Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Infinities: Candle in the Dark] Thread for CitD (Needs Name)

Gihren corrupted the vision of Zeon Zum Daikun.

The true vision of Zeon is Freedom from the greedy oppression of Earth and Self Determination for all the peoples of space. The Zabi family hijacked the vision of Zeon for their own despotic ends. There are those of us who still believe in freedom, in justice, in shiny, stylish uniforms. We stand by the creed of Zeon and move forward into an undertain future, never surrendering to the greed of the elite.

Hey, just thought you guys might like to know the latest part of CitD - the largest one yet, clocking in at just over 11,000 words - has gone live on SpaceBattles and CBT.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

And for that, we thank you.

And slightly less than 3000 words of that are in part mine. Longest non-technical writing -I- have written to date. Much thanks to Wolfboy for his scenes, and for all those who waited patiently for me to finish.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

WRT Leopard OZs and their owners, I guarantee that the Ravage, Tigatron, and Cheetor at a minimum would be Gearheads affiliated.

As for my main crew... well, the 'Curl is nigh invincible but unarmed and really damn slow, assuming they got tapped for hospital ship duty again as in OGJ, where would they have been assigned? Being able to flat out ignore anything less than a tacnuke is handy, but short of landing on a grounded dropship to crush it with a 5.5 million ton hammer there's not much it could do dir
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

ectly. As for Wave Convoy, it's probably better to leave him out of it, as I rather disagree on the effectiveness of BT weapons and armor as presented. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the story, but there isn't really a place for a 10m, ~15tn transforming truck that goes through lances of heavy assault mechs like curry through a short grandmother.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

With names like those, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone went to the effort and expense of making them transforming mecha with a Leopard-class vehicle mode.

The trouble with that idea is that you end up with something like the König Monster - it looks like a shuttle, but actually it's all robot parts. The 'wave doesn't do dimensional hijinx remember, there's no stuffing a big cargo bay in subspace because you're already keeping your limbs in that volume. Since there's at least one König flying around already, it would be better to just build more than put effort into a new design. And again, disagreement on BT threat when a GAU/8 couldn't scratch wavepaint.
--

Ah! I forgot, by 2022 the Gnarlycurl has 'flipped,' with four big docking spars from the 'bases' of the original ramps and Castle Borealis built on what used to be considered the bottom. It can't land any more, but has four or so times the internal volume and a couple fighter wings stationed there. Borealis can't quite shrug off nuclear artillery shells, but should be at least up to "magic dropship armor" level durability, and does have some weapons mounted as well.

So all in all... not suited to story Sad
--

Argh... to clarify, feel free to namedrop or use WC or either version of the 'Curl in the background as in any other Fenspace story, I've just decided my conception of relative capabilities between the two settings is too incompatible to contribute in a major way. I will even reiterate, permission is specifically granted to use him as an 'expendable BNF' if a suitably important plot point requires one. I'll leave it in Mal's capable hands as Fun Tyrant to make that call based on story needs. Preferably, do
--

it in such a way that SWtA Omega material can be adapted as an epilogue sequence to provide subfaction continuity, but this is not a requirement.
--

Next chapter of Candle in the Dark is available for reading on SB and CBT. That is all.

If anyone (including you, Mal) is wondering about what the refit Leopard-class dropship NFV Leopard has as a mecha complement, it should have one MHI-MS01 Tallgeese and three MHI-MS02 Leos. Like the canon Tallgeese, the first has a MHI-ME23 "Dober Gun" mecha heavy gauss rifle and its main asset is its speed, but unlike the original Tallgeese it lacks beam sabers and possesses a Gundam-type head ala the Tallgeese II with vulcan guns, The Leos are equipped with flight packs (ejectable once several critical components inevitably burn out) and GenOne MHI-ME27 mecha plasma rifles.[Image: oz06r.png][Image: oz-00ms.jpg]
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein

The latest chapter of Candle in the Dark is available for reading on SB and CBT for the curious. Parental guidance is suggested.

...I really hope Ed was consulted and approved with a wink and a laugh.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Nice entry. Short, but poignant.
"Patriots," huh...
...The Metal Gear Fen are gonna be pissed.
And David Kobayashi? *chuckles* Does anybody else find it foreshadowing that one of this cabal's starters'/leaders' names is identical to the Starfleet Academy no-win scenario?
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein

*sigh* No, Ed wasn't consulted. He may not approve. Honestly I kind of hope he doesn't, because I'm making a point here.

Ed's posts in the Candle thread, as well as other posts in the old BT roundrobin subforum, are part of the composite character "Anthony Edwards." Most of the final version of the character comes from the Shrine of the Mall Ninja, as well as research done on modern American fascism. The entirety of Edwards's rant is paraphrased or directly verbatim from actual fascist rhetoric found by me in the usual places you find this sort of thing, for example.

Anthony Edwards and the people who follow him represent two things. First, they represent the "exterminate the brutes!" attitude a number of the old roundrobin posters expressed when that thing was still theoretically a going concern. Second, they represent fandom's eternal struggle with - and occasional capitulation to - the authoritarian mindset that drives things like fascism. It's not super-deep material or anything, but it's something Candle allows us to explore a little more than we might be able to in canon Fenspace.

Edit:
Quote:Does anybody else find it foreshadowing that one of this cabal's starters'/leaders' names is identical to the Starfleet Academy no-win scenario?
Actually it's a The Usual Suspects reference. Remember Keyser Soze's agent, the guy who recruits the Suspects for the boat job?

For those paying attention, the latest update of Candle in the Dark is now available on SpaceBattles. CBT will be coming sometime this evening.

Speaking of post-pirate-invasion mecha units...

BA, pay attention, this is to you! Smile

Stonewell-Bellcom has, at this point, just debuted the VF-4 Lightning... and immediately recalled it for a complete reworking and upgrading of the Energy-Conversion Armor system in light of the demonstrated performance of BT weaponry.

BlackAeronautTechnologies will be licensed to produce an ECA-equipped Valkyrie, the VF-1 Mk III, in all models.

The latest segment mentions heavy investment in "LAM" models for BAT... did you want to go ahead with the VF-14 Vampire at this point? Or did you have another model in mind?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

And once again for those who don't already have it bookmarked, the latest installment of Candle in the Dark is available on SpaceBattles and CBT. Some questions are answered, others are asked.

xoxo,
The Fun Tyrant

What news?
Hey Mal, CitD seems to have gone totally silent when its thread on SB got locked. Do you not have the mental bandwidth to support it right now, or is it completely dead, or what? If it's dead, could you dump the in-progress stuff you have somewhere for us read-only users to see?

Thread may have been locked to try to curb the lag issues SB has.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

It's more or less come to a stand still, most of us have been having writers block related to it.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Quote:Foxboy
wrote:

Thread may have been locked to try to
curb the lag issues SB has.
Well yeah, there
was a general announcement stating that all threads that reached 2500
posts would be auto-locked until further notice. I was just wondering
what was going on, since there wasn't a new thread, nor any announcements
here about updates at CBT.
Quote:Dakota wrote:
It's more or less come to a stand still, most of us have been having writers block related to it.
Alright, thanks. As long as there's a vague hope for updates in the future, I won't worry or pester much.

Writer's block, ennui, shiny objects and real life have intervened in the process, and so we've been treading water for the last little while. There's also the matter of building up a work buffer so once production restarts it'll still be a while before the new thread shows up.

That said, I have every intention of completing the Antallos arc (for show-em-all purposes) and the Twoflower arc before giving in. So keep an eye out for Candle in the Dark: The Voyage of the Twoflower and Other Stories arriving when it's ready.

Coming Soonish Wrote:"A Liao should know better! A Liao does know better! There is no curse in all the tongues of gods or men for this, this treachery!"