Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[odd] AMAA, Daryl Haur, Pilot of Asagiri.
[odd] AMAA, Daryl Haur, Pilot of Asagiri.
Posted by: Asagiri_Haur
In: /r/IAMA

What is says in the title.

I am ARR Warbirds Championship Winning Pilot Daryl Haur, taking a break from test flights for next season.

Ask me (Almost) Anything.

---

Posted by: CatMinusHat
Subj RE: AMAA, Daryl Haur, Pilot of Asagiri

Well, I'm a bit of an FNG when it comes to this sort of thing, being new to SPACE in general, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm assuming training for pro-racers means simulator hours and time behind the stick, but what else goes into it? Just a physical health regimen?

For that matter, do cyberized racers race in different categories than fleshy ones? Or are all racers at least a little bit metal?

And what goes into choosing your course anyway? I mean, you guys fly around, so you don't need a physical track or road so much as a series of markers, which could all be implemented using GPS and AR now that I think about it. So are there regulation distances and turns? Different constraints for flying in different levels of gravity and atmosphere?

Sorry, seems I'm prattling a bit. I should let some one else ask something too...

Posted by: Asagiri_Haur
Subj RE: AMAA, Daryl Haur, Pilot of Asagiri

>I'm assuming training for pro-racers means simulator hours and time behind the stick, but what else goes into it? Just a physical health regimen?

Physically, it's all about taking G-forces without blacking out, so that means a strong heart and good muscles. Or, getting fatiguedmid-race which affects concentration and your ability to control the jet and not do stupid things. Which also feeds back into diet. I'm on a morning and evening training regime, with a carefully managed diet. You just have to be beyond fit in order to fly one of these at the top level.

I don't do much simulator time because we can't afford a full vario-G rig so by necessity I am out in the sky. But real spacecraft always feel different than a simulator. You learn more on a real flight for a start. We had a simulated RF-47 before we built a real one. It flew really easy and well in the simulator, but with the exact same settings it nearly killed me the first few times I took it out because it had a lethal tendancy to drop into what's called PIO and porpoise down the runway, smacking a skid-plate on the tail.

>For that matter, do cyberized racers race in different categories than fleshy ones? Or are all racers at least a little bit metal?

No. There really isn't much difference. Less than you'd think. You can get more speed spending that money elsewhere.

>And what goes into choosing your course anyway? I mean, you guys fly around, so you don't need a physical track or road so much as a series of markers, which could all be implemented using GPS and AR now that I think about it. So are there regulation distances and turns? Different constraints for flying in different levels of gravity and atmosphere?

It depends on the track. Some courses are simply a serious of Marker buoys or gates that you have to fly through, in three dimensions, with some obstacles thrown in for ood measure. Sometimes there's leeway to navigate - like the race at Noctis which lets you take a few different paths through the canyons, some of which are faster but riskier - sometimes it's rigid like at Ultima, with only a few opportunities to shave time with a good nav system.