Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question on source material for Fenwork
A question on source material for Fenwork
I'm currently working on a few character ideas and a (at least) short fic that will likely include an updated version of a snippet I posted a few years back, and wanted to check on the in-universe development of certain real-world materials.

The idea I had was that my self-insert, being Australian, would be able to stay more or less planet side during the early days and take the time to work on his handwavium projects properly. This would lead to him building a spaceship proper in late 2011, early to mid 2012.

The idea I had for his ship and possibly a droid come from Star Wars The Old Republic, which came out December 2011. I had to wonder, given the state of affairs regarding sci-fi in the US at the time, would that game have been abandoned, or is it possible that it still came out, either in spite of anti-fen complainers, or maybe even using it for extra publicity?

SWTOR falls under the same basic umbrella as My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. That is, it's sufficiently interesting/popular enough that it slips through any possible handwavium-based butterfly effect.

Also I'm pretty sure Star Wars spinoffs will survive the apocalypse.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Sweet. I had a backup plan involving KOTOR, but this helps. Thanks.

Consider also:

1) Games aren't made in an afternoon - at least, games that are as complex as SW games aren't. There's a certain amount of development time involved, which pushed the "inclusion" date back a bit.

2) Warsies are the second-largest demographic in the Convention - there's a market out there for SW stuff, including games.

3) (which doesn't apply in this case) After late-2012, there's the cultural data in the whole Fenspace Catalog available to draw upon, which includes properties similar to those in our world.

Thus, while the particulars might be different, the broad brush-strokes will still be there...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012