Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IMG] INVADER!

Coilguns are always a tradeoff between length (=speed) and projectile mass...

High mass coilguns like the one you suggested might be a little bit slow, but if they hit they should have an excellent armor crushing ability (because of their high momentum). *G*

Star Ranger4 Wrote:hmm... I'll have to look, I just might have a Hog in the cache of stuff I've gotten the rest of this from.
There's one http://sharecg.com/v/48778/]here in 3DS, Wings3D, and Poser formats, and another one http://www.kennyscrap.com/models_air.htm]here in LWO and OBJ formats - I expect you can import at least one of those.

Edit: And http://www.ontarget3d.com/site/Products ... poser.aspx]Another one in Poser format.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I KNOW I can. The question is will it look good after I do... I do have a A-10 in .ac format, sadly its got faces problems, it looks like the original modeler used a few 'N-Gons' (faces that have more than 4 points to them) that didnt correctly survive the .ac import. So, lets take a look at the one from share cg...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

In case it becomes necessary: More free aircraft models than you can shake a (joy)stick at. Most of them are for Poser, but that just means you get to import the OBJ file and play with the textures.
--
Rob Kelk

Star Ranger4 Wrote:hmm... I'll have to look, I just might have a Hog in the cache of stuff I've gotten the rest of this from. A howizer sized coilgun? that not a doorknocker, thats a KNOCK DOWN THE DOOR AND THE WALL BEHIND IT knocker. Or "Doors? We make our OWN"
HRogge Wrote:Coilguns are always a tradeoff between length (=speed) and projectile mass...

High mass coilguns like the one you suggested might be a little bit
slow, but if they hit they should have an excellent armor crushing
ability (because of their high momentum). *G*
So glad that you both approve.  Smile  Now I'll just have to do a write up for them.
Thoughts on how effective this would be on BT armor?  Might be the gem that the Fen would need in a stand-up fight against BT mechs in Candle in the Dark.

blackaeronaut Wrote:
Star Ranger4 Wrote:hmm... I'll have to look, I just might have a Hog in the cache of stuff I've gotten the rest of this from. A howizer sized coilgun? that not a doorknocker, thats a KNOCK DOWN THE DOOR AND THE WALL BEHIND IT knocker. Or "Doors? We make our OWN"
HRogge Wrote:Coilguns are always a tradeoff between length (=speed) and projectile mass...

High mass coilguns like the one you suggested might be a little bit
slow, but if they hit they should have an excellent armor crushing
ability (because of their high momentum). *G*
So glad that you both approve.  Smile  Now I'll just have to do a write up for them.
Thoughts on how effective this would be on BT armor?  Might be the gem that the Fen would need in a stand-up fight against BT mechs in Candle in the Dark.
If you haven't got battlescreens/force fields, or ultra materials, for the defenders (I'm assuming BT is BattleTech, not British Telecom [grin]) then I'm assuming that a high mass coilgun (gauss cannon?) will at least knock most humanoid mechs over.  Their armour has the distinct problem of what to do with all that kinetic energy.
Can you use game mechanics from any mech-supporting game system to help figure this out?  I'm pretty sure heavy gauss weapons appear in some of them.
Is it sensible to ask what sort of portable power system is being used for the coilguns?  I'd have thought that'd put some limitations on just what you can do.  Heat dissipation issues?  If you've not got an atmosphere to dump energy into, that just leaves you with radiation (or ultratech), unless you plan to play fast-and-loose with the laws of thermodynamics.  Or, is that too much 'hard tech'? [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Ace Dreamer Wrote:(I'm assuming BT is BattleTech, not British Telecom [grin])
Oh, I don't know...

There's a certain whimsy to armour made out of Boston Terriers, after all.

Or maybe it's "armour" in the sense of a firewall - important for BlueTooth and BitTorrent.

If it's http://www.bluestraveler.com/]Blues Traveler, though, then it's just a suit made out of old CDs. But those were advertised back in the 1980s as being indestructible, so that Just Might Work...

(This has been yet another installment of "define your terms"...)
--
Rob Kelk

Ace Dreamer Wrote:Is it sensible to ask what sort of portable power system is being used for the coilguns?  I'd have thought that'd put some limitations on just what you can do.  Heat dissipation issues?  If you've not got an atmosphere to dump energy into, that just leaves you with radiation (or ultratech), unless you plan to play fast-and-loose with the laws of thermodynamics.  Or, is that too much 'hard tech'? [grin]
I think different Fen factions use different styles of coilguns.

Some might just use waved capacitors (especially for handguns for cyborgs) or connect them to a ships power system. Some use just pure electromagnetic acceleration, others experimenting with more crazy stuff. e.g. CI is using their Mass Effect fields to play games with the mass of the projectile, but in 2025 they still have to show any kind of hand weapon with this tech.

Depends on who you are and who you talk to... Supers supposedly have 3GW Iron Man arc reactors to play with.

I once tried to build a coilgun using mains 3-phase electricity as a linear motor. It fused with a hell of a bang when the insulation melted. And melted the breaker box where the breaker had been replaced by a nail. There was a lot of amps going through that before the wires themselves fused and broke the circuit.

Which is where I learned that generating the energy is the easy part. Containing it all.... that's hard. All that power just wants to get out. I also learned not to look directly at an arc flash... oops.

But, you could probably handwave insulation to be unmeltable. Wouldn't protect you when it gets damaged, mind.

Loss wise, you've got eddy currents generated within the coils and within the barrel itself by the changing magnetic fields. You've got heating of the cabling itself, which can get pretty high since it's proportional the the square of the current. And then the inductance of the coils as they switch on an off rapidly. The impedance from this is going to be extremely high, and be a big limiter on rate of fire.

And again, all that reactive power from the inductor will generate even more heat....

Only then, do you generate the magnetic field to propel your bullet.

Inside the bullet, you're loosing energy to eddy currents in the projectile. Friction can be minimised since there's no need to worry about barrel sealing but it'll still be there.... Oh, and you're heating the bullet.

Of course, that's without superconducting and other weird effects.

Yeah.... handwave that. It's easier. Or build a railgun and only worry about waving the rails so they don't erode after every shot.

Just use a (waved/nonwaved) superconductor for the coil, that should be easy for Fen.

You need it for both the rail- and the coilgun anyways to sidestep the heat for transfering the electric energy. Of course with a railgun, you also have to worry about the friction.

I have no idea how superconductors and magnetic fields work, only that it does some strange things.

Dartz Wrote:I have no idea how superconductors and magnetic fields work, only that it does some strange things.

CERN uses superconductive magnets for the LHC... which is in fact some kind of circular coilgun. Wink

Though with one critical difference. The magnets are rather far apart.

I was thinking of the meissner effect and wondering what it would do to the whole system. There're no magnetic fields inside the condutor, it completely rejects them. (Why superconductors float on magnets actually), so if you have a load of high energy superconducting megnets close to each other, what happens?

That said... maybe I am poking to many holes in this. But sometimes it's nice to know where the potential problems might be, even if it does 'just work;.

Dartz Wrote:That said... maybe I am poking to many holes in this. But sometimes it's nice to know where the potential problems might be, even if it does 'just work;.
But of course! Sometime it Just Works until it doesn't, and then somebody needs to know what part has to be repaired while the Boskonians are closing fast...
--
Rob Kelk

If you really want a "doorknocker", and want to stay with a WWII plane, the B-25H Mitchell was armed with four .50-cals in the nose, two two-gun .50-cal pods on the sides of the fuselage, also firing forward, its original turrets...and a forward-firing *75mm howitzer*.