Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC]GTV Faction Profile

Oops, looks like I did. Okay, I'll just change it to tonnes, it'll still make a big enough boom to do the job, especially with it going to be ramming the Solaris at full speed.

There is a reason why they build NORAD into a mountain... its a cheap way to become protected even against low Megaton TNT level of explosions.

You can't build a fortress inside an actively erupting volcano, even with Handwavium.

Gideon020 Wrote:You can't build a fortress inside an actively erupting volcano, even with Handwavium.
Wait, what? :-)

okay, I somehow missed the volcano part.

I'm more concerned about why you talked about NORAD and mountains when I stated that the only place that could safely allow for any sort of colonisation with access to liquid water on Shiva are the fissures.

Unless you were talking about the Mass Driver, which would be aimed at cities, and unless some kind of story contribution is made when the time comes that allows the Solaris to escape, its a moot point.

-Triax Shipping and Handling Division, Triax Headquarters, Main Belt-

"These are the special delivery to the Albatross?"

Mikhail Straussman looked up from his datapad to see Silus Markin, CEO of Triax, approaching him and nodded, "Yes sir! All four SS-27 bodies are modified and ready for mating to the Earth Shakers the MD's have waiting for them." He looked around at the workers loading the transport containers for delivery to the Albatross project, "Can't believe its happening, I mean I knew about the plan when you briefed the department heads at the start of the year, but I didn't think it would actually happen. Like World War 3, you talk about it, but it never happens."

Markin nodded, "I know. But MD-Zero's negotiations failed, and we've been called to deliver the SS-27's to the Albatross's construction site on Titan."

Straussman shook his head, "Can't believe the clients actually agreed to the plan, but when you have a splinter group that have sunk back into their pirate roots acting as a dark reflection of their favourite mercenaries who don't blab about company secrets, it tends to get them looser with the purse strings."

The pair watched as the loading was completed, "They won't set anything off will they?" Straussman asked.

Markin shrugged, "Not until they reach the Sedna. Besides, the transport and cargo are unmarked, the files are already being wiped, we're going to come up clean no matter who comes knocking. We may have been named in their briefing files but its not like we don't make mistakes in the records right?"

"I wouldn't know sir."

"Exactly. Besides, who's going to raise a fuss about some rocket motors anyway?"

-Titan Carbonwerk, Special Engineering Division, Titan-

"FTL is completed and mounted, basic defences are locked into place, the main explosives are locked in place and wired into the detonator system, the Grand Slams and FAE's are loaded into the launchers, which are being mounted now. We just need to mate the Earth Shaker warheads to the missile bodies when they arrived. All in all, we're on schedule to hit Sedna by next week."

"Good. Strelnikov may be expecting an attack but he only knows about our former launch timetable and will maintain low to moderate readiness levels. Is the fleet operational?"

"We've completed the additional sixteen ships for a total of twenty-two, more than enough to carry our forces and provide sufficient protection to the Albatross when we strike Shiva. The Sedna strike should go smoothly as well, last report from the Black Talons on-site indicated that the place is practically lazy central. They're only focusing on keeping the next load of prisoners intact for shipping to Shiva."

MD-0000 nodded as she turned away from the ship in front of her, "Keep me updated, I want to launch as soon as the Earth Shakers are ready."

"Aye, aye, Ma'am."

To be continued...

HRogge Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:TNT has a density of 1.654 grams per cubic centimetre. Thus, one megaton of TNT takes up 60.459 cubic metres.

To compare, a TEU - the space contained by a standard 8'-tall shipping container - is 36.317 cubic metres.

So, even scaled down, that "doomsday device" takes two shipping containers to carry ... without much room left over for the detonator. (Assuming you're using TNT, of course. Other explosives have different densities.)
I think you still misplace the decimal point...

1 cm^3 = 1.6 grams
1 dm^3 = 1.6 kg
1 m^3 = 1.6 tons

1000000 tons / (1.6 tons / 1 m^3) = 625000 m^3

or ~17000 shipping containers.

So I did... That just makes it worse, of course.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Gideon020 Wrote:I'm more concerned about why you talked about NORAD and mountains when I stated that the only place that could safely allow for any sort of colonisation with access to liquid water on Shiva are the fissures.
I wrote the second reply a little bit quick (and early in the morning), it doesn't really apply to your situation.

At the moment I wrote the NORAD comment I thought about a typical Fen asteroid settlement (the ones IN the asteroids, not ON them).

Here's some context on explosive force - a movie of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorn_Ridge_Redoubt mine going off. This was a 20-ton explosive.

Does your explosive really need to be this big?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Here's some context on explosive force - a movie of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorn_Ridge_Redoubt mine going off. This was a 20-ton explosive.

Does your explosive really need to be this big?
I'm a Spacebattler before a Fenspacer, I do my explosions big.

James looked over the data that had just come through the intel section. "Are we sure this is accurate?" he asked his eyes goggling at the numbers and damage stats from the GTV sections.

"No sir, but the MD's are." Lovitar said sitting on the opposite side of his desk from him in the Werewolf's ward room. "What i worry about is if their numbers are actually higher than what's stated, how many can get out of the traps and form the core of a new Boskone group. At this James only grunted.

"I'm going to contact the higher ups and see whats what about this. We could take Target Sedna with just what we have here on the Werewolf now, our fighters have better armor hit harder and are almost as agile if just a little slower. What I'm worried about is Target Shiva." With that James pulled up the desk computer's holographic funtion and started typing.

To: [REDACTED]
CC:[REDACTED]
Subj: targets

Ladies and gentlemen;

Current enemy data analysis and a frank appraisal of what F-SOG has available for current operations requires me to advise you that while we can take target one completely by ourselves further reinforcements would be required before taking target two. Suggestions would be to contact either the CGI or Spectre for use of a Norway class vessel to infiltrate an advance strike team into target two for prisoner removal and sabotage operations. This action and the team’s extraction to be followed by Convention or MD orbital strike. My current OSP count is as limited at ten please advise as to permission for expansion for operation.

Shepard looked at the email again, thinking about what to do next. The email lacked details, but the projected level of opposition was bad.

'Prepare and stand by for further communication' he thought and activated the comm-link of the Normandy.

"EDI, activate the QED and give me a direct link to Jenga. I need to speak with Serina."

A moment later the screen lit up and Serinas human avatar appeared. The overlay AI of CI's Exocomps smiled.

"Hi Shepard, nice to see you again."

"Hi Serina... I would like to ask you for a small favor... can you borrow me 8 Space Exocomp hulls for the next few months?"

"Why do you need eight of them, did EDI wrecked a few and you want to have some spares?"

"I cannot tell you, but I really might need them. Maybe you will get them back later without being used... maybe not. Please do not ask."

Serina looked at Shepard for some time and then nodded.

"Okay, you can have them. But try to get some free time when you bring the Normandy back for maintenance next time, some cats were a little bit angry that you had a mission last time."

"I will Serina, I will. Just tell EDI where we should wait for the eight hulls."

Now he just had to wait until someone decided if they would need the Normandy or not.