Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ping BA
Ping BA
Saw this 3D model, and thought "Roughriders base"... but it's a bit pricey so I don't want to buy it if you don't agree with me. What do you think?

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/suprastation/55965

[Image: Full55965.jpg]

[Image: product_image_full_73764.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I must admit... I am intrigued!

And if we want to have happy-fun-silly-walk-shenanigans with those rotatable runways, we can always do something like the Albatross Landing from Rescuers Downunder.... Only with a Blackbird instead.

"What in the name of Skuld's mallet is going on out there!? This is the third time this week!"

More seriously, a facility that small would probably be a forward-deployed base - barely more than an outpost. However, these guys would be a rare sight as most Roughrider bases are not usually land-based... unless...

AH! The Roughnecks - Roughriders Construction Battalion. They would need ground-side facilities for large scale projects.

But really, if your going to do that just for my stuff, then at least let me cover part of the cost for you.

If you insist...

Let's see: the model is currently $16.90, but I have a 15%-off coupon that I have to either use today or lose, so that brings the price down to $14.37. You can buy me something on my wishlist that's less than that - that'll effectively kick in on the purchase.

Edit: And I'm now downloading the Suprastation. I won't have time to install it until tomorrow at the earliest, or play with it until next weekend, but at least I've got it now.
--
Rob Kelk

Okay Rob, you should have a couple of surprises waiting for you at Renderosity. Smile

So I see... and an extra surprise that the store says I've downloaded them too many times. I've sent a request to their help email address to get this fixed.

Thank you!

Edit: Issue resolved, dorm room and dress downloaded. Watch this space this weekend...
--
Rob Kelk

I am happy that you are happy. ^_^

Houston, we have a problem...

blackaeronaut Wrote:More seriously, a facility that small would probably be a forward-deployed base - barely more than an outpost.

You estimated the base size better than I did - it's too small for a Blackbird.

[Image: big-bird-01.png]

[Image: big-bird-02.png]

Any farther forward and she'll lose a wing, damage the base, or both.

What else do the Roughnecks fly?

Edit: Maybe they can play host to a peace conference:

[Image: base-01.png]

(Tile a grass image enough times and it looks like a cheap carpet... I'll have to change that for any serious renders with this building.)
--
Rob Kelk

Boy, do I hate being right sometimes. Actually, that is even worse than I imagined... the Blackbird in that picture is one-third larger than I was imagining when I mentioned the Albatross landing sequence.
*Sees image of ST shuttle on one side and X-Wing fighter on the other.* Guh-snrk!

Anyhow.... later Blackbird models will have VTOL capabilities, so it's not like it'd have to use it like a runway... just as a landing pad. (Though given the size, I wouldn't be surprised if Blackbird jockies took to calling them 'lily pads'.) Eventually, the design will be abandoned altogether in favor of far more versatile Veritech spaceframes.

Anything larger... Well, they'll just have to land out in the 'Parking Lot'. Which will be most of everything, since most of what the Roughnecks would fly is VERY LARGE. Things like the Sky Hook-class mobile cranes and the Outlaw-class grappler ships.

One way of thinking about it is that these will be the equivalent to those portable offices you see on job-sites.

On a slightly different note, I thought you might like to see your gifts in use.

The image is linked rather than embedded because it's slightly NSFW (no nudity, but outfits from BATLabs do tend toward the "adult"). Spot her fandoms from the knick-knacks I added to the set...

Again, thanks!
--
Rob Kelk

My, but the location of some of those zippers! Yow!

The spikey looking hand on the shelf reminds me of something... but I can't recall what... Somehow I'm leaning towards Giant Robo or Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis...

blackaeronaut Wrote:My, but the location of some of those zippers! Yow!
Good thing she's in a bedroom, right?
blackaeronaut Wrote:The spikey looking hand on the shelf reminds me of something... but I can't recall what... Somehow I'm leaning towards Giant Robo or Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis...
Not Japanese...

Hint under spoiler lock:
--
Rob Kelk

Just jumping in to say that I doubt Blackbirds would be abandoned entirely; they'd just be relegated to the original function of the SR-71: reconnaissance. There are more capable birds for just about any combat role, but if the goal is to get in, get the goods, and get out before the target can react (possibly before they can notice), there is still no better plane than a Blackbird.

True that. In that case, they'll probably wind up more like the originals: flying fuel tanks with cameras and a cockpit attached.

....... NAAAAHHHH. Wink

Unless some stupidly potent fusion reactor comes along, I can see them using Cool Cuke reactors for a long time to come.

You know, my skills may be fairly limited, but I can still do some simple 2-D layouts of what's in the guts of these things. Rather than just doing write-ups of the different classifications, I like having these as it adds a lot more depth into the things I contribute. Smile