Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quotes to hang a story on

"Who am I to argue with the Captain of the Enterprise?" said William Shatner......

"Just about every system in this sector is conducive to habitation and colonization."

"What about this one over here?"

"Oh, that one? There's a lot of leftover asteroids, comets, and planetesimals; the orbits are packed rather close together; and the two largest planets have entered a two-to-one orbital resonance. We won't go there. Ever."

"Use the Tropes, Luke!"
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

"Good morning Ms. Clay. I'm your court appointed lawyer."

Peig frightens me. The one time we used it, we left the comm-channel open. First came the sobs. Then the gunshots as they turned their weapons on themselves. We found one survivor on the ship - the sole Irish member of crew who'd built up an immunity to Peig through long years of torture in the Irish education system.

The Beal Bocht would take more lives, before the war ended.

Using it took its toll on us, aswell.

"You ever wonder what would have happened if the 'wave showed up earlier?"

"What do you mean, Bob?"

"I'm just saying, what if it had shown up back in the '30s?"

"Christ, I don't even want to think about the craziness actual soviets would have come up with. Stop giving it ideas. I don't want to fly through some dumb time-ripple or other crap like that to find ourselves in some Red Alert crazy-universe."

"Just saying, rocket-punk. Can you even imagine all the loonies in the old US' o' A down on their luck getting the wave? C'mon, Joe, doesn't the idea intrigue you just a little?"

Threepony Wrote:"You ever wonder what would have happened if the 'wave showed up earlier?"

"What do you mean, Bob?"

"I'm just saying, what if it had shown up back in the '30s?"

"Christ, I don't even want to think about the craziness actual soviets would have come up with. Stop giving it ideas. I don't want to fly through some dumb time-ripple or other crap like that to find ourselves in some Red Alert crazy-universe."

"Just saying, rocket-punk. Can you even imagine all the loonies in the old US' o' A down on their luck getting the wave? C'mon, Joe, doesn't the idea intrigue you just a little?"

You know, on a meta level I have been having similar ideas myself: What if handwavium had made an earlier appearance (e.g., in the 1950s)? Of course, that's a topic for another thread, but that should be interesting to see!

Anyway, a quote:

"What's so bad about that posting, you ask? Well, to put it in 'Dane terms, imagine some unholy combination of the memetic versions of Australia, Florida, and modern Detroit, and you should begin to get the picture..."

"In 2011, shortly before the death of his father, Kim Jong-un made a two-week visit to the city of Korolevgrad. On the last day before he returned home, he was invited to meet with Generalissimo Fnord. The two men were in conference for several hours, accompanied only by their respective bodyguards. Nobody else knows what the two main said to one another, with an official statement from the VVS stating only that they parted 'cordially'.

"We can however be sure that whatever Mal said to him clearly made a considerable impression."

JakeGrey Wrote:"In 2011, shortly before the death of his father, Kim Jong-un made a two-week visit to the city of Korolevgrad. On the last day before he returned home, he was invited to meet with Generalissimo Fnord. The two men were in conference for several hours, accompanied only by their respective bodyguards. Nobody else knows what the two main said to one another, with an official statement from the VVS stating only that they parted 'cordially'.

"We can however be sure that whatever Mal said to him clearly made a considerable impression."

Damn it, I want to know more.

"For god's sake, it's just a cold! Keep that guac away from me!"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

"Your telescope's malfunctioning? Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

(This is another case of ripped from the headlines...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

"The evil genius is a hazard, but they're not really a large-scale threat. No matter how monomaniacal the evil genius is still smart enough to understand the rules of engagement, so if you push hard enough they'll yield even if only out of enlightened self-interest. In this way you can direct their force, shape the outcome to your liking.

The real threat comes when you get an egotistical idiot with lots of power."
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

"Beware those in power that believe they are using their power for everyone's best interest. For Hell is full of asphalt and the Devil is willing to sell it by the dump truck load to them."
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

"Convention citizens and the organisers of what you might call mundane SF&F conventions have something of a love-hate relationship. On the one hand having an actual bonafide spaceship for an exhibit is guaranteed to sell tickets, but on the other, the security staff tend to be rather less well-equipped to deal with 'wavium-related hijinks than at a big-C Convention. The Sad Puppies found this out to their cost."

"You need to be careful, Gaige. Your sister's still a good person, but she's been bruised, and she's spoiling. She tried to stop it, but it's started again and it's getting worse. It won't take much more for her to start to rot and go bad. Promise me you'll keep that from happening.... promise me."

"Understanding who you are, and being happy with that, has always been one of the great challenges of life. Why did we think the 'wave would make that any easier?"

"I've always wanted to banzai-charge a comet, so count me in on this one!"

"They say that Boskone has a thousand faces. This guy was at least three of them."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

"Well off to have my annual medical and dental check up."

"I thought you where going to the zoo?"

"Yes."
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

"OK, so you remember that old kid's game, 'Lava', where you can't touch the floor?"

"Um, yeah? What does that have to do with the evacuation alarm?"

"Let's put it this way... part of the emergency is that we've had a containment breach of the Handwavium storage... and we're going to have to play that game to get to the escape pod without picking up any sort of biomod in the process..."
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Quote:JFerio wrote:
"OK, so you remember that old kid's game, 'Lava', where you can't touch the floor?"

"Um, yeah? What does that have to do with the evacuation alarm?"

"Let's put it this way... part of the emergency is that we've had a containment breach of the Handwavium storage... and we're going to have to play that game to get to the escape pod without picking up any sort of biomod in the process..."
Meanwhile, the guy who already has a biomod just slogs through the mess without a care. 

"We're in no condition to mount a rescue, this is a museum ship,"

"We're the only ship in range."

"Alright. Helm, lay in a course...."

---The last batle of the SS Ciara

"The SS Blake was reported overdue at SSXBase at 10:45 local time. A rescue ship was despatched. They found wreckage. There were no survivors."

"Leave it to you guys to turn a simple game of paintball into some unholy fusion of Omaha Beach and the First Day of the Somme!"

"He was a good friend of mine a few years ago. I guess he just wanted something different...."

"A Tachikoma?"

"Well, yeah. As far as I know they're happy. The Tachi's original mind's quite happy being his muse together in the one body."

"Cybers are weird...."