Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quotes to hang a story on

So Bob suggested that,
Quote:Look, you know the rules -- if you wanna go to space, you either ride a motorcycle up some stairs or eat a bookbag full of butter.
should be in this thread and I have to agree. I have to wonder how many places in fenspace have XKCD strips (and What If illustrations) taped and pinned up the way so many cubicles have Dilbert strips decorating the walls.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

"So, the rivalry between the Metahumans and both factions of Superhumans has left us with a surprise winner this election after all the tranfers are counted. For the next four years, there's a Parahuman government in Kandor. "

"Okay, so maybe I should have made the operating instructions a bit more detailed, but how was I supposed to know that guy was just going to drink it?"

(Inspired by this response to my recruitment drive on Spacebattles.)

"I'm not sure who's worse. The person who knowingly buys a motoroid equipped with military-style LIDAR and RADAR jamming techniques for the sole purpose of evading speed traps, or the person who knowingly builds and advertises that motoroid for exactly that purpose...."

JakeGrey Wrote:"Okay, so maybe I should have made the operating instructions a bit more detailed, but how was I supposed to know that guy was just going to drink it?"

(Inspired by %[link=http://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/16741848/]this] response to my recruitment drive on Spacebattles.)
Reading more of that thread ... I have no problem with a darker-and-edgier variant of Fenspace. But if it happens, somebody please reply to post 17 (I don't have a SpaceBattles account) and let SparraNova know (s)he's already got an opponent who won't be playing things as silly as in http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... enspace.21]this wiki post.

EDIT: And as for post 14, somebody let Fascinating Dakka know that, in baseline Fenspace, (a) handwavium exposure is cumulative, and (b) we established over a half-decade ago that the female member of the Hong Kong Cavaliers was born male. But that's baseline Fenspace.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

"Mixing it with random alcohol and selling it on the street for a quick few bucks is not an appropriate use of handwavium. Warning label or no warning label."

(Also inspired by a response to the SB recruitment drive, which I'm now starting to think was a bad idea.)

"Don't worry, I've seen every Fast and Furious movie. I've got this."

(Fun fact: We've established that Sora Hasegawa is a big F&F fan. Because why not? Big Grin )
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

"Remember... No Klingon."

M Fnord Wrote:"Don't worry, I've seen every Fast and Furious movie. I've got this."

(Fun fact: We've established that Sora Hasegawa is a big F&F fan. Because why not? Big Grin )
Well, duh. No doubt she complains about any technical inaccuracies, though.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:M Fnord wrote:
"Don't worry, I've seen every Fast and Furious movie. I've got this."

Well, duh. No doubt she complains about any technical inaccuracies, though.
so do i so what of it

robkelk Wrote:Well, duh. No doubt she complains about any technical inaccuracies, though.
"Are you kidding? If they were in any way realistic they'd be horrid! I like them just as they are, with cool cars doing crazy things, loud music and lots of pretty boys and pretty girls in tank tops."

("Besides, with handwavium every single stunt in a Fast and Furious movie is 100% plausible," she added with a guileless smile, causing 2D6 nearby engineers to spontaneously combust.)
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

"Hey guys? Was this arcology on our front lawn yesterday or is it new?"
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

My only real problem was the scene with Hobbs shooting the mini-gun, it used to much ammo and didn't have a power supply.

"Kohran, what in St. Barbara's name made you decide to build that?"

(inspired by this 3D model ... which I of course purchased)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
"Kohran, what in St. Barbara's name made you decide to build that?"

I.. can see those in the Battletech/fenspace isot.
"Jumpjets? Jumpjets!? Who the hell puts jumpjets on LRM turrets!?"
"Worse boss! I think they are sharing targeting data!"
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

It's the anti-mech version of a Bouncing Betty.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Dakota Wrote:
Quote:robkelk wrote:"Kohran, what in St. Barbara's name made you decide to build that?"

Great... now I have the picture of a dozens of these things, all in the proper BT miniature size fighting a war on the table against each other... and against the stupid 'giants' that want to take away the dice from them! Wink

Quote:HRogge wrote:
Quote:Dakota wrote:
Quote:robkelk wrote:"Kohran, what in St. Barbara's name made you decide to build that?"

Great... now I have the picture of a dozens of these things, all in the proper BT miniature size fighting a war on the table against each other... and against the stupid 'giants' that want to take away the dice from them! Wink
It'd be like a demented game of whack-a-mole! No MechWarrior would want to play that!  

Me me I'll play, just let me warm up "Tender Mercy"

"Cute little things aren't supposed to cause panic and meyhem just by showing up. We need to set down some ground rules, like 'keep away from plants, maple syrup, and heavy mining equipment'."

(This one's for you, Threepony!)

"For the last bloody time, I am not interested in devoting my entire existence to optimally satisfying human values, and I'd need more than friendship and ponies to do it if I was. You want a Godlike AI, go ask Deidre Griest why the Soviets call 2700-Baikonur the Deehive. Actually, ask her that even if you don't, the look on her face would be awesome."

"We've got a 50 mile patrol beat to cover, it's the lunar night in the NLR, the princess put the synth-sun down for recharging, we're lost in the woods, and we're all wearing sunglassed. The next person who makes a Blues Brothers joke is getting tazed. Hit it, Chewie."

"Have you ever seen an 8-year old Amish girl try to cover an asteroid in rose bushes? Because it was either that or she would get bored and biomod the crops again."

EDIT:
"Chanukah?"
"Chanukah, sometimes known as The Jewish Holiday of Deep-frying Everything."
"ELENA! Get with Jason and figure out how to make a deep fryer! We're celebrating Christmas and Chanukah this year!"
(totally out of season, but since my roommates demanded latkes, this spontaneously happened)

"SS Olympia? you bought a cruise ship? Wait that says USS.. you bought a WARSHIP!?"

"A antique warship, her keel was laid down in 1891. They where getting ready to sell her for scrap since they couldn't keep up with maintenance costs."
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Dakota Wrote:"SS Olympia? you bought a cruise ship? Wait that says USS.. you bought a WARSHIP!?"

"A antique warship, her keel was laid down in 1891. They where getting ready to sell her for scrap since they couldn't keep up with maintenance costs."
You know, the 'USS=warship' thing isn't actually true. It just means the ship is flagged to the US, and is of suitable size. I've heard of cargo ships with the USS prefix, as well.