Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Infinities: Candle in the Dark] Thread for CitD (Needs Name)

Quote:Samurai Pizza Cats: somebody who makes a living delivering food... but pizza
isn't really Ninjaburger's style, so it would have to be somebody "new."
OZ3
Catbus: the Potterites. Not the Harry Potter fen per se, but
the other modern-magic fen in the faction. OZ3
Nuku-Nuku: the Panzer
Kunst Gruppe, on account of N^2 is a cyborg too. OZ2 (As for it not being
their style, consider how many other Leopard OZs are out there, and consider the
benefits of camoflague as applied to WWII "Q-ships"...)

Check, Check, and Check!
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein

Since we have a thread for it now & I'm in a puckish mood, have a teaser.

(I swear to Xenu we *will* resume posting by the end of the month. Even if it kills you.)

Quote:“Maybe so,” Haruhi said thoughtfully, then sighed. “But that’s for the future. Right now I think I’m going to try and be a housewife for a year.”

Nobody moved for a long moment, then Kyon blinked. “Haruhi Suzumiya, the devil-queen of Fenspace, the woman who gave Noah Scott a concussion when he tried to remove her from his station, wants to be a housewife? Have we fallen into another strange alternate universe?”
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Ha! I'm looking forward to that moment now.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Part of me is wondering just what kind of emergence wave a KF-equipped (probably Rulebreaker-style) Prydwen-type multi-Island vessel arriving in someone's star system would generate...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

M Fnord Wrote:Since we have a thread for it now & I'm in a puckish mood, have a teaser.

(I swear to Xenu we *will* resume posting by the end of the month. Even if it kills you.)

Quote:“Maybe so,” Haruhi said thoughtfully, then sighed. “But that’s for the future. Right now I think I’m going to try and be a housewife for a year.”

Nobody moved for a long moment, then Kyon blinked. “Haruhi Suzumiya, the devil-queen of Fenspace, the woman who gave Noah Scott a concussion when he tried to remove her from his station, wants to be a housewife? Have we fallen into another strange alternate universe?”
Ah... so that's why Noah built Kagome (AIs can't get concussions, after all), and posted the "Tresspassers will be vented to open space" sign...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

An AI can't get concussed if her chassis is properly built. Jarring impacts can damage computer hardware just as easily as meat brains if measures aren't taken to prevent that damage.

Kagome's a combat model (even if she is staff, not line)...
--
Rob Kelk

Getting closer... closer...

Quote:Twenty days into the new job, and Cynthia Luckwold didn’t feel like killing anyone. So far, so good. The NERV Foundation had offered XCOM free office space within their geofront, an offer which Cynthia had accepted gratefully since the alternative was staging a multi-national military organization out of her kitchen in Hogsmeade. Of course, this came at a price; Cynthia had yet to spend a day without Alex Xanatos or one of his minions poking about trying to ‘improve the overall efficiency of our working relationship’ or some other equally dubious piece of management speak. She’d agreed to let NERV send a contingent along when the time came to set out into the Inner Sphere to track down Vorax and chastise him - if they could get their new toy fixed in time - and when they persisted, stationed guards armed with fire hoses in front of her office. Let them try and bullshit their way through that, she reasoned.

Cynthia and Alex, meet Noah and Haruhi...
--
Rob Kelk

Still kicking, mostly. First, have a couple teasers:

Quote:Jade shook her head. “Look, cap’n, seriously. You want to know why we’re doing this? Well, we’ve all got our reasons and some of them more sense than others.” She leaned in and gave Hannah a conspiratorial smile. “But I’m here right now because you, me, your boys, my boys and this rickety old bucket of bolts… we’re gonna make history. Five hundred years from now nerds and engineers will remember today as the day everything changed.”

Quote:“The true test of moral character is how you deal with adversity. When you start saying things like ‘the ends justify the means,’ ‘necessary evil,’ and ‘hard men must do hard things,’ your character will take you to some very dark places.” ~ Victoria Steiner (3070)

Second, I'm putting out a call for writers. I need no more than 1500 words on a fairly specific topic, and I need them kind of sharpish. If any Fenspacer wants to take a swing at it, email me, PM me or pester me on IRC and I'll give you the details you need for the job.

*bites lip*
The last of my finals is on the 8th (U.S. Constitutional History at 8am... ugh), and I'm free after that. I thought I could get a class in during the summer semester, but none of the courses offered count toward my licensure, so it would be a waste of the over a thousand dollars per course. Still looking for work otherwise, but...
Would after the 8th be to late to offer myself to help, Mal?
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein

It's later than I would *like* - I'm still hoping against hope that the stars will align and we can get the next bit into final pre-posting by the 30th - but if we slip... I'll let you know.

Also, if your schedule frees up enough, the offer of coming on board full-time is still open.

Oh hey, just thought you guys might wanna know the newest part of Candle just uploaded to Spacebattles. Big Grin

Cool!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Hmm... so according to that IP3 book, ComStar doesn't rediscover the SL facility on Columbus for another two years in 3023?
*cha ching!*... or not.

(Oh god comic-con is so big my poor gimpy self can't cope why do I do these things to myself?)

Columbus is... one of those things we're going to leave alone. It was a huge landmine of stupid back in the original round robin, and to be fair I don't think the Fen really need that much more of an extra edge.

*blue eyes turned green from knowing Mal is at ComicCon*
Meh, just a though.

Oh wow....

Are you going to take the chance to meet Adam Shadowchild?

"Three breasts? Sweet!"

Don't blow your envy gasket, it's just Denver not San Diego. Still, it's a huge goddamn con.

*mutter*

Lucky bugger

*mutter*

i'm stuck with small local cons for some time to come, blasted lousy employment in the area

In a mood, so have a teaser for about two parts down from the next bit to be released.

Apotheosis of the Mall Ninja Wrote:The well of science-fiction fandom from which the Fen sprung is often characterized as welcoming, tolerant and peaceful in most endeavours. This is the image the Fen have carefully cultivated for themselves, and maybe two-thirds to four-fifths of the time it’s a statement of truth. But fandoms have their darker aspects, ones that the average Fen would prefer remain hidden or be wished away.

I'd be tempted to cite that quote to Jon Helscher, the historian-in-residence in Fenspace since before the Boskone War...
--
Rob Kelk

Considering this is a mecha universe... don't tell me we have Gihrenists out there?!
"SSSSSIIIEEEEGGG ZZZEEEEOOONNN!"

DeputyJones Wrote:Considering this is a mecha universe... don't tell me we have Gihrenists out there?!

Nah. Well, okay probably yeah but they're at most a symptom of a much deeper and older underlying problem.

All will be made clear at the appropriate time.