Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riding the Wave
Riding the Wave
'Riding the Wave' is a weekly half hour TV show produced and transmitted from Babylon .5.  Each episode explores a theme/topic in fandom (such as Villains, Time travel, Tolkien, or Censorship).
Using a network of Fen and Fendanes on Earth, the show's producers interview various authors, directors, actors, comicbook writers, ect.  The interviews usually get the person's views on as many as a dozen topics in one sitting which are then spread out amongst the appropriate episodes.
The show's format and look are both heavily inspired by the canadian TV program 'Prisoners of Gravity' which ran from 1989 to 1994, even to the point of replicating Prisoner's 'pirating' of another show's timeslot.
All of the recent story posts finally got me to finish one of the ideas I had bouncing around.
Prisoners of Gravity was produced by TVOntario (TVO), ran from '89 to '94, and starred Rick Green (The Frantics, The Red Green Show, History Bites)
http://ww3.tvo.org/program/120086/prisoners-of-gravity
The intro for Prisoners of Gravity would fit so well into Fenspace, despite been made more than a decade before hand. 8P
(starts around 1:08 into part 1 below)
There are several episodes on Youtube (usually broken into 3 ten minute sections) including this one I found, discussing Shared worlds. 8)
pt1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5BG_p3tkao
pt2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmTJ6oGqgvk
pt3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjCYBFW_IA
edit for typo.

Sounds interesting, but I'm afraid I've not (yet) seen any of the original.

I'd be interested to see what you might write on this.
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Sounds like a show that Kohran Li would guest-star on frequently... in her "Red Lad" persona, not as herself, but still discussing the Science! that's being featured some weeks.

(Fun Fact: the host of "Prisoners of Gravity" would go on to write for "The Red Green Show" as well as appear on-screen.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Here's another episode that's particularly appropriate for Fenspace. An episode focused on Fans. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/wa...&list=PL29B74545D8F713C5

Fleshing out this write up, then I'll have to try and remember my password for the fenspace wiki so I can post it there.
'Riding the Wave' (RtW) is a weekly half hour long TV show produced and transmitted from Babylon.5.  Each episode explores a theme/topic in fandom (such as Villains, Time travel, Tolkien, or Censorship).
Using a network of Fen and Fendanes on Earth, the show's producers interview various authors, directors, actors, comicbook writers, ect.  The interviews usually get the person's views on as many as a dozen topics in one sitting which are then spread out amongst the appropriate episodes.  A smaller (but far more mobile) group of Fen likewise interview various BNFs and other notable fen for their views.
The show's format and look are both heavily inspired by the canadian TV program 'Prisoners of Gravity' (PoG), which ran from 1989 to 1994, starring Rick Green (a member of The Frantics comedy troupe, he also wrote for and co-starred on The Red Green show (Adventures with Bill), and hosted the quirky history program 'History Bites')
Riding the Wave's homage to PoG extends to the point of replicating PoG's 'pirating' of another (completely fictional) show's timeslot (Where PoG constantly interrupted a wildlife show called 'Second Nature', RtW overrides a poltical discussion show called ____).  The opening credits also echo that of PoG, but then, Prisoner's opening was quite Fen-like itself.
Durring the Boskone War, one episode discussed the Boskone threat (and the many other factional names for them), ways to protect oneself from Boskone raids, and discussed several of the Boskones' major crimes and goals. Following the broadcast, a moderate sized force of Boskone  ships attacked Bab.5 only to run afoul of the stations greatly upgraded defences, which had been completed the week before the episode aired.

Rumors are circulating that the production team are trying to get the rights (and test programs?) to make a Fenspace version of Deadliest Warrior, in which they would matchup various sci-fi/Fantasy/ect warriors  (some rumored match ups include Cardassians vs Mimbari, Battledroids vs Cylons, and Wave Convoy vs Megatron)
hmm, I wonder if I should change it to being an hour long instead.
Any suggestions as to the name of the jammed political show?

How about "Politics Outside Gravity"? (POG) [grin]
"Politics Off Gaia"?
--

I was thinking something sillier, after all, within a few seconds it'll start to be 'over-ridden/jammed/pirated' by Riding The Wave. I was thinking something to poke fun at the pundits and talking heads Earthside. 'Hotte/Aire' maybe (in the style of the Lang-O'leary Exchange)

At the end of each Prisoners ep, when they switched back to Second Nature's 'endcredits' (actually the Prisoners of Gravity credits), there'd be a silly little blub voiceover. Like this one from the Fans episode I linked to above:

"Next week on Second Nature, we'll meet an anthropologist who can use a radio carbon detector to find any date up to 40,000 BC, but can't use a phone to find a date for next saturday."

You don't think it'd work better if you played the over-ridden program totally seriously?

With a serious name, such as a program might actually choose?

I think it'd be fun if the end bit was actually the sort of politics programme that'd have people saying "You know, that sounds like a program I'd liked to have seen". [grin]
--

Timote Wrote:I was thinking something sillier, after all, within a few seconds it'll start to be 'over-ridden/jammed/pirated' by Riding The Wave. I was thinking something to poke fun at the pundits and talking heads Earthside. 'Hotte/Aire' maybe
Maybe "Hotte/Ayre" to make it slightly less obvious...

Timote Wrote:(in the style of the Lang-O'leary Exchange)
"Hotte, you ignorant slut..."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Version the third
'Riding the Wave' (RtW) is a weekly half hour long TV show produced and transmitted from Babylon.5. Each episode explores a theme/topic in fandom (such as Villains, Time travel, Tolkien, or Censorship).Using a network of Fen and Fendanes on Earth, the show's producers interview various authors, directors, actors, comicbook writers, ect. The interviews usually get the person's views on a dozen or more topics in one sitting which are then spread out amongst the appropriate episodes. A smaller (but far more mobile) group of Fen likewise interview various BNFs and other notable fen for their views.
The show's format and look are both heavily inspired by the Canadian TV program 'Prisoners of Gravity' (PoG), which ran from 1989 to 1994, starring Rick Green (a member of The Frantics comedy troupe, he also wrote for and co-starred on The Red Green show (Adventures with Bill), and hosted the quirky history program 'History Bites')
Riding the Wave's homage to PoG extends to the point of replicating PoG's 'pirating' of another (completely fictional) show's timeslot. Where PoG constantly interrupted a wildlife show called 'Second Nature', RtW overrides a poltical mudslinging debate show called 'Hotte/Ayre', the surnames of the 2 'hosts' (played by a couple of the production crew). The opening credits also echo that of PoG, but then, Prisoner's opening was remarkably Fenish itself.
Durring the Boskone War, one episode discussed the Boskone threat (and the many other factional names for them), ways to protect oneself from Boskone raids, and covered several of the Boskones' major crimes and goals. Following the broadcast, a moderate sized force of Boskone ships attacked Bab.5 only to run afoul of the stations greatly upgraded defences, which had been completed the week before the episode aired.
Rumors are circulating that the production team are trying to get the rights (and test programs?) to make a Fenspace version of Deadliest Warrior, in which they would matchup various sci-fi/Fantasy/ect warriors (supposed matchup match ups include Klingons vs Mimbari, Battledroids vs Cylons, Zerg vs Tyranids, and Wave Convoy vs Megatron)
Thinking of making it an hour long show, instead of a half-hour.

Wave Convoy versus Megatron happened in Transformers Wave Riders episodes 2, 7, 8, 13, 22, 27, 38, 40, 41, and the running battles of the season finale in 49-52. The record stands at Megatron 5, Wave Convoy 2, tie 3, unless you want to count each group battle they were both in rather than mostly-solo duels, which is practically every episode. For XO vs. Boss it's respectable. VA nd promo tour pay was a major part of what funded turning the Gnarlycurl from a bare metal spaceframe into a habitable ship.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows