Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ack! Rampaging Plotbunny (take 2)
Ack! Rampaging Plotbunny (take 2)
(Take 1 was eaten by yuku *grr*)
I had been thinking of how I could get a few of my characters involved with the Serenity Con storyline, made more difficult as their primary craft (The Starhawk) in in the shop getting upgraded around that time).  Inspired by my recent trip to GenCon, I decided, well, why don't they just rent a car?
*a small bunny appear*.  So, where do they rent from?  Answer: Lone Star Rent-A-Vehical (with franchises across the solar system).
*the bunny grows* If I name it Lone Star, they need to have flying Winnebagos available.
*and grows*  So where do they get a bunch of Winnebagos from?
Lone Star Rent-A-Vehical is owned by a guy calling himself Lorne Star.  Possibly an expatriot american forced to flee the anti-wavium laws, he moves to Australia and buys/builds a large carwash like building on the outskirts of, let's Melbourne, wherehe can wave the various cars/vans/ect he buys.   But repeated wavium exposure creates a quirk in the building, every 175 days a fully waved Winnebago shows up in the building.  He provides one free to each franchise (partly cause he doesn't know what else to do with them all).   Of course they also offer a range of cars, vans and trucks for rent as well (also the occasional cabin cruiser or speedboat, rigged with retractable landing gear for hard surfaces)
Possible reasons to use a rental?  a) your usual vehical is out of order/in use by someone else, b) you're someone who lives/works on a station and don't need a vehical of your own, c) Need more room than your usual vehical provides, or d) you want to go somewhere incogneto and your usual ride is 'distinctive'/easily recognisable.

Sounds good...

I like "Lone Star Rent-A-Vehicle"...

Only one flying Winnebago I know of at SerenityCon, and that is just the "SS Gee Gee" cos-playing one...

And, it doesn't appear until after the attack.

So, no problem! [grin]

((This was a longer post, but yuki ate the first draft...))
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Only one man dares give Warsies the raspberry (jam)... Lorne Star!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And what about the "Good Sam" and "Spaceballs!: The Merchandizing" bumper stickers?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll