Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Story][Season X] Great Justice 20XX
[Story][Season X] Great Justice 20XX
Great Justice 20XX - 04/Oct/2012
"We've got you this time."  GJ Mage Inspector Ketty shook the soul jar, with the attached DNA tab.  Inside the green glow didn't respond, but it definitely didn't look happy.
---
"How's it going, Zet?"  "A bit messy, Inspector, but we think we've got the lot of them.  The new teleport wards worked as advertised, and the Interwave filters stopped any of them escaping that way.  We caught three of them trying to leave the hard way, but Jaky spotted them with her spirit sight, and they're all in soul jars."
"Is it just me, or are Boskone getting more slippery these days?"  "Not sure, Sir.  They certainly don't seem as shy about getting killed.  Maybe they've got a competent necromancer on staff?  They certainly were chucking around some nasty combat magics."
Ketty lifted his Mage Crown, and scratched underneath at his developing bald spot.  His wife kept telling him they should invest in a new body for him, but he was really attached to this one.  Great Justice benefits were pretty good, but they didn't spring for body upgrades, and he wasn't getting killed in the line of duty just to get one on medical grounds.  None of the reliable standard biomods really suited him, and he felt he got a bit of extra magical 'omph' by being an unmodded human, with no longevity drugs in his system.
"Have you done the deep scans to check for any bolt holes?"  "Just doing that now, Sir."  The mage technician tapped his ear, and listened.  "We've found the last of the missing kidnap victims.  Two of them have already been catgirled, and probably memory purged."
Ketty sighed.  "Another big job for the medics.  It's never easy fixing that sort of mental damage."  "Good news, Sir.  Only one of the assault team were killed.  And, the mobile resurrection team say she should be back on her feet in half an hour.  None of the team going home in soul jars, this time."
"I suppose that is good", Ketty shook his head, "I never liked the job of going talking to relatives, in the old days".
"How's the evidence collection going?"  "I think we've got them, Sir!"  The technician grinned fiercely.  "Murder they may be able to get away with, or mental damage, as long as they pay the fines.  But, the best lawyers they can get wont save them this time."
"We've got them for tax evasion."
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

META: "Great Justice 20XX"

This is really just a bit of fun, and not meant to be taken too seriously. That would make it "Fenspace Infinities" fodder, I guess.

But, I thought it might be interesting to "road test" a few ideas.
--

Gasp! You monster! Fenspace is NOT a dystopia. Are you triing to suggest that in the future we will have... ~shudder~ I cannot even say it... IRS inspectors?

Someone has got to pay the air tax. [grin]

The suggestion is that at some point, somewhere, in Fenspace there will be a faction that legally enforces the paying of taxes.

"Don't tax me, don't tax thee, tax that man, behind that tree!" [grin]
--

I somehow get the impression that the soul jars in this vignette are old Hellman's Mayonnaise jars. Which I think would be wonderfully ludicrous.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Ace Dreamer Wrote:Someone has got to pay the air tax. [grin]

The suggestion is that at some point, somewhere, in Fenspace there will be a faction that legally enforces the paying of taxes.

"You want what? Tax?

Let me think about it...

sorry, we don't produce Tax... but maybe you could give us a research and development contract for it."

So, after Fenspace abolishes 'Death', 'Taxes' is next to be disposed of? [grin]
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:So, after Fenspace abolishes 'Death', 'Taxes' is next to be disposed of? [grin]
If you ask CI, it was the other way around Wink

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I somehow get the impression that the soul jars in this vignette are old Hellman's Mayonnaise jars. Which I think would be wonderfully ludicrous.
I was thinking about something which had contained spirits, such as whiskey ('Water of Life'), or a Leydon Jar, or maybe one of those old pickle and preserving (mason?) jars, with the metal clip...
A mayonnaise jar does sound good, though...
--