Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuri's Night Celebrations
Yuri's Night Celebrations
I'm sure this topic has come up before, but how do various factions celebrate Yuri's Night? I'm sure the Space History Reenactment Group stages a Vostok launch every year, possibly with the assistance of the Russian Federal Space Agency (we don't have a lot of material on Russian attitudes towards the Fen, so it's possible). The Man Conquers Space fen might do something similar: tooling around the solar system in your 'wave-free spacecraft is nice and all, but the real test is launching from Earth.How do other factions celebrate Gagarin's Flight? The traditional fireworks are a Bad Idea in traditional warren-like space stations, and could be uncomfortable even in exceedingly large domes like Grovers' Corners.

The VVS and NASA got together to celebrate Yuri's Night once, but that ended up with the creation of the Artemis Foundation.

The Board of Directors of StellviaCorp notes the date with a toast at a formal dinner at the company's annual meeting. I can't speak for the others...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

In Korolevgrad and other Soviet colonies, Yuri's Night is the equivalent of Mardi Gras. I'll leave the details up to your imagination. %D
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Proginoskes Wrote:The traditional fireworks are a Bad Idea in traditional warren-like space stations, and could be uncomfortable even in exceedingly large domes like Grovers' Corners.
Oh! Fireworks! Of course there are fireworks! But not the explosive sort.

This is something straight out of Uchuu no Stellvia: the start of the annual Astroball competitions are accompanied by a fireworks display. In Fenspace, that display is projected onto the transparent roof of the arena's bleachers, with the expected sound effects piped in. There's no reason why the same system couldn't be used on Yuri's Night in Kandor, Pallas, any other domed settlement, or any station with sufficiently-large windows.

M Fnord Wrote:In Korolevgrad and other Soviet colonies, Yuri's Night is the equivalent of Mardi Gras. I'll leave the details up to your imagination. %D
Noah just shakes his head and sighs at the thought of his eldest daughter flashing her motherboard for beads...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Over at 36 Atalante they like to treat it like Thanksgiving, with one hell of a feast and (later on) a children's pageant to commemorate the occasion. Children on 36 atalante will also decorate their homes and classrooms with home made ornaments depicting Sputnik, Vostok, Apollo, the Space Shuttles, and even various probes like Luna, Vanera, Mars, Mariner, Viking, Voyager, etc. It's a lot quieter than the Soviet's take, but also a lot more festive than the Stelvian's.

However, every other year or so, Ben, Gina, Mayonaka, and a trio of Jess will all slip out and go incognito to meet up with Mal and Sora. Meanwhile, Jess has perfectly disguised some of herselfs to look like the three. Mal, I would imagine, was very bemused to see that Ben had it in him to be so sneaky the first time it happened.

Actually, I just realized that a fairly trivial application of Handwavium's ability to make things work as one expects, even in defiance of physics, is to make fireworks function in a vacuum as if they were in Earth's atmosphere: domed settlements just need to be sure to set them off outside, over the dome instead of within it. (Domes that hold back a hostile atmosphere instead of the lack of an atmosphere would be stuck with the projection method, which many people (myself included) complain can hardly be called fireworks when there isn't any fire. On the gripping hand, projections can do a lot of things real fireworks can't, so those places' Yuri's Night displays will likely evolve towards much greater complexity and variation.)

Fireworks work in space. They contain their own oxidiser. The downside is - no bang.

Having them inside, is a fire hazard.

And an uncontrolled fire inside an enclosed dome.... well, it's not going to go well for the people inside.

But without air resistance to slow the glowing fragments down, they'll just fly off in all directions instead of hanging together prettily. Waving the fireworks puts Space Drag into effect, keeping the display around to ooh and aah over, instead of being blink-and-you'll-miss-it.

Yuri's Night in the Jovian colonies (predominately Browncoats) tend to be somewhat like Memorial Day and Labor Day in the United States: most people have the day off unless they're in survival-critical fields, and it's basically a day to get together with friends and families for a "picnic", for a given value of picnic, although some of the foodstuffs consumed will veer into the distinctly Russian depending on tastes. Some of the settlements will have something of a larger community celebration, with the atmosphere of a county fair, complete with games, a dance pavilion, and otherwise having a reasonably fun time.

Jupiter Mining Corporation tends to schedule their deliveries in such a way that Yuri's Night is effectively a day of "downtime" for the company, with a number of their Blue Midgets tending to come in for preventive maintenance the week before and the week after. Any that are out "in the field" will put to the closest port for the day. Most of the ships have their own little individual ways of celebrating the holiday.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Most Rockhounds miners have a lot in common with the Browncoats.

For them, though, it's somewhat closer to St Patrick's Day in Boston - indeed, some wags have already started calling it "St Yuri's Day".

Especially in major outposts like Greenwood City, where there is typically a parade, a football or astroball game, and a lot of work for the cops.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.