Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are BeamSabers possible in the Fenspace tech?

There might be something on GN drives (or at least GN theory) in the Catalog - thing's a couple exabytes in size and not the best-indexed archive in existence - but in practice a solid-state handwavium generator provides roughly the same power curve with less futzing about with Jupiter and significantly lower chances of irritating the Many-Angled Ones.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

I'm sorry Many-Angled ones???  And  I asked not because of power generation but due to the GN particles can be stored & use in both as shield system or as particle beam weapons or to increase an mobile suits abilites for a limited time due to GN particle storage.  Not mention a GN equipped unit being able to take barrages of artillery fire, yet being made out of the same material as normal none GN equipped  units.

kashim27 Wrote:I'm sorry Many-Angled ones???  And  I asked not because of power generation but due to the GN particles can be stored & use in both as shield system or as particle beam weapons or to increase an mobile suits abilites for a limited time due to GN particle storage.  Not mention a GN equipped unit being able to take barrages of artillery fire, yet being made out of the same material as normal none GN equipped  units.
I would guess that a real hardtech version of GN particles would not be that great as in the anime... because when you leave out handwavium, you are loosing lots of the "act of plot" thing in Fenspace.

The would be useful for sure, but not the "everyone has to go for GN particle powered/armed large mechas to have a chance to win".

kashim27 Wrote:I'm sorry Many-Angled ones???

Yeah, the Many-Angled Ones. GN drives supposedly use some sort of weird space-time geometry to generate energy, and I've read enough Lovecraft to know that that never ends well for anybody.

But never mind that, let's talk tech turkey. Once again, Word of Mod:

GN theory, along with Minovsky theory, Kearny-Fuchida theory and no doubt dozens of other alternative physics models are found somewhere in the Whole Fenspace Catalog. The major problem is twofold:

a) finding them is difficult because the expurgated WFC is roughly 75-150% larger than the base content of the 2013 Internet, and isn't as well indexed. Hunting for specific data in the WFC is a full-time job for search engines and professional archivists.

b) when I say 'theory' that's what I mean. The people who assembled the WFC very carefully left out full plans for GN particle generators, KF drives, Minovsky field generators etc. Going from theory to practice will take either time or a specific strain of madness that is very rare, even among PCs.

(There is also the possibility that these theories are incompatible with Fenspace's underlying physics, but that's something I'm willing to wave off for ecological diversity.)

@Mal: do you think a well-waved "Beamsaber" could be used for defense (parrying incoming fire), as long as its not lasers?

DRAG0NFLIGHT Wrote:Aaanndd that draws attention to the other white elephant in the room.
Ian, we can discuss this at the Sunday game if you want, if you're there early enough to not derail the session with a side-discussion.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

M Fnord Wrote:There might be something on GN drives (or at least GN theory) in the Catalog - thing's a couple exabytes in size and not the best-indexed archive in existence -
"Indexed"? There's an index to this thing?

Of all the people involved in compiling the original Catalog, only Lisa strikes me as the type to index things, and she's busy with more important things at the time. (Skuld, Kaolla, and Rin-Rin definitely aren't the type - they're "eccentric engineers" if not full-out Mads, and none of them are shown to keep notes on their work. And the others don't appear to know enough information theory to know why they'd need an index.)
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge Wrote:@Mal: do you think a well-waved "Beamsaber" could be used for defense (parrying incoming fire), as long as its not lasers?

What, like with Jedi and blasters? Sure, I don't see anything technically wrong with it, basic extrapolation of existing waved forcefield tech. Wouldn't want to be the guy that tests it though, as I'm pretty sure one of the prerequisites is "be a Jedi."

M Fnord Wrote:What, like with Jedi and blasters? Sure, I don't see anything technically wrong with it, basic extrapolation of existing waved forcefield tech. Wouldn't want to be the guy that tests it though, as I'm pretty sure one of the prerequisites is "be a Jedi."
Fen 1: "HA, now I have the blaster deflecting lightsaber. I will be invincible."

Fen 2: "Okay, lets have a few low powered training shots."

Fen 1: "Ouch... OUCH! Damn, do these blasters also come with less speed?"

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Of all the people involved in compiling the original Catalog, only Lisa strikes me as the type to index things, and she's busy with more important things at the time. (Skuld, Kaolla, and Rin-Rin definitely aren't the type - they're "eccentric engineers" if not full-out Mads, and none of them are shown to keep notes on their work. And the others don't appear to know enough information theory to know why they'd need an index.)
   And Sana-chan just takes five or ten minutes to read the whole thing from end to end whenever she wants to find something specific...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

ls -a ./WFC_torrent_by_DaitarnIV | grep - i minovsky > minovskylist.txt

Then go have a cup of tea , get some sleep and hope you've got a big enough disk drive. (Or that I remembered that right. Haven't really used a Linux system in nearly a year)

You're assuming GENos (GENOM Operating System) will let you do that...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Dartz wrote:
ls -a ./WFC_torrent_by_DaitarnIV | grep - i minovsky > minovskylist.txt

Then go have a cup of tea , get some sleep and hope you've got a big enough disk drive. (Or that I remembered that right. Haven't really used a Linux system in nearly a year)
Is that real or a joke or something?

It's a valid UNIX command line. It's probably also a valid Linux command line.

What it does is list all files in the directory named "./WFC_torrent_by_DaitarnIV" including files that start with ".", filter the list to include only files with the word "minovsky" in the name (case-insensitive), and write that list to a file called "minovskylist.txt"

Edit: Although dartz goofed - I suspect he meant to type this:
ls -R -a ./WFC_torrent_by_DaitarnIV | grep - i minovsky > minovskylist.txt

That gets the subdirectories as well. (http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/]Reputable online manuals are your friends...)
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah.... I didn't check the manpage. I was just going for 'reasonably legible'. I also forgot Sudo.

And I just had an evil thought...

GenDOS

M Fnord Wrote:
kashim27 Wrote:I'm sorry Many-Angled ones???
Yeah, the Many-Angled Ones. GN drives supposedly use some sort of weird space-time geometry to generate energy, and I've read enough Lovecraft to know that that never ends well for anybody.
Yes, but handwavium's involved. We'd only get Puppies of Tindalos.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Yes, but handwavium's involved. We'd only get Puppies of Tindalos.
Or a spawn of Cthulu called the Great Kachoo. (See Anime Addventure)

Good, Good. I love the concept of Fenspace merely want to know what limits/word of mod was on certain things. Speaking of such what about Bits, Funnels, Dragoon system, and Fangs or Incom remote weapon system for mobile suits?

Depends on what drive's 'em

Gun-armed Drones are possible method, controlled by the Suit's own computers to engage a target according to a series of set patterns selected by the pilot for the mission at hand. Pick your attack pattern and let them fly. AI, or just basic computer control.

In the absence of Newtypes anyway....

What about a handwaiumed Man-Machine Interface Helmet connected to the bit control computer? 

What does it do?

If it's a glorified Heads-Up Display, then there's no problem - plenty of folks have HUDs.

If it's a direct neural interface... well, Wave Convoy learned the dangers of that the hard way.

If it's something in between, it depends on exactly where "in between" it falls.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
What does it do?

If it's a glorified Heads-Up Display, then there's no problem - plenty of folks have HUDs.

If it's a direct neural interface... well, Wave Convoy learned the dangers of that the hard way.

If it's something in between, it depends on exactly where "in between" it falls.
Mostly I'm thinking you put it on, hook it up to the bit control computer & it allows you to mentally control the bits just like in gundam.

Depends on what you really want to go for.... and who you get to do it.

Really highly waved systems might be quirky, leading to another Wave Convoy, or the potential for an accidental Full Frontal. Especially given the funky things psychoframe is capable of doing.

Quote:Dartz wrote:
Depends on what you really want to go for.... and who you get to do it.

Really highly waved systems might be quirky, leading to another Wave Convoy, or the potential for an accidental Full Frontal. Especially given the funky things psychoframe is capable of doing.
 Hey, I would count that as a plus if I'm facing alot of Black hats.

kashim27 Wrote:Hey, I would count that as a plus if I'm facing alot of Black hats.
Yes, it might be a short-term plus... but in the long rung being stuck in a vehicle limits you quite a bit.