Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Danelaw Divergence?
'Danelaw Divergence?
You know what would be useful? A list of differences between the Mundane Governments of Fenspace and the political climate of OTL. Doesn't have to be too detailed, just what's been established somewhere. I know, for instance, that somebody other than Barack Obama won the US 2008 Presidential Election, but I can't remember who, and having a central listing of that kind of thing would be convenient.

Excellent idea, Proginoskes. This would make an excellent page for the Fenwiki, or maybe an entire section. I seem to recall we have some kind of capsule descriptions of Danelaw powers, but nothing very detailed.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

We have a bunch of pages about Fen-Dane Relations and the like, which are useful, but it's all policy, not politicians. We need names and faces to empathise with or revile. There are only three entries in the "People" section of the Mundania navbox: two are USAF officers associated with TSAB, and the third is Gen. Mal Fnord's younger sister, who happens to be the junior member of Colorado's delegation to Congress in 2012 (Hey Mal! Does she keep her seat?). I don't propose we create a separate page for every politician ever mentioned, but a central listing of details like "The winner of the 2008 US Presidential election was Big McLargehuge" would reduce the work of keeping Fenspace consistent.

"In other News, President Blast Hardcheese was quoted..."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Well, we know that Guiliani was president in early 2012. Was he re-elected? If not, who took office after him? I seem to remember someone stating or suggesting Obama was elected to his first term in 2012, but I can't recall where.

Who are the big-shot congressmen in "Mr. Fnord Goes To Washington"? They probably should have entries.

Who are the Fen allies in the Australian government? Have we ever decided on any?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Wargle.

Okay. We've discussed this off and on in a couple different threads, so it'll take time for me to scrape together everything and do a proper Post on the subject, but here's some quick notes on US politics re: Fenspace.

* Rudy Giuliani wins the '08 election by milking wave-panic for all it's worth (gobble gobble terrorists terrorists 9/11 9/11 gobble gobble).

* Turns out that Giuliani made GWB look like FDR, and promptly gets the boot in '12. We never decided exactly who replaced him but I sketched in a scene in the Unfinished Bane of My Existence that uses Obama as the default.

** Personally I could roll with Diamond Joe Biden as the first wave-friendly president, but I'm willing to explore options.

* The main not-actually-real congresspeople in the UBoME are Mary Wildman (D-CO6) and Al Kellerman (R-KS).

** Kellerman's sort of a Bob Dole expy: he's been the Senator from Kansas since dinosaurs ruled the earth, and basically intends to die in the saddle.
** Wildman, as noted, is Mal's little sister. And yes, she wins reelection in '14.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

As for putting this stuff on the Wiki, might I suggest something akin to the Timeline page (if not that page itself)?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

We also have an early Anti-Wave senator for New Hampshire who orchestrated Vulpine Fury's "rampage."

IIRC he got re-elected at least once.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll