Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quotes to hang a story on

"There are many words and phrases known to cause acute worry or even panic in experienced engineers and technicians, chief among them 'oops'. Handwavium has made 'oops' more worrisome than ever before."

Why am I hearing the word Fineas ring throw the air to that Jake?

Rajvik Wrote:Why am I hearing the word Fineas ring throw the air to that Jake?
I don't get the reference, so I've no idea.

"Just because someone is a shapeshifter, it doesn't mean they're wantin' to join a pack. Now, do you still want that piña colada?"
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Misspelled it.

Phineas and Ferb. Its a decent cartoon of two brothers building weird things and annoying the piss out of their older sister. Its on Disney.

Rajvik Wrote:Misspelled it.

Phineas and Ferb. Its a decent cartoon of two brothers building weird things and annoying the piss out of their older sister. Its on Disney.
Oh, right. Well, the resemblance is definitely accidental because I don't have cable.

"Holy Heinlein, that's not an Interocitor!"  

"Hey! Could you had me the reticulated frammistat?"

"Where is it?"

"Right next to the thingummy and the whatsit, on the other side of the doohickey."

"Oh. Just so we're clear."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

"Oy! You! Die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die!"
"Ack!" *thump*

"Thank you."
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

"Betelgeuse! Betelgeuse! Betelgeuse!"

646 years later, all life on Earth was extinguished by a Gamma Ray burst.

Ross Van Loan Wrote:"Holy Heinlein, that's not an Interocitor!"
"Of course it is! I use it to make hot chocolate."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

"From the ground, the sky looks very big and very empty. But when you get up there in your little tin can Ford zipping around at 20,000ft you'll learn that it's very small and contains things that're very big and very full, which are traveling very fast and are very hard to spot, and that it would be very bad indeed to hit one of them. This isn't a public road up here. If you come up here and fuck around and ignore The Rules you will hit something, and chances are that something will be full of innocent people who won't appreciate having their morning coffee being interrupted by them being suddenly catapulted into cold thin air going 500 kilometres per hour. And if you through some dumb miracle manage to survive ramming an airliner, you can bet there'll be a dozen different government quangos each wanting to take a big wet legal bite out of your scorched and bloodied arse, followed afterwards by the relatives and families of the recently deceased.

There are Rules in the Sky. And every single one of them came about because this one time, someone did something, and because that someone did that something a whole bunch of other someones got killed. So, unless you want to commit mass manslaughter, read this here handy guide and learn the rules. first And if you can't do that, do everyone a favour maybe consider saving a lot of lives and us the bother of cleaning up your mess by buying passage on a starliner instead."

---- "So you want to Fly a Car"

Dartz Wrote:"From the ground, the sky looks very big and very empty. But when you get up there in your little tin can Ford zipping around at 20,000ft you'll learn that it's very small and very full of things that're very big and very full, which are traveling very fast and are very hard to spot, and that it would be very bad indeed to hit one of them. This isn't a public road up here. If you come up here and fuck around and ignore The Rules you will hit something, and chances are that something will be full of innocent people who won't appreciate having their morning coffee being interrupted by them being suddenly catapulted into cold thin air going 500 kilometres per hour. And if you through some dumb miracle manage to survive ramming an airliner, you can bet there'll be a dozen different government quangos each wanting to take a big wet legal bite out of your scorched and bloodied arse, followed afterwards by the relatives and families of the recently deceased.

There are Rules in the Sky. And every single one of them came about because this one time, someone did something, and because that someone did that something a whole bunch of other someones got killed. So, unless you want to commit mass manslaughter, read this here handy guide and learn the rules. first And if you can't do that, do everyone a favour maybe consider saving a lot of lives and us the bother of cleaning up your mess by buying passage on a starliner instead."

---- "So you want to Fly a Car"
This is something that Convention Authority bureaucrat Rob Donaldson could have written, if you replace "quangos" with "agencies" (because I'm... er, he's from Canada.)

Oh, and there would be a few other versions with the same message, with wording changes for audiences made up of more- or less-sensitive ears.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:"So you want to Fly a Car"
A BaconBooks publication, of course, regardless of the localization involved.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

BaconBooks? Google escapes me.

"All governments of any form want one thing above all else - to remain in power. Everything else feeds that one thing. Representative Democracy is just a crude hack attempting to make that work in our favour."

"You shoot a President and all that'll happen is they'll find a new one, then line you and yours up against a pock-marked wall for your trouble. The only real way to defeat Government is to make it irrelevant."

"Revolutions are all the same. They all end up right back where they started eventually..."

"To be an Anarchist and a Communist is to trust in the best of people.... to Believe that the best of us will always outnumber the worst of us and that we can all build a better world. How I came into this world, has only made me believe it all the more. "

-Lun Alekseeva. To whomever will listen....

Quote:BaconBooks? Google escapes me.
Sorry, a reference to Undocumented Features -- in the latest (chronologically) stories, one of the background details that keep surfacing, somewhere between running gag and internal trope, is the BaconBooks line of guides for the person in unusual situations, most of them written by Derek Bacon, with titles like:

* So You Just Arrived from a Parallel Dimension
* So You Aren't the Master Race: Coping with the End of Your Civilization's Dreams of Conquest
* So You Became Unstuck in Time
* So You're Not Who You Thought You Were: Coping With Manchurian Deprogramming
* So You've Just Crawled Out of a Vault: Surviving in a Post-Apocalyptic World
* So You Fell From A Great Height: A Celestial Outcast's Survival Guide to the Mortal Plane
* So You're Dead: A Non-Survivor's Guide To Valhalla
* So You Don't Want the Creature to Eat You
* So You Come From Ye 17th Centurie (co-written with Samuel Pepys)
* So You Probably Shouldn't Have Eaten That
* So You Come From Australia
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

One I thought of while writing Evangelion fanfic:

"You know, for someone who works so hard at distancing herself from the character, Gina gets awfully defensive when you suggest that Asuka would have made a good Nazi."

Quote:JakeGrey wrote:
"You know, for someone who works so hard at distancing herself from the character, Gina gets awfully defensive when you suggest that Asuka would have made a good Nazi."
"... Whelp, it's been nice knowing you, I'm getting to minimum safe distance. Hi Gina."

"The best kind of mid-life crisis is one where handwavium plays a key role."

"The exhaust leaks a bit on really cold starts, but it's never caused a problem before."

One that I plan to hang The Last Noah Scott Story on, if I ever get around to writing the silly thing:

"Sooner or later, everybody retires. Except for my father."
--
Rob Kelk

Similarly, if I ever get the free time to write more Blazers stories, this is a line from "Last Stand in Open Country," the final story with the Cavaliers:
"You know, for a moment there, I thought we were in trouble."

(For those not in the know, this is the penultimate line in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." Just before someone shouts "Fuego!" and there's a whole lot of gunfire.)
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

"So, she found out I was behind attimfacts.com. I never ever want to see a smile like that again"

"I'm very sorry if this comes as a shock, Miss Hatsune, but... You're quite popular with the Fen."
"How popular?"
"Popular enough that bioroids and AI based on yourself are considered their own ethnicity."
"Oh what the fuck."

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:BaconBooks? Google escapes me.
Sorry, a reference to Undocumented Features -- in the latest (chronologically) stories, one of the background details that keep surfacing, somewhere between running gag and internal trope, is the BaconBooks line of guides for the person in unusual situations, most of them written by Derek Bacon, with titles like:

* So You Just Arrived from a Parallel Dimension
* So You Aren't the Master Race: Coping with the End of Your Civilization's Dreams of Conquest
* So You Became Unstuck in Time
* So You're Not Who You Thought You Were: Coping With Manchurian Deprogramming
* So You've Just Crawled Out of a Vault: Surviving in a Post-Apocalyptic World
* So You Fell From A Great Height: A Celestial Outcast's Survival Guide to the Mortal Plane
* So You're Dead: A Non-Survivor's Guide To Valhalla
* So You Don't Want the Creature to Eat You
* So You Come From Ye 17th Centurie (co-written with Samuel Pepys)
* So You Probably Shouldn't Have Eaten That
* So You Come From Australia
We really ought to have at least the last two on that list in Fenspace. "So You Probably Shouldn't Have Eaten That" is obviously a guide to coping with unknowingly ingesting Guacamole, and "So You Come From Australia" is either "Fenspace for 'Danes" or "The Really Real World for Fenkinder".

And, of course, there's the home-grown titles:
  • So You Woke Up in an Android Body: Coping with Being an Expy in the Convention
  • So You Want to Homestead on Mars
  • So You're a Catgirl
  • So You've Been Offered a Job by The Professor (co-written with Julien Friez, Julien Friez, and Julien Friez)
  • So You Just Broke Up with Your Car
  • So You Fell in Love with Someone from a Rival Faction: Avoiding the Montague/Capulet Outcome
  • So You've Pissed off Marsden, Scott, and O'Neill: Surviving in Space Without a "Real" Job
--
Rob Kelk