Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] War On Drugs in Fenspace
[META] War On Drugs in Fenspace
How goes the "War on Drugs" in Fenspace?
Tobacco, ethanol, and caffeine seem pretty acceptable.
The various 'smart' drugs?  (Modafinil, Methylphenidate (Ritalin), Racetam, even Omega-3)
How about MDMA (Ecstacy), Cannabis, LSD?
We know about Thionite...
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

This has come up in the past... (Now where did I put that reply? ... Ah, here it is.)

As of 2014, there are no illegal drugs in Fenspace.

This is less because of the libertarian nature of Fenspace, and more from the fact that addiction to incapacitating or mind-altering drugs is self-correcting in space. (People who drug themselves into a state where they can't tend to their own needs quickly end up dead from oxygen deprivation, either because the air in their suits or cars ran out, or because they walked out an airlock without a pressure suit.)

Since avoidance of "hard" drugs is a survival trait in Fenspace, there is little market for organized criminals to fill. Generally, they don't bother.

Organized crime does take advantage of conditions in space to harvest or otherwise create drugs that can be sold on Earth. The most notorious of these is thionite, a powerful hallucinogen derived from certain strains of Venusian terraforming bacteria.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Depends on where you live what's legal or not, really.

Some parts are more strict than others. Some have different ideas of what's dangerous or not. And availability and price is always an issue.

The Crystal Cities especially are bound to be far tighter, as are places better travelled by mundanes. Out beyond, it's limited more by supply and by common sense, than anything else. Being off your head on drugs in an environment as dangerous as space is just plain stupidly dangerous.

Sitting in a grey area is broadleaf tea.... which is basically just dried broadleaf bacteria and boiled hot water. An early precursor to thionite, it's valued by some as a relaxant, and especially for preventing nightmares at night. Whether it's dependancy generating or not depends on who you talk to or who's study you believe. The flavour has been described as being like sweet, burned ginger....

robkelk Wrote:This has come up in the past... (Now where did I put that reply? ... Ah, here it is.)

As of 2014, there are no illegal drugs in Fenspace.

This is less because of the libertarian nature of Fenspace, and more from the fact that addiction to incapacitating or mind-altering drugs is self-correcting in space. (People who drug themselves into a state where they can't tend to their own needs quickly end up dead from oxygen deprivation, either because the air in their suits or cars ran out, or because they walked out an airlock without a pressure suit.)

Since avoidance of "hard" drugs is a survival trait in Fenspace, there is little market for organized criminals to fill. Generally, they don't bother.

Organized crime does take advantage of conditions in space to harvest or otherwise create drugs that can be sold on Earth. The most notorious of these is thionite, a powerful hallucinogen derived from certain strains of Venusian terraforming bacteria.
OK, thanks.  That's what I needed.  I couldn't see it in the wiki.
--

That's funny, I could have sworn it was in there somewhere...
ETA:  Ah, yes, there it is -- but basically it's Rob's text from above.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:That's funny, I could have sworn it was in there somewhere...
ETA:  Ah, yes, there it is -- but basically it's Rob's text from above.
I wasn't commenting on it's lack of presence, I was commenting on my lack of effective wiki driving skills. [grin]
--

Ah. My apologies, then.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.