Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fenspace pictures, for the fun of it

When I get a chance, I'll give you Google Maps coords. Can't do it right now. You can use the real neighborhood.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Here is a rough-and-tumble interior just showing one of the locks. I'm kinda digging the reflection and shadow interaction on the ground from the Geodesic dome.

The raw file, that's still being rendered is located here. I have to composite the stars into the background.

The locks are actually just cinderblock garages that were positioned in the right places -- what you have there, while nice, is a bit higher-tech (even after handwaving!) than I envisioned.
-- Bob
---------

Ah, okay.  I think I have something that would work for that.  I know I have a garage . . . somewhere.  It might be a tin-shed style garage, though.  I'll have to look.  May have to fake it.  But, that'll be when I get home and have a chance to work on it.
But, I have to start somewhere, and, even if, at the end, nothing is the same as it was when I started, at least I started somewhere.

Man, I've been trying to get this posted for nearly an hour. My Skydrive folder and Lux are not playing nice right now.

I do have a garage, and I was right, it is a tin-shed style. But, I think I might have faked it looking right with some creative texturing.

Here is my latest attempt.

Nice!

Hm. It occurs to me that if you were to read the later parts of http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... to_the_Sky]Disturbing Implications of Land Rising Into the Sky, it might give you even more to work with.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Hm. It occurs to me that if you were to read the later parts of http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... to_the_Sky]Disturbing Implications of Land Rising Into the Sky, it might give you even more to work with.
One of these years, we really should finish writing that story...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Did a quick once-over of the story.  Will read it again later, focused on the Grover's Corner bits for definition.  Do you have anything you want pictured?
ETA:  I could really use a sense of scale.  How big should that garage be?  If you look, it's freaking ginormous (there's a '36 coupe on the pad to the left).

Combined, all three garage can hold the inhabitants' small fleet of waved cars, trucks and the Vulture from Salvage I. So yeah, they're big. But... mostly it's a horizontal big, not a vertical big. Oh, and the big garage doors? They're on the space side, not the inside...
-- Bob
---------

Well, I'd figure that they'd want big doors both inside and out. That would make getting the vehicles in and out easier . . ..

So, how big is Jenga's ship Normandy?

Let's just say it's bigger than a Bolitho:
Edit: Picture updated - now shows the "right" Normandy.

[Image: 1024px-Bolitho%2BNormandy.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:So, how big is Jenga's ship Normandy?

Let's just say it's bigger than a Bolitho:

Jenga built a SR-1, which is quite a bit smaller than a SR2 (but still LARGER than a Bolitho)... but better do NOT show them a picture like this, they might say "we should try the second one until 2040" Wink

(the exact length of the CI's SR1 is in the wiki article)

EDIT:

You got a complete 3D model of the SR-2? WHERE? WHICH FORMAT? Can I have it?

Edit 2:

Here is a picture of both ships:
[Image: normandy2.jpg]

HRogge Wrote:EDIT:

ShareCG, and Poser/OBJ...
http://www.sharecg.com/daniel181
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
HRogge Wrote:EDIT:

ShareCG, and Poser/OBJ...
http://www.sharecg.com/daniel181

So the scale in your picture fits (you used the Bolithos size compared to the SR1 in the wiki), just the image is a bit misleading. Right?

Right. I increased the scale of the SR2 model so that it was 63m long in poser-person scale.
--
Rob Kelk

Found something which might be interesting for later projects.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/41447/View/5/3 ... rmandy-SR1

(edit)
I put a short comment about the image in the wiki entry.

Oh, it's Lightwave... Is there a converter for that to OBJ?

Edit: No need (at least, no immediate need) - there's a low-res version of the SR1 in my runtime.

Image updated, comment removed...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Oh, it's Lightwave... Is there a converter for that to OBJ?

Edit: No need (at least, no immediate need) - there's a low-res version of the SR1 in my runtime.

Image updated, comment removed...

WOW... *blink* just WOW.

That was FAST (and much better than my addition of the comment). Thank you.

You're welcome. (One advantage 3Dlight has over Reality is that one can render quickly...)
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, Renderman can let you knock out renders in very short order (assuming you have a good computer). I've got 3 i7s, hammering away at Lux (the actual renderer for Reality), and I'll probably get my ultrabook to do so at some point (for 4 i7s). And it still takes a couple of hours. Right now, Lux just spent 5 minutes loading the resources for another clubbing at Grover's Corners.

These are the pictures I use to explain why I went to Reality:
This image of Pink would have had me change my idea because I couldn't make the light work.
However, this was the final version which was actually better than what I was looking for.

You can do a lot of good with 3Dlight, but, bang for my buck, I'm going with Reality now.

I'm just waiting for (a) my back pay to come in, and (b) Reality to go on sale again, whichever comes second. (Although it is at the top of my Rendo public wishlist...)

Another "for fun" image... Kohran's down to one spare body - not a good thing when she works with explosives so often.

[Image: 6ef36f081e2d4466a0172a211adc0dc5d7d72066.png]
--
Rob Kelk

Mark Skarr Wrote:Well, I'd figure that they'd want big doors both inside and out. That would make getting the vehicles in and out easier . . ..
Mmm.  Good point.
-- Bob
---------

Reality takes a long time or a bunch of "idle" computers and a constant attention to your network infrastructure. Okay, that's only partially true. If I wasn't always doing images at 1080x1920 I could probably knock them out significantly faster . . ..

Here is my latest attempt.
The circled area in this version is actually this 5'11" girl in 6" heels, Anastasia.

She's in there for a sense of scale.

And right as I post . . . Bob replies to my other post . . .. Okay, I'll go back and put an opening on both ends.
ETA: The first above link has been updated to show the corrected shed.  You can almost see the doors on the outside of the garage/sphere.

All righty, how does this look? I think I need to work on my ground texture . . . again. I might go back to the "featureless" blob I had before.