Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical question of the day
Philosophical question of the day
Can you be a Furry if you don't have fur?

(The question is philosophical, but not hypothetical; http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... mus_Riddle]Nikodemus Riddle is one of the First Fen, and Griever created him before I created Noah Scott...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Maybe we need a different label?

No, "furry" is a relatively-old and easily-recognizable term.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

IIRC, "Furry" also encompasses those who feel they have an "internally-expressed" animal nature, for lack of a better term. So, I'd say yes.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

i have to agree with Bob,

There are always people who insist that "Furry" doesn't apply to them, but almost everyone lumps Scalies and Feathered Folk in with Furries (including most of those being lumped).

A related term OTL, which includes all people who identify as animals or fantastic humanoids (elves, dwarves, angels, et cetera), is "Otherkin". "Furries" isn't a subset of "Otherkin", though. "Furry" has shades: the broadest category is Furry Fandom, which is just "people who like animal-based characters in stories and art". The demonym "Furries" narrows it to "People who act like they are animal-based characters in some manner", which includes fursuiters, roleplayers with furry characters, and animal-based Otherkin. A person can be in Furry Fandom without being a Furry, and a Furry is not necessarily an Otherkin. To qualify as Otherkin, one must have a deep conviction that one is fundamentally nonhuman on some spiritual level.

Handwavium, as usual, complicates matters, although possibly not quite as much as I originally thought. Most people with "Furry" biomods are inverse Otherkin: they are fundamentally human, despite appearances to the contrary. "Normal" Otherkin probably account for the majority of self-inflicted, deliberate, non-emergency biomods, and certainly enjoy the best rate of satisfaction with their biomods.