Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to the Machine
Welcome to the Machine
I think the fact I have time to emit things like this is a clear sign something is wrong at the company.... anyway.

-------
Let me start with the most important part...

You're alive. So long as you're alive, anything is possible.

Now, let me tell you that I know how you're feeling. We all do. We've all had to go through it ourselves. I know how you felt when you first woke up after your accident. There's nothing wrong with it - if anything we'd be worried if you were feeling perfectly fine.

The last thing you remember isn't nice. It might be the glass on the windscreen shattering, the cold rush of vacuum's embrace and the spit on your tongue starting to boil, or it might be an EMT over your body suddenly announcing that the wave injection wasn't taking hold ; either way you wake up. You first wonder if it wasn't a dream, because you feel fine. No aches, no pains. You think you feel a little groggy - a little off.

And that's when it starts to bite.

You feel really off. There's something wrong with you and you just can't put your finger on it. You might feel empty inside, a little hollow. You try to clench your hands and the sensation feels distant. Your toes no longer feel like they're attached.

That's when you open your eyes to perfect clarity. Again, the wrongness piles on. Eventually, you force yourself to look at your hand, and that's when it all slams you in the face. You scream, you beg for help, you might even shout out 'What have I become'. You suddenly become aware of the alien sensations sparking inside your mind, penetrating your deepest self. You try to pull the carbon fibre or metal-frame apart in the desperate hope that it's all just some sort of life-support exoskeleton.

But all that data intruding on your thoughts has to be coming from somewhere. It's alien and it's violating the core of your mind with every single spark of information.

Then your doc' comes in, and confirms the worst.

You're a full conversion cyborg - it was the only way to save your life. You get your full technical spec's - a rundown of everything that had to be done to save your life and why this was done, but you're not really paying attention to it all. All you can think is what the hell sort of life is this supposed to be? Or maybe that you'll wake up from the nightmare soon enough. Or both.

Maybe it wasn't exactly like that - but I'm sure I'm not far wrong. Like I said, we've all been there on some level.

My point is, You Are Not Alone.

That's where I come in. This is what the panzer Kunst Gruppe does. We're here first and foremost to help you come to terms with yourself as you are now, to help you move forward and take control of your life and your body.

I know it still feels like a waking nightmare. You feel alien. You feel inhuman. You wonder if you're not some sort of cybertech zombie, when all that's left of the original you is half a brain in an impact absorbing gel, tied to a chorus of expert systems bridging the gap between you, your body and the universe.

We all felt like that at one stage. We all came to the conclusion that we are truly no longer human. And this isn't a bad thing. Ultimately, it's the only way to live. It's technically possible to clone a human body based on your DNA. And there's no reason why your brain as it is couldn't be placed into it. But you'd always know something was wrong. You'd always see yourself in the mirror and you'd always feel not quite human in a way you'd be less and less able to quantify. And that feeling would begin to eat at the back of your mind, fuelling a self-destructive spiralling paranoia as you seek out the last few dregs of humanity you know are still missing because you just don't feel 'right' anymore.

I've seen it happen. It's not a nice path to tread. It doesn't end anywhere nice.

That's also why you're in such an obvious body. Perversely, it's easier to deal with the obviously-alien, rather than the subtly wrong. It's the uncanny valley effect. I suppose, it forces the mind to adapt, rather than allowing for a comforting delusion. The human brain's ability to adapt is never to be underestimated. If you allow it, and give it time, your mind will mould to match your hardware until it all becomes a natural part of you. Trust me, this is the best way. You can never be fully human again. We don't have the technology.

But it's OK not to be human. Once you cast off the label of humanity, you cast off the limits of mankind and you realise that you're free to come whatever you want to be. Take a naked stroll on Mars, or soar between the stars themselves - whatever takes your fancy.

The body you've been given is just a starting point. It's what the doc' had to hand when you arrived with an Emergency tag. The apparent gender might not match - even the face might be a little wrong. But that's OK because you can change it. That's the true beauty of cybernetics. With a biomod, it's a one-shot deal. With cybernetics -if you don't like what you are - you can change and change again.

Who you are now, is defined solely by who you want to be. Your body is yours to mould to whatever you wish. Take a moment to think on that - to think about what it would be like to be able to fly between planets, to look upon the raw universe with your own naked eyes and be a part of it all in the same way a dolphin is part of the ocean - unlike the sailor clinging to his tin-can ship.

That has been my privilege. It can be yours too, if you want. I can say that every little difficulty or challenge my body has thrown up seems cheap compared to being free amongst the stars.

But that's my thing. Maybe it's not yours.

It's something to think about. What can I do? What can I become? What do I want to be? These are the questions you need to ask I can't give you the answers, but if you join us at the Panzer Kunst Gruppe we can help you find them for yourself, while teaching you how to master your new self and control what you've become.

Whatever path you choose, welcome to a wider and more interesting world.

----------