Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Games and Gaming in Fenspace
Games and Gaming in Fenspace
Let's see...

We've already established that Crystal Seattle is where the gamers hang out. PAX Venus is held there every year.

This means there's a large enough population of gamers in Fenspace to make it worthwhile to have an off-Earth PAX.

And if there are that many gamers Up, then some of them will have written their own games...

So, what are they?

I offer the first of what I hope will be a long list of suggestions that are better than this one: A multi-player strategy/resource-management game based on the founding of 125 Liberatrix, Caverns and Catgirls.

(You can do better than that, right?)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Forza Astronautica

Asteroid racing simulator featuring licensed spacecraft ranging from modified automobiles, existing racecraft, modified warplanes and specials. Unicorn craft based on famous spacecraft such as the Shuttle Melchizedek (A notorious lethal joke character in the right hands), Magnificent Midnight (One of the fastest and most expensive craft in the game), Virgil Samms (The fastest and least maneuverable) and Wave Convoy. Noteworthy for running the gamut from arcade action, all the way up to full damage and flight dynamics simulation. Many manufacturers will provide Forza Astronautica mods for the game featuring their spacecraft. The accuracy of these mods is often dubious, since they exist solely to sell spacecraft.

Call of Duty: Black Space
Popular series of FPS shooters set in and around the Boskone war, or 'inspired' by events therein. Braindead entertainment. Zombie mode especially entertaining. Player takes the role of a FESWAT trooper with a strong regenerative biomod, William Fanward, fighting from SerenityCon on up towards Boskone Prime and beyond. The plot is poor. The game is supported solely by an online component that has some pretty balanced classes ranging from standard medic/heavy/assault types, to catgirl/cyber/ace. Billy dies in the end, before being 'rebuilt' as a sequel hook.

Ace Combat X: Fires of Serenity
Pretty self explanatory. Fight the Boskone in your choice of warcraft,including replicas from multiple Ace-Combat games, famous fencraft and licensed designs. And a few of it's own. Notable for giving various endings based on your choices throughout the game, depending on how ruthless the player is.

Asteroid Mining Simulator
The sort of game beloved by those who thought Farming Simulator or Street Sweeper simulator were great things.

Cyber Blade
Cyborg troubleshooter Deus-Ex wannabee that is totally not representative of actual Troubleshooter work. Break into homes to hack computers before the occupants return and spot you. Plant listening devices on asteroids without getting caught. Chase up evidence that points to the true big-bad. Augment yourself with cool new abilities using skillpoints and parts from licensed suppliers. Race against time to fight through an asteroid base before the big-bad escapes for good. Kill a lot of mooks along the way.

On the other end of the spectrum:

Jet Jaguar ATTACK!
HTML-5 game on the Survival Shot website. 2D animated Bullet hell featuring Jet-Jaguar taking on various Boskone units in environments such as open space, countryside beneath a geodesic dome, Genaros and Frigga itself. Noteworthy for the extreme speed at which it plays at higher difficulties. And using unlicensed excerpts from the Bubblegum Crisis soundtrack. One of hundreds of it's like.... and typical of the little advertising minigames that crop up all over the place. The sole victory prize is a high-scores board on the website.

Hm. Presumably City of Heroes never has a threat of existence failure in Fenspace, as the folks on the Grover's Corners are lobbying to host a Fenspace server (probably because the transmission times between Fenspace and the earthbound servers, or just the overhead of coupling between the Internet and the Interwave, introduces more lag than people want). I think it's pretty obvious that the next step after that would be 3-D full-immersion COH, probably developed by the Supers...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Hm. Presumably City of Heroes never has a threat of existence failure in Fenspace, as the folks on the Grover's Corners are lobbying to host a Fenspace server (probably because the transmission times between Fenspace and the earthbound servers, or just the overhead of coupling between the Internet and the Interwave, introduces more lag than people want). I think it's pretty obvious that the next step after that would be 3-D full-immersion COH, probably developed by the Supers...
Dakota lives with the supers and works on holotech systems. I'm seeing a 'live action' City of Heroes event that is Kandor wide where different baddie groups appear as holoograms across the city and people can beat them up for points.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Don't forget the Fen modification to Rock Band.
Also, for more video games, Fen specific adaptations of Civilization and Oregon Trail.
There have also been attempts by some factions at various times to recreate Dragon Poker, and Fizzbin.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

A ridiculously over-engineered robotic Star Fleet Battles complete with scale working models of all of the vessels would be very Fen. 

I wouldn't doubt someone has come up with some way to do Magic: The Gathering and the card game from Yu-Gi-Oh! in holographic environments so your summons actually appear and all...
-- Bob
---------

Actually, I suspect a good percentage of the gaming industry -including the main servers for internet gaming- have already moved to fenspace.

Not only many of their buyers live there, most of the people who would eventually become gaming programers in, say, 2015 or 2020, have been living there since the war, and even before that.

It's already established that WotC, at least, has a presence on Greenwood... and probably attends Conventions.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

robkelk Wrote:I offer the first of what I hope will be a long list of suggestions that are better than this one: A multi-player strategy/resource-management game based on the founding of 125 Liberatrix, Caverns and Catgirls.

"You liked Caverns and Catgirls? Buy the Jenga Extension today!" Wink

----

I wonder if "Action Exocomp racing" counts for this thread... think Arcade style shooter mixed with Exocomp Racing.

Rakhasa Wrote:Actually, I suspect a good percentage of the gaming industry -including the main servers for internet gaming- have already moved to fenspace.

Not only many of their buyers live there, most of the people who would eventually become gaming programers in, say, 2015 or 2020, have been living there since the war, and even before that.
Okay, I'm getting old. When I said "games," I meant "tabletop games"... bit these are good too.

(A couple of rounds of "Lischinskys' Pro Astroball 2020", anyone?)
--
Rob Kelk

...suddenly envisioning a theme-park-sized implementation of "Chutes and Ladders" (AKA "Snakes and Ladders") in some low-G environment. And a park-sized "Game of Life" you drive through in little electric cars...
-- Bob
---------

sounds like something disney would add to their rock to me Bob
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Monopoly. There is a monopoly version for EVERYTHING.

The fenspace one is just slightly larger than usual....

Rakhasa Wrote:Monopoly. There is a monopoly version for EVERYTHING.

The fenspace one is just slightly larger than usual....

The Fenspace version looks like a larger set of the olympics rings... one small circle for each planet and a few for the solar system in between. Wink

L5 Monopoly - StellviaCorp paid big bucks to make sure Stellvia replaced Boardwalk.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:L5 Monopoly - StellviaCorp paid big bucks to make sure Stellvia replaced Boardwalk.
Only Broadwalk? Wink

There's plenty of spots on the board to go around...
--
Rob Kelk

which mean's Padrig's O'Niel station has to be 'Park Place' (just to rub in the#2 thing)
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Looks like I have some reading to do; I didn't know about the WotC presence on Greenwood at all. This was in a story, or a mention in a writeup somewhere?

Mentioned offhand in the writeup on Greenwood City.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.