Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META][RFC] Updating the current "now" to 2022

(while reading Serenitycon thread) this throws a bit of a wrench in the Gnarlycurl bombing as outlined here, since it's supposed to be shortly aftrr the descision to form the Patrol. Maybe the blackhats couldn't quite get the bomb in time to use it during the attack, so it was set in the aftermath as a followup strike? That would probably see the 'Curl hosting a fair number of 'refugees' whose ship/homes were damaged or destroyed in the battle, and they'd be well further out if coming back from outsystem.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Just when I was writing a plot for Queen serenity she goes and resigns... Well, the relevant events would be long before 2019 anyway, and I can certainly use her "retiring" (the quotes do matter....)

More seriously, I don't mind, but I agree with Ace, we should have a rought timeline, both for earth and fenspace, to tie all teh events; we can fill the detail later, if necesary.

robkelk Wrote:I've pushed the Senshi forward to 2022. Tanith decided against standing for re-election, retiring to Luna to resume social work. They elected a war hero to take her place - Sailor Atalantae became Serenity II, and one of her first orders was to resume construction of the two Hornblowers that were mothballed in drydock since the end of the Boskone War. Tai Angmeng took over as leader of the A-Team, while Sailor Atalantae's sister filled her spot on that team.
GYAH-HUH-BWA!?
Okay, it isn't that I have any objections thus far, it just caught me by surprise.  And yes, Ben will have the same reaction when he hears about it.
"And just when were you gonna tell me about it!?"
"Ah-heh-heh... Sorry?"
Really, this could make things look bad for Ben as he now has a tie with the Senshi government that is uncomfortably close.  It was one thing when that tie was, "Oh, he rescued the Queen so he's cool," but it's a whole 'nother ball of wax when it's, "Oh, she used to be his subordinate and they're pretty good friends, too."  It may even force Ben to relinquish any titles he has in their system, and anything dealings he has with them must be 100% transparent - not that it wasn't before, but the extra stress of being scrutinized like that is there now more than ever.
As for the rest of the A-Team...  I can't see them also staying in the same spot for so long.  How about this instead...  Given Tanith's long term in office, it's decided that the turnover process will be a long one.  Tanith will still hold office while Sailor Atalante gets everything setup.  This will include training the new A-Team, of which her sister will be the new Sailor Atalante (which won't be too hard given she's been an active participant on the team for a while now).  As for the rest of the original A-Team.... I can see them getting posted to various important government positions.  Smile

ClassicDrogn Wrote:Oh, one more thing to add to the timeline, though- when the Miranda returned in Dec 2014, Liza, the Starbase One AI who transferred aboard to be the ship's majordomo, reveals that the slowdowns that required putting an aux processor node online during the mission were due to a child process spawned from code exchange with WC during SWtA1b. With a proper independent laser core it developes into a full sapient and takes the name Hotseat after having a fembot/sportscar chassis built.
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! If she wants a humanoid body, we've got just the thing for her in storage - built in 2008, brought up to current specs in 2013, and guaranteed to be completely devoid of a pre-existing personality.
-signed, the shareholders of StellviaCorp

(OOC: Anyone who's read Log of the Long-Term Autonomous AI Experiment knows that four of the first batch of Noah and AC's androids didn't "wake up". She can have the Saori chassis or the Takako chassis to customize to her heart's content - Saori is shorter than Takakao. The other two chassis already have in-universe destinies.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

blackaeronaut Wrote:As for the rest of the A-Team...  I can't see them also staying in the same spot for so long.  How about this instead...  Given Tanith's long term in office, it's decided that the turnover process will be a long one.  Tanith will still hold office while Sailor Atalante gets everything setup.  This will include training the new A-Team, of which her sister will be the new Sailor Atalante (which won't be too hard given she's been an active participant on the team for a while now).  As for the rest of the original A-Team.... I can see them getting posted to various important government positions.  Smile
She can fill the role, but she can't have the title - Cobalt established that there's only one "Sailor insert-place-name-here" for any given insert-place-name-here, and Anika is still alive...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:
blackaeronaut Wrote:As for the rest of the A-Team...  I can't see them also staying in the same spot for so long.  How about this instead...  Given Tanith's long term in office, it's decided that the turnover process will be a long one.  Tanith will still hold office while Sailor Atalante gets everything setup.  This will include training the new A-Team, of which her sister will be the new Sailor Atalante (which won't be too hard given she's been an active participant on the team for a while now).  As for the rest of the original A-Team.... I can see them getting posted to various important government positions.  Smile
She can fill the role, but she can't have the title - Cobalt established that there's only one "Sailor insert-place-name-here" for any given insert-place-name-here, and Anika is still alive...
... I was not under the impression that the title stuck with that person until death.

It also means that Queen Serenity II knows who the Knight Sabers are.... Sailor Atalantae was trained by Jet while with the A-team, while Jet worked on contract with the RR to pay off the loan on the rock.

Thinking on the UBA-sponsored Merc attack on Frigga mentioned in Saber Chase. They assumed at first it was an assassination attempt because an unnamed BNF was there. Maybe it was Serenity II present.... officially to oversee a tendering process for training services, and partly because they've known each other for a few years and it's an excuse to get out of the castle and have a little fun in a hardsuit again.

Until her bodyguards stop her from going into active combat.

"This is our castle. We know how to defend it."

Would be a rather awkward moment for her, come to think of it. There might be an interesting quick story in that. "Being Queen is not all it's cracked up to be."

@Rob/Stellvians - although Hotseat thanks you for the opportunity to tease WC even more about imitating Big Sis Tigre in her (?)fictional human memories, she's happy for now without a Pretender system. Big Sis, however, has expressed interest if one could be remodeled into Eliza Dushku, depending on how anatomically correct it is. Faith misses her happy time, even if cybering with other infomorphs is its own fun. Gotta go, WC's gonna break something if he doesn't stop beating his head against the wall.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Okay, before this spirals off into another RP chat thread, let's take stock.

So we're moving the timeline up to 2022, what OTL stuff have we already added to the timeline, and what do we want to add to the timeline? We've established that the 2008 mini-depression and the 2010-current Arab Spring have at least started like they did OTL. How much more Fen involvement do we want in either of those? We've had Fen involvement in Libya, do we continue down this vein and have Fen meddle in Syria?

Do we want Obama in the White House (2013-17/21 depending, since the '08 election goes to Giuliani)? Would we rather not have Obama and give the job to somebody else (and let's be clear, it ain't going to be Giuliani again)?

I suppose another question is how trivial do we want the stuff on the timeline? The current version on the wiki has a lot of stuff that's moderately important for certain characters but only for those characters (also it needs a serious spring cleaning since nobody's bothered to update the thing since the dokuwiki days, IIRC). We can go long and trivial, or we can go shorter and more relevant to the broad scope of history.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

M Fnord Wrote:So we're moving the timeline up to 2022, what OTL stuff have we already added to the timeline, and what do we want to add to the timeline? We've established that the 2008 mini-depression and the 2010-current Arab Spring have at least started like they did OTL. How much more Fen involvement do we want in either of those? We've had Fen involvement in Libya, do we continue down this vein and have Fen meddle in Syria?
Fen involvement in Syria might leading to a direct conflict with China and Russia... not sure the Fen are willing to do so.

Quote:Do we want Obama in the White House (2013-17/21 depending, since the '08 election goes to Giuliani)? Would we rather not have Obama and give the job to somebody else (and let's be clear, it ain't going to be Giuliani again)?
Interesting question... and even further, how will the politics of the USA change towards the Fen in Season 2? Still cold war? Or slowly warming up?

Quote:I suppose another question is how trivial do we want the stuff on the timeline? The current version on the wiki has a lot of stuff that's moderately important for certain characters but only for those characters
Yes. If we put in the same amount of triviality for the rest of the Fen, the timeline will become quite full.

HRogge Wrote:
M Fnord Wrote:Do we want Obama in the White House (2013-17/21 depending, since the '08 election goes to Giuliani)? Would we rather not have Obama and give the job to somebody else (and let's be clear, it ain't going to be Giuliani again)?
 Interesting question... and even further, how will the politics of the USA change towards the Fen in Season 2? Still cold war? Or slowly warming up?
Something that makes it even more interesting -- I knew the First Lady at Princeton. (We lived in the same residential college for some years, and while we weren't friends, we had friends in common.)   IRL that means exactly zip and bupkis, as I doubt she even remembers me -- but!  Imagine the fuss in the media when it turns out that the Democratic candidate's wife has "links" to that bunch of wanted criminals on the Grover's Corners.  

Double whammy.  I worked at Business International Corp. (now part of the Economist magazine) within a year of Barack Obama working there.  And BI -- as Wikipedia notes -- had a history of being a CIA front company.  (Not that I knew it while I was there...)  Another "link" that could be twisted by a propagandist for the Republicans.  

I suspect that if this all comes out early enough, we'll have a different Democrat running against Guiliani in 2012.  
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

First thought.

Federal Geostationary Hypermax Penitentiary 'New Alcatraz'.

Second thought. Economics will drive a general warming an acceptance of the new people's in space. Rooting them out would be too expensive by 2015, both in money and manpower, compared to the rewards. While working with them generates trade, jobs, and an economic stimulus. So far, dealing the the Fenspacers has been good for the economies of the countries who've done so.... staying behind is an almost idiotic thing to do.

And while a mundane nation like the US could probably stomp its imperial boot on the plucky peoples in orbit given enough will, money and time, it's far easier to sell them grain and meat and other food products or base industrial goods, in exchange for cheaper fuels or cheaper rare-earths or whatever Fenspace is able to trade back to Earth.

It wouldn't surprise me if mundanes started slowly normalising relations, either establishing diplomatic missions to assist any citizens kidnapped, or just plain lost.... or their own personal enclaves and colonies.

Nations have no friends or enemies, only interests. Make it in their interest to do business and they'll do business. It's specifically why the government of Ireland opened themselves up.... they had nothing to lose by not doing so and it offered a chance out of a serious crisis. Quite a few other countries are bound to be taking the same approach, while those with the most to lose by a free and open society clam tightly shut.

Also?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Oops....

I thought I deleted all that line. Posting error. Nothing more.

I am about to expose a shocking ignorance of politics, but... Wasn't there some big scandal involving Giuliani recently? I'd expect a large effect from that coming out while he was in the Oval Office.

WRT Hotseat being on the official Timeline, she is the first "natural born" Cybertronian, that is, incepted from two infomorphs and a code framework from the Matrix. Even those IMs who've migrated hardware to a seibertron laser core aren't quite the same. Mainly the difference is two like her don't need the
--

Matrix directly in the loop to create another and so represent a speciation point, but it is a historical milestone, what?

grumblemutterinputlengthagaincurse...
--

From META perspective it might be the easiest to give the Republicans another 4 years of "USA stays crazy" and start normalizing their behavior starting with 2017... which will most likely take time until 2020. ^^

Dartz has a good point. Economic interests - especially given the desire to haul your country out of the recession - will always trump the political ones when it comes down to it. If nothing else, opening up for people to move up for months at a time, both getting them off the unemployment (or sitting at home being a complete nonparticipant in general) and bringing that money back into the economy when they come down for their visit/rest periods and via taxation of their income, is pretty damned enticing. This would be the political changeover - "What are you going to do to bring in the money that the Fen can let us make?"

Then there is also the cheaper hard goods, such as fuels and metals. Extraction and transport might be more difficult, but that can pale in comparison to the savings reaped by not being beholden to certain environmental laws because an asteroid has no water or atmosphere to worry about contaminating.

So, even if handwaved equipment is basically verboten in an area, the raw materials and services provided will probably be allowed to start coming into most countries that had an issue with the initial diaspora. China themselves would probably be the last of the holdouts, but not for long as even they recognize the economic powerhouse potential of letting the Fen do business.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Quote:I am about to expose a shocking ignorance of politics, but... Wasn't there some big scandal involving Giuliani recently? I'd expect a large effect from that coming out while he was in the Oval Office.

Rudy Giuliani's pretty much a walking scandal. The main reason anybody every took him seriously as a politician outside NYC was because 9/11 made him ~*~*~AMERICA'S MAYOR~*~*~ and he capitalized on it. I only made him President because in the distant year of 2007 everybody and his dog was pimping Giuliani as the shoo-in for the GOP nomination and I thought it might be funny/scary to go there.

Quote:From META perspective it might be the easiest to give the Republicans another 4 years of "USA stays crazy" and start normalizing their behavior starting with 2017... which will most likely take time until 2020. ^^

The main problem with this is that Giuliani's term in office critically wounds the GOP in a lot of ways. They can rebel against the president, but then they look weak and divided going into the election. They can't honestly stand behind him because, well, he's Rudy Giuliani and once the ~*~*~AMERICA'S MAYOR~*~*~ thing goes away he's utterly unlikeable.

M Fnord Wrote:
Quote:From META perspective it might be the easiest to give the Republicans another 4 years of "USA stays crazy" and start normalizing their behavior starting with 2017... which will most likely take time until 2020. ^^

The main problem with this is that Giuliani's term in office critically wounds the GOP in a lot of ways. They can rebel against the president, but then they look weak and divided going into the election. They can't honestly stand behind him because, well, he's Rudy Giuliani and once the ~*~*~AMERICA'S MAYOR~*~*~ thing goes away he's utterly unlikeable.

It doesn't need to be Giulian... maybe the Republicans go with a different candidate into the race. Not sure if that make sense in the US political system.

Woof... okay, not to dive too deep into political chat here, but here goes.

American political parties tend to favor whoever the sitting president is. If the guy wants to run again, then by and large the party will back him to the fullest extent - if nothing else it makes life easier for them because they don't have to go through an extensive an draining primary campaign to choose a candidate. It's possible that a party would refuse to back a sitting president, but the way things are set up it's very unlikely.

Now, because Giuliani is both a terrible president and a terrible excuse for a human being, the Republicans will largely turn their back on the guy and choose somebody else. The question then becomes who do they choose? and therein lies the problem. The Republicans going out for the 2012 campaign are pretty much the same crop of losers, freaks & no-hopers that made up the 2012 Republicans OTL. Thanks to Giuliani's mismanagement any serious Republican candidate for president is going to sit this cycle out and hope the bitterness fades by 2016.

Based on that analysis I figure the Other Guys will take the 2012 election. Though if there's an honest interest in keeping the GOP in power until 2016 we could always fluke Newt Gingrich to the imperial purple. Gingrich is a horrible man in many ways but he does love him some spaceflight; I could see him being both crazy and pro-Fen enough to thaw things[1].

[1] But! If we go this way I demand a concession in the form of Socialist and Libertarian blocs forming in the House and Senate.

There is always the possibility of unusual suspects with nations than act in fenspace.

As an example, here are my very vague concepts for Peru, which were probably never going to go beyond background noise:

Seeing the good results with hiring indonesian farm workes in Jupiter, Marduk ciy did the same for his fields and hired developing nations workers -but being a city built by a spaniard, they chose spanish speakers: Peruan (mostly natives), to be exact. Those farmers got much needed money, and experieence in space. Oscar Vykos may or may not have gotten contacts (and/or blackmail material) with peruan politicians.
Then came a second develpement, and a couple enterprising earthlings with family in Marduk began a weekly farmers market -they woulf fly from their farms in earth to the moon, and then go back home. The peruans at Nuevo Cuzco -most of then coming from farming families- saw this, and proved than fendanes are also able to have blue hair days; first a few, then docens and hundreds of peruan Mardukans sent back home care packages with several specific (and possbily illegal in earth) handwavium strains.
A few months later, the weekly Marduk marker was a huge affair, Peru had the biggest spaceport in south america (built by Genesis for unspecified rewards) near Cuzco, with hundreds of improvised spaceships (which most fen, being European and Japanese and American, woud swear should not be able to drive, much less fly interplanetary distances); the nation is starting to have its own hanwavium industry, and, as the logical result for mixing a population with poor literacy and dangerous materials, peruan quechuas have the highest percentage of biomods of any group still in earth.
There are other nations in the wiki with those chances: Indonesia, of course, which inspired me for Peru; there is also Ireland and Kazastan. Any minor nation which gets one flashy fen (or fen group) may be carried away by a surge of national pride, which would inspire more younger fen to follow the celebrity path. That is even more true if the nation is poor or often overshadowed by bigger neighbors.
That opens the path to the occasional exotic habitat; 133 Cyrene may be one minor Belter  habitat among many in Fenpace, but the small mining city of Qar?aj is a big deal in Tunisia, the place where most of its citizens are from.

M Fnord Wrote:[1] But! If we go this way I demand a concession in the form of Socialist and Libertarian blocs forming in the House and Senate.
Well, if the normal parties are not... adecuate, paths for the lesser groups appear.
(but of course there is the other side of the coin, because the paths for the right also appear. well, some extra dramatic tension never hurt anyone)

You know, in the interests of simplicity I'm gonna suggest that Gulianii looses the nomination to Romney as the rank and file republicans realise that what makes him America's Mayor makes for a Piss poor President. Take the events of the 2008 democratic nomination race and transplant them into 2012; the general turmoil results in a landslide for Obama and the Democrats as republicans in general get tarred with Guliannii's brush.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Rakhasa Wrote:
M Fnord Wrote:[1] But! If we go this way I demand a concession in the form of Socialist and Libertarian blocs forming in the House and Senate.
Well, if the normal parties are not... adecuate, paths for the lesser groups appear.
(but of course there is the other side of the coin, because the paths for the right also appear. well, some extra dramatic tension never hurt anyone)
I'm not very literate in US politics, but...
Would that mean the Tea Party breaking-away from the Republicans as a real political entity?
What about an extreme 'Christian' right-wing party?  One that pushed handwavium as being "The Devil's Tool"?  AIs as being demons invading the world, claiming equality with the children of Adam?
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind