Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Technology] Mortality Deferred
[Technology] Mortality Deferred
Mortality Deferred - 23/Jun/2012
Quite a lot of Fen are from the 'baby boomer' generation.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomer )
By 2007 these are about 45-60 years old.  There is a big general population bulge in a lot of the Western world about this age.
Longevity will be a serious issue for these, not just "life extension", but more critically "health extension".
How will the availability of biomodding in Fenspace affect this?  Will people get a "Biomod" stamp on their passport if they visit much of Terra, and need a "Certified Biomod" stamp to pass the border of some places?
[['Certified Biomod' would be an approved certification agency confirming that the biomod would not be "a danger to general public safety".  Or, maybe you'd need "Biomod Insurance" to pay for consequences?  Some places are very twitchy about weapons, or even people with senior martial arts qualifications (see urban myth "My hands are registered as deadly weapons").]
Would all the borders agencies be buying "Biomod Detector" scanners to check people arriving from Fenspace?
Anyone who has a biomod process with livable quicks that delivers "health extension" (minus 25 years, or reduced to equivalent health age of 25, would be a good start) might have a lot of 'health tourists' on visits from Terra.
That would give enough time for you to hope hard tech health extension could play catch-up.
Then there are the people with the back-street (Fenspace) clinics running scams...
Boskone running "immortality treatment" scams?  ('Immortalisers'?)
Would such scams be against the style of story that suites Fenspace?
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

"Immortality Treatment" scams might nab some fodder for the Catgirling Machines/Claymores/etc . Any other Boskone program needing victims might have a ready source of gullibles or unfortunates.

Quote:[['Certified Biomod' would be an approved certification agency confirming that the biomod would not be "a danger to general public safety". Or, maybe you'd need "Biomod Insurance" to pay for consequences? Some places are very twitchy about weapons, or even people with senior martial arts qualifications (see urban myth "My hands are registered as deadly weapons").]

Jet: You think it's a joke. I stopped laughing the moment the officer handed me the forms.

Ace Dreamer Wrote:Mortality Deferred - 23/Jun/2012

Quite a lot of Fen are from the 'baby boomer' generation.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomer )

I would say most of the Fen are from the "next" generation... so their parents are from the baby boomer generation. Wink

While most of the Fen are GenX or GenY, there are a few Boomers [1] out there... including a noticeable fraction of the SMOF.

[size=smaller][1] No, not the type the Knight Sabers fight.[/size]
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:While most of the Fen are GenX or GenY, there are a few Boomers [1] out there... including a noticeable fraction of the SMOF.

[size=smaller][1] No, not the type the Knight Sabers fight.[/size]

With Noahs interest in building humanoid robots, I would not be that sure Wink

HRogge Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:While most of the Fen are GenX or GenY, there are a few Boomers [1] out there... including a noticeable fraction of the SMOF.

[1] No, not the type the Knight Sabers fight.
With Noahs interest in building humanoid robots, I would not be that sure Wink
I've seen some rules for "Genom Home Deliveries", where you receive a "Do It Youself" (DIY) build your own Sexaroid (33S) in a box...
Do you think someone should send Nene one? [grin]
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:I've seen some rules for "Genom Home Deliveries", where you receive a "Do It Youself" (DIY) build your own Sexaroid (33S) in a box...
only if you want her to HUNT YOU DOWN, or worse, have JMC never deliver to you again.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Star Ranger4 Wrote:
Ace Dreamer Wrote:I've seen some rules for "Genom Home Deliveries", where you receive a "Do It Youself" (DIY) build your own Sexaroid (33S) in a box...
only if you want her to HUNT YOU DOWN, or worse, have JMC never deliver to you again.
She wouldn't have to open the box.  It'd be very clearly labelled on the outside. [grin]
--

Quote:Ace Dreamer wrote:

I've seen some rules for "Genom Home Deliveries", where you receive a "Do It Youself" (DIY) build your own Sexaroid (33S) in a box...
Here's a point. She has memories from at least 8-9 separate BGC realities. Of those realities, all but two of them involve Sylvie and Anri in some form... and in most of them, those two died.

Sending one to her as a joke would be at best in poor taste.
And just remember, just because she owns her own hardsuit does not mean she won't have other means to come after you if she's in a bad mood the day she gets that box.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

JFerio Wrote:
Quote:Ace Dreamer wrote:

Here's a point. She has memories from at least 8-9 separate BGC realities. Of those realities, all but two of them involve Sylvie and Anri in some form... and in most of them, those two died.
Sending one to her as a joke would be at best in poor taste.
And just remember, just because she owns her own hardsuit does not mean she won't have other means to come after you if she's in a bad mood the day she gets that box.
I quite agree with you.  It would be in quite bad taste to send her a blank, untemplated, 33S.  I've not written any characters for Fenspace who would, I think, do that.
If I remember the fanfic right, the Nene who received the DIY 33S kit hadn't at that point met any, and, suspected she might have ordered it, herself, while drunk/high with some hacker friends, at a hacking party.  Several years before.
Would someone be willing to be cross-loaded into a 33S so as to not die, or deal with some other serious health problem?
--

About the original post... I think "immortality" or "age regression" scams are always an option, both during the Boskone war and before/after.

But most people on Earth would be very sceptic I think.

Dartz Wrote:"Immortality Treatment" scams might nab some fodder for the Catgirling Machines/Claymores/etc . Any other Boskone program needing victims might have a ready source of gullibles or unfortunates.
Quote:[['Certified Biomod' would be an approved certification agency confirming that the biomod would not be "a danger to general public safety". Or, maybe you'd need "Biomod Insurance" to pay for consequences? Some places are very twitchy about weapons, or even people with senior martial arts qualifications (see urban myth "My hands are registered as deadly weapons").]
Jet: You think it's a joke. I stopped laughing the moment the officer handed me the forms.
The only reference I can find in Fenspace to "Claymore" is here:
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... vitational
And, that is a fun waved version of the classic post WWII weapon.
Something to do with the Clays?  Agatha Clay and Quattro wanting 'lab rats?
--

HRogge Wrote:About the original post... I think "immortality" or "age regression" scams are always an option, both during the Boskone war and before/after.

Depends how desperate you are...
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:
HRogge Wrote:About the original post... I think "immortality" or "age regression" scams are always an option, both during the Boskone war and before/after.

If you do not believe the offer, you will most likely not even try it. Especially with all those crazy horror stories running around about whats going on during the Boskone war.

HRogge Wrote:
Ace Dreamer Wrote:

If you do not believe the offer, you will most likely not even try it. Especially with all those crazy horror stories running around about whats going on during the Boskone war.
The scams probably started before the war.   There'd probably be both the horror stories and reliable documentaries about people 'youthened' by biomod, in the Terra media:
http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/top ... /1/?page=1
Hopefully you're happy with this. [grin]
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:Would someone be willing to be cross-loaded into a 33S so as to not die, or deal with some other serious health problem?
Someone might, but I ask that this not be explored yet.

(Not because it's wrong for Fenspace, but because - depending on how it's written - it might interfere with a story I have on the back-burner.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Here are my opinions:

Immortality and Age Reduction scams - I can easily see this happening.

Quite frankly, a Biomod is a life extension treatment. First it is a emergancy medical treatment, allowing the recepient to continue living where they otherwise would not.

Second, depending on the nature of the biomod even major surgery cannot remove it. This implies hefty regeneration levels. Those biomods with homeostasis effects show this more readily, what with healing rapidly and without scaring. Of course, there is the slight fact that with homeostasis a person will look the same age (more or less at least, I can see grey hairs appearing) means most will think them immortal. Untill they keel over from unseen aging...

Third, the nature of Handwavium to preserver/protect life must also be taken into account. Even the slightest Handwavium contamination may extend your lifespan.

Transference to another (artifical) body - Given that this has already happened (Wave Convoy being the primary example, although the victims of the Catgirlling Machine may also qualify), and that mind accessing tech exists...

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:Here are my opinions:
[snip]

Transference to another (artifical) body - Given that this has already happened (Wave Convoy being the primary example, although the victims of the Catgirlling Machine may also qualify), and that mind accessing tech exists...
I could make a good case that what the Catgirling Machine does is kill someone, and make a new living being out of their remains (which may include their memories).  So, you die.  And are 'reincarnated'.  That would make sense of why it is a modified "Julien Friez" machine, as that makes a human out of non-living ingredients.
Someone trying to make a "Weapon X" creation process like that is even more monstrous than the normal way of looking at the CGM.  This also explains how the "one biomod" rule is broken - maybe you could write the rule "one biomod per lifespan"...
--

And most of the Minimalist Spacers are Baby Boomers.

Warringer Wrote:

And most of the Minimalist Spacers are Baby Boomers.
As are the entire adult crew of the Grover's Corners.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.