Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obscurity as a virtue?
Obscurity as a virtue?
Due to looking at "Drunkards Walk", after wandering away for a few years, I was led to Fenspace...
I was wondering about introducing a "No Name Fan" (as opposed to BNF) starting back in Season Zero.
He'd be a British SF/miniatures wargaming fan who was a bit (a lot) of a recluse.  His particular area would be making things that were naturally invisible, via handwaving negative refractive index meta materials, among other tricks, with the aim to keep himself under the authorities radar, and having a home on the far side of the Moon.  Also ways of avoiding hadwavium accidents, while building stuff.  Stuff being mostly Robots and Spaceships.
He'd be mostly really into obscure fandom, like original "Mighty Atom" (Astro Boy) and Gerry Anderson's "Fireball XL5", with a good dose of early space opera, like Van Vogt, John W Campbell, and, of course, 'Doc' Smith.  Mind you, I was looking at the Tottoro 'cat bus' as an interesting AI vehicle...
One reason he went this way is he got his fingers sort of burned with his first big handwavium project.  Though you could read this other ways...
Part of the logic is not treading on other people's toes, though I'm a bit worried I might be using tech which stretches what you should do in Fanspace too much.
I've written a few test stories, the first actually set in Season One, the rest in Season Zero.
Could someone please point me to info on what I need to do so people can see these stories, and maybe comment on them?
I'm looking for feedback, and collaboration so stories don't just involve my characters, and original NPCs.
Ta, and, Cheers!
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Bonus points if you are not naming him even once in the stories. Wink

Stories go to forums. Don't hold back!

And welcome to Fenspace.

Don't worry about stepping on people's toes, most of us wear steel-cap boots Smile. Anyway, characters tend to grow and do odd things as they get written, regardless as to what the author wants

> Bonus points if you are not naming him even once in the stories. Wink

Sorry, immediate fail on this. His fandom name is "Dr Scure" though...

> Stories go to forums. Don't hold back!

Thanks for welcome! OK. Story "Home Visit" posted - I think I did it right!

This was the first story written, and the rest (all Season Zero) were done later.

Cheers!
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:I'm looking for feedback, and collaboration so stories don't just involve my characters, and original NPCs.
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Characters]Open Characters are your friends, here... at least until your characters get sufficiently developed so the rest of us know how (or if) our characters would be able to interact with them.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

When you arrive at Season 2, I would be happy to do some joined stories...

[/url]
Quote:[url=http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Category:Open_Characters]Open Characters
are your friends, here... at least until your characters get
sufficiently developed so the rest of us know how (or if) our characters
would be able to interact with them.
Currently looking at these...
Quote:When you arrive at Season 2, I would be happy to do some joined stories...
Thanks.
--