Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The current state of mecha, giant robots in fenspace.

As in what is the biggest ship that current shipyards can build?

kashim27 Wrote:As in what is the biggest ship that current shipyards can build?
I think you have to split the answer into two parts... purpose built spaceships or modified (sometimes modified design) sea vessels. I am not counting ships made from asteroids in this post.

Spaceships:
I think the largest (as in length) one that has been produced more than once is the Gagarin-class (130m long, 228m width). Its designed similar to a plane, so its pretty light for a ship of its size (558 tons). Its also the only large design in Fenspace that have been produced more than a dozen times.

The Thrillmaster is also large (167.55 m) and heavy (9400 tons), its built from a lot of connected shipping containers.

The Belisarius is large, but its exact measurements and mass is unknown.

The Normandy (honorary entry Wink ) is quite heavy for its size... mainbody of 53*10*8 meters, but 830 tons. Two were built during Season 2, a third one is under construction in 2022 at Nostromo.

Sea vessels in space:
The Stingray started as a "normal" Seawolf Class built by the US (12000 tons)

The Fram is a waved ice-breaker (155m long, 22,400 tons).

The Pearl Starways is also quite large (178m long) and as a ferry its quite heavy (unclear, "GRT" is an unit of volume, not mass).

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Define "ship." Does Grover's Corners count, or is that a station that happens to have an engine?
I always considered Grover's Corners to be a self-propelled landmass. Mobile station is probably the closest way to define most unreal estate.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

HRogge Wrote:I think the largest (as in length) one that has been produced more than once is the Gagarin-class (130m long, 228m width). Its designed similar to a plane, so its pretty light for a ship of its size (558 tons). Its also the only large design in Fenspace that have been produced more than a dozen times.
There are dozens of Starclippers out there, too. They aren't as large as a Gagarin, but they're bigger than most Fencraft.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:There are dozens of Starclippers out there, too. They aren't as large as a Gagarin, but they're bigger than most Fencraft.
I just looked through the "Space Vessels", not the "Space Crafts"... Wink

We also have the Blue Midgets, which are the size of a set of four-story flats.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Does that colony ship from Candle in the Dark -- I forget its name, but it's the one that made a bit of an impression when it appeared over Port Antallos -- count? Easily an order of magnitude bigger than the GC.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Does that colony ship from Candle in the Dark -- I forget its name, but it's the one that made a bit of an impression when it appeared over Port Antallos -- count? Easily an order of magnitude bigger than the GC.
I am not sure the Megaroad is already canon in normal Fenspace Season 0-2.

I figure I flesh out the AEUG abit and am going to using this http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Antietam-class In the story

GCS Megaroad is one of several in its class. Others include GCS Prydwen (discovery and opening of the Annwn colony) and the Neihardt Clan's farm-ship, whose name I can't remember offhand right now. They are a shipyard item, not a simple assembly-line, but yes, for certain values of "mass" production.
ETA: On the topic of the VF-1:
The first squadrons were converted F-14's looted from a USAF boneyard, true.
They made up about half of the planes used in the Boskone War by Greenwood forces.
The rest were hand-built from scratch, and a single assembly line was established late in the war. This produced the Roughriders' early units. 
Eventually a license deal was cut between SBA and BAT, and more assembly lines were established under BAT jurisdiction, including the first VF-1C and VT-1E models. 
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Firvulag Wrote:I'd imagine attempting to build the Buster Corps, or some version of the Absolute Defence System would also draw a few... complaints too.

Oh... I just recalled This thing which was sort of thrown in the septic tank because the result wasn't as interesting as I thought it'd be. Nono was one of the inspirations for Jet - although it's fallen out a little.