get to fight in out, in Marduk city, using light-and-sound only full-sized giant monsters, such as Godzilla vs. Mothra?

For extra kudos, SfX people get to compete in generating the real time collateral damage, as holographics (probably only AIs would be fast enough to pull this off, though humans aren't excluded). This might have people watching from now-invisible 'demolished' buildings, as the giant monsters continue to rampage through the city.
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

IOW, the way Nivens and Barnes initally wrote up Dreamworld, Ace?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I don't think it fits too well with Marduk, but I like the festival. Let's move it to Kandor, which is a Super city. And of course there must be at least one aniversary edition finals in Tokyo. With a newly discovered quirk where the Kaiju suddenly start ignoring orders, leave the stadium and head for Tokyo Tower.
Antigravity units and solid hologram tech, once we are around 2020 and it is available, have a lot of excellent posibilities for festival and other public spectacles. I think many cities will have special events with then.

Star Ranger4 Wrote:IOW, the way Nivens and Barnes initally wrote up Dreamworld, Ace?
Do you mean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Park
This was not the direct inspiration (I don't think I've seen that write-up), I'd got an idea for something like a "Feast of Beasts", or a Fen-friendly version of something like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight%21_Iczer_One
without real collateral damage.  Godzilla is known better than Iczer, so that seemed far more likely to get a following.  This is also about RPG-ing as spectacle, maybe the Fen equivalent of "Big Brother" if you want to be tacky.  Then, there was the question of where you'd get the final competitors, so I put in the week-long VW tourney.  You have to prove you're really good before you get on the Big Stage.
If you wanted to, you could have 'live' showing of the VR tourney on an outdoors big screen, say in the equivalent of Times Square NY, in the week before the Big Fight.
Unlike "Dream Park", this was supposed to be on a grand rather than an individually heroic scale, and the 'players' would be Kaiju, instead of holo-cloaked humans:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiju
--

Yes, I do, but in this case I was more reffering to certain scenes of the book where the protagonist is in the control room watching the game masters do their things with the controls.

NO QUARTER!!!

hey... they released a new one? needs to buy!

NO QUARTER!!!

Discussion moved to new thread: http://drunkardswalkforum...9564/RFC-Feast-of-Beasts
--

Rakhasa Wrote:
Quote:[b]robkelk wrote:[/b]

if you want a safe run,   
It's a fen copy of the running of the bulls. It, like its 'dane counterpart, should be safe... for a given value of safety, one with almost certainly involves truly shocking amounts of alcohol.

(fun trivia: Pamplona's Running is a week long festival, with runs every morning. At about 8-ish in the morning. Spanish usual "Pub hours" start well after 11 pm, and discos are practically empty until 2:00 am or so. I don't think I exaggerate much when I say that, at least 90% of the people running are still up after an entire night of partying and drinking)
The zombies of course are not going to attack someone (well, maybe claw a bit at the slowest or drunkst moro... er partygoers) or be contagious, or do much other that shamble and moan "braaaains" and "cerebrossss" from time to time, so they don't need anything too complex. I was thinking on simple robots.
Wait, on a second though, I think I will go for special robots and a variety of Ace's handwaved sexdolls -it has the advantage that it allows for necromancers and voodoo priests to wave zombies without getting into the whole "corpse" or "undead apocalypse" messes once the festival is over.
And a second advantage, just imagine the pure bliss the editors at Fox News will get when they heard the news that a fen city just placed an order for two hundred sex dolls, which they need for their festival next month. The guy will have so many scandalous tnagents that they will need a special edition.
The festival, of course, starts on October 24 and lasts one week until Halloween Night...
How about a competition to put garlands on the zombies, or party hats, or, for the really ambitious, Hawaiian shirts? [grin]
I still want to know what vegetarian zombies say instead of "Brains..."...  I don't think "Grains..." is 'punchy' enough...

For extra fun, could you get "Ghostbusters" involved?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters

So, does Marduk City have a "National Anthem":

[grin]
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:I still want to know what vegetarian zombies say instead of "Brains..."...  I don't think "Grains..." is 'punchy' enough...
Bran... bran...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ace Dreamer Wrote:I still want to know what vegetarian zombies say instead of "Brains..."...  I don't think "Grains..." is 'punchy' enough...
Eeek... No, just no. Once you get Vegetarian Zombies, you are just one short step to Vegetarian Vampires, and one you reach that  it's already too late and you have fallen to the Sparkly side of the Goth.

What do you think about creating some kind of waved silly putty/make up that once it touches your skin, covers you and makes you look like a zombie for a few hours/until you wash it? You could put in on a small tank inside the Zombie Robots, and when they bite or scratch a victim they join the undead horde. It would add some excitement to the garlands and party hats competition, but I don't know how likely would it be to create something like this that avoids the risk of accidental biomods...

How about a zombie version of the "Rei Gun" that Brains encountered?

http://www.fenspace.net/i...Chapter_3#Deadly_Weapons

That would involve a light bee (maybe carrying an extra battery), and remove any risk of contamination. They aren't cheap, but you could try and collect to recycle them, later. Maybe, as the zombies have to touch to 'infect' people, a zombie toad?

I think any gunk which looks like biomod-ing handwavium is really a good idea to avoid.
--

I think I will go for the safe (and boring) path: Miniature holographic projectors, that the zombie robots put in place once they catch a victim -it's a festival, after all, so people should be willing to participate and engage a little suspention of disbelief.

Of course it also means that the actual holos will not be ready until the late 201's, but I can live wth a festival than grows up in complexity each year -from a group of people in make up in 2012, to an entire horde of zombie robots that catch and infect victims, rains of fire, flying demons, landmarks and entire districts turned into hauted post-apocaliptic ruins via solid holograms, etc. in Season 3

Rakhasa Wrote:I think I will go for the safe (and boring) path: Miniature holographic projectors, that the zombie robots put in place once they catch a victim -it's a festival, after all, so people should be willing to participate and engage a little suspension of disbelief.

Of course it also means that the actual holos will not be ready until the late 201's, but I can live wth a festival than grows up in complexity each year -from a group of people in make up in 2012, to an entire horde of zombie robots that catch and infect victims, rains of fire, flying demons, landmarks and entire districts turned into haunted post-apocalyptic ruins via solid holograms, etc. in Season 3
It is the hard light holographics which are not available until later.  If you don't need touch, as well as sight, then people have been hacking that sort of wave tech together practically from Day One.  You just need a good supply of holo zombie toads...  Any competent voodoo Mad should be able to make those from a cauldron of tank-grown toad spawn, micro projector lenses, and video tapes...  Just make sure they get a good supply of holo flies...
Also, remember if you zombiefy people, they can make more zombies themselves.  So, you'll need to have at least a small supply of toads (three?) riding on each of them.
--

I suddenly think a set of miniature hologram projectors mounted in a pair of earrings could be a useful thing.

Augmented reality. Alternate reality. Browsing the internet while driving....

Dartz Wrote:I suddenly think a set of miniature hologram projectors mounted in a pair of earrings could be a useful thing.

Augmented reality. Alternate reality. Browsing the internet while driving....
I've seen more that twenty-year old research (25yrs+?) that found that doing anything with your eyesight while driving, apart from actually driving, was dangerous.  Using your hearing, and voice, while driving uses some attention, but is nothing like as dangerous.  Remember, killing or injuring yourself is one thing, taking other people with you...  I wonder how long it will be before the first nasty road accident that can be reasonably blamed on Google Glass occurs...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Glass
Of course in Fenspace, I guess it is space craft accidents we need to be concerned with. [grin]
"It wasn't me, oshifer, my AI was driving at the time." [grin]
--

So long as it's in your line of sight and doesn't distract your attention away from driving... it can only help. A properly constructed AR system could really help with spotting hazards and the like because it can be created with the limitations of the human vision system in mind.

I suppose, there's a reason a lot of spacecraft have minds. "I' afraid I can't let you do that, Dave"

Dartz Wrote:So long as it's in your line of sight and doesn't distract your attention away from driving... it can only help. A properly constructed AR system could really help with spotting hazards and the like because it can be created with the limitations of the human vision system in mind.

For an entire generation alreday we have been trained to act in a working space where you have a series of extra data in the area around your line of sight: Video games, with all the health bars, enemy counters, inventory lists and maps in the corners of the monitor. It only needs to be placed in the proper location, and be relevant enough for the current situation, to avoid distractions.
For that matter, almost from the beginning cars have had the speed counter just under your line of sight, and now they have added GPS. Of course, you need to apply common sense, so there is simply not helping those morons who will turn on their car DVDs to watch "Things That Explode 3" while driving 80 mph in the highway.

Dartz Wrote:So long as it's in your line of sight and doesn't distract your attention away from driving... it can only help. A properly constructed AR system could really help with spotting hazards and the like because it can be created with the limitations of the human vision system in mind.

I suppose, there's a reason a lot of spacecraft have minds. "I' afraid I can't let you do that, Dave"
You might want to be a bit careful...  Weren't earrings with pretty good communicators built-in a characteristic of the "Dirty Pair"?  (Sorry, 'Lovely Angels'.)
The problem with an AR system is that it would practically need an AI built-in to figure-out how not to interfere with someone's assessment of their driving environment.  It is the AR advert overlays that might concern me...
--

Where do you think I got the idea? What OVA do you think I'm watching Right Now? Tongue

Advert overlays? This is why adblock+ is a thing?

And think of the liability issue if your advert caused an accident?

Dartz Wrote:Where do you think I got the idea? What OVA do you think I'm watching Right Now? Tongue

Advert overlays? This is why adblock+ is a thing?

And think of the liability issue if your advert caused an accident?
I've got a number of old "Dirty Pair" fansubs, on VHS tape.  I should really check they're still watchable, and maybe digitise them to DVD, at some point.
I can quite imagine a continued battle between advertisers and viewers, unless the whole business of "agreement to be advertised at" gets properly settled.  At some point I suspect we'll either have to be micro-charged, or accept that we must see the adverts, and ad-blocking will become something only hackers do - no matter how people delude themselves, TANSTAAFL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ch_thing_as_a_free_lunch
I suspect that the advertisers will be more concerned about getting their "face time" than what your eyes are needed for...  So, a hacker who gets 'free' views by trying to subvert the "pay by micro-charge or get advertised at" logic had better have a robot driving their vehicle, or they could be the one blamed for any accident.  Arguably broken logic, but look how chip-and-pin (a less secure service than the old cheque book and guarantee card) has shifted the legal responsibility for almost all payment fraud to the customer.
--

I think there is a good chance Brains might gift Oscar with one of these:

http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/top ... ic-Machine

that is, assuming he is willing to drink tea-flavoured blood in an emergency. [grin]
--

~Oscar glances at the porcelain tea cup he is sipping~ ~hides the suspiciously red milk jar behind the kettle~

Tea-flavored blood? Why, I never...

So that would be milk in the red-topped bottles? [grin]
--