Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] [IMPORTANT!] Proposal for Major FenWiki Changes

Last call for comment, folks. I really would like to have everybody's opinion before finalizing the decision. You have 24 hours to make yourselves heard.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Just as an additional comment, IF we do this it might be a good idea to let every active author move his or her own stories... this way they are connected to the new user accounts.

Good idea. How do we handle the multi-author stories, though?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Good idea. How do we handle the multi-author stories, though?
Interesting question... I assume ALL authors would like to be able to edit their stories if necessary.

Me Wrote:I will share, through email, IRC, PMs or some other non-public fashion, the account password so every active writer can post their work as they see fit. One of AO3's neater features is an unlimited number of pseudonyms, so everybody will also have their preferred author name as a pseudonym on the account.

C'mon guys, give me a little credit for thinking ahead here.

M Fnord Wrote:
Quote:I will share, through email, IRC, PMs or some other non-public fashion, the account password so every active writer can post their work as they see fit. One of AO3's neater features is an unlimited number of pseudonyms, so everybody will also have their preferred author name as a pseudonym on the account.

*give credit*

I still think it might be a good thing to distribute the workload... seeing all your old stories again can trigger a "need to revise that part a bit" reflex. Wink

M Fnord Wrote:
Me Wrote:I will share, through email, IRC, PMs or some other non-public fashion, the account password so every active writer can post their work as they see fit. One of AO3's neater features is an unlimited number of pseudonyms, so everybody will also have their preferred author name as a pseudonym on the account.

Meh - space commies don't want those steenkin' Stellvian credits...

Er...

Oh, right. Good thinking, Mal.
--
Rob Kelk

Comment period is now officially over, and it would appear that the Collective supports moving the story archive to AO3. Since we're not on a deadline or anything, we're going to phase things over nice and slowly.

First off, I'll set up the AO3 account this evening. All active writers who want access send an email to fenspace.collective (at) gmail.com with your forum handle, and as soon as things are ready I'll send you the password. The actual migration will happen this weekend, I think, to give us more time for debugging.

Archive migration is currently in progress. People with AO3 access can help as they see fit - moving stories is tedious, while editing & messing with tags is even more so. You have your choice of tedium to work with! Big Grin

I would like to make a few minor modifications before I shift mine..... And also bring over the big finished one (or two) from the forums.

I have yet to even log in yet, but when I get back from Philcon I'll do what I can to help.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Okay, as of right now all of Season 0 has been uploaded to AO3, and so has Legend of Galactic Girls and the first nine stories in Season 1. Somebody who was not me also uploaded the Port Phobos Invitational, so good on you mysterious person.

Mal, the Top Gear Fenspace Special should be up, I upped it the first night I had access. I know you pointed that one out. I'll have to get the season 2 stuff that I wrote that's only on the forum at some point.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

I started moving over Shadowrunning 1&2 to get a feeling for the new webpage.

(edit) done.

(edit) I also added all my other Season 2 stories.

And Season 1 has now been migrated to AO3. Many thinks to everybody who helped. Onto Season 2.

I'll do mine during the week sometime... I spend most of today fiddling with ancient technology.

As of right now Season 2 has been migrated to AO3. Thanks to Dartz, HRogge & Firvulag for moving their stuff / others' stuff ahead of time. Infinities are next on the list.

ETA: Now that most of the heavy lifting re: story migration's done, if people want to pitch in the best thing to do is tag wrangling. Fandom tags, character tags, that sort of thing. Some stories have been tagged up but it's kind of haphazard since the emphasis was getting all the stuff moved over.

And again, if writers want access email fenspace.collective (at) gmail.com with your forums handle so's I know who I'm giving the password out to.

...and all the Fenspace Infinities material has been moved over. A few things were recategorized as Season 2 since technically we've moved the timeline forward, but hey.

So as of now all the material on the wiki that needs moving over to AO3 has been moved over. What's left now is to scrape the forums for all the stuff that's been posted but never actually made it to the wiki (I'm looking at you, Van Loan).

Oh, and one last thing for people who're moving their own stuff over: When posting new works on AO3 there's a little tickybox under "Associations" that says "Set a different publication date." It's not 100% end-of-the-world critical but please use that when posting older material, just to keep the various OCD cases on staff happy, 'kay? Smile

M Fnord Wrote:So as of now all the material on the wiki that needs moving over to AO3 has been moved over. What's left now is to scrape the forums for all the stuff that's been posted but never actually made it to the wiki (I'm looking at you, Van Loan).
Right - remind me this weekend to set up a wiki account for him while I'm at his place. (That way, he can choose his own password.) He can get his stuff together and I'll post it to AO3 at the same time.
--
Rob Kelk

M Fnord Wrote:ETA: Now that most of the heavy lifting re: story migration's done, if people want to pitch in the best thing to do is tag wrangling. Fandom tags, character tags, that sort of thing. Some stories have been tagged up but it's kind of haphazard since the emphasis was getting all the stuff moved over.
I looked at the tags but decided to look over them later again... not easy to decide which one to use.

As about "characters" and "relationships", I am not sure if they apply to the Fenspace stories...

But good summaries would be a great addition to our stories.

Well, relationships don't apply to most of our stories - we're not really heavy into shipping - but the characters tags just make it easy to sort by who's in the story.

And summaries, yes. We need summaries and taking FenWiki into account we're crap at writing them. Joy.

Crap at writing them, or more interested in writing other things?

I can do summaries, but after doing them all day at work, I'd much rather do something else.
--
Rob Kelk

Are characters Fandom specific?

Well, a lot of characters scream certain fandoms more than others.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:Well, a lot of characters scream certain fandoms more than others.
I guess that most fandoms are known by more people than Fenspace *G*