Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Meta]Fenspace Subreddit?
[Meta]Fenspace Subreddit?
As Mal put it when I tossed the idea out there in IRC: "I'm torn. On the one hand, greater exposure. On the other hand, Reddit."

What do you lot reckon?

I have no clue what Reddit is

Reddit is well known to be one of the Cesspools of the Internet. Read up on their recent woes on trying to clean things up so that advertisers and investors will actually be willing to touch them even with the proverbial 10 foot pole. Personally, I'd pass, we don't need that sort of stench, it tends not to wash off.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

What I find wearing is the inter-subReddit drama, and many mods seem to have a "guilt by association" fetish for bans and shadowbans. (The latter is you're banned but don't know it: you can make posts and replies, but nobody but you gets to see them.)
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:What I find wearing is the inter-subReddit drama, and many mods seem to have a "guilt by association" fetish for bans and shadowbans. (The latter is you're banned but don't know it: you can make posts and replies, but nobody but you gets to see them.)
Considering that at least two of the Fenspace Collective are also mods on All The Tropes, I'd say we don't need the perception of culture clash (whatever the reality might be).
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

MY experience with Reddit has been that individual subreddits are as good or bad as the standards of behaviour their moderators enforce. I think we ought to make it a policy to restrict shadowbans to actual spambots if we do go ahead with this, though.

Hmmm. How many internet filters commonly used by employers and such filter out Reddit?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

ECSNorway Wrote:Hmmm. How many internet filters commonly used by employers and such filter out Reddit?
Probably more than the number that commonly filter out yuku.com, and I'm not suggesting we migrate there totally and wind up the forum.

Yeah, given that reddit is still slowly sorting out a massive number of racist, sexist, and otherwise lawbreaking subreddits, it might not be a good idea to migrate. There'd be a good chance of getting a fenspace subreddit invaded if people knew it existed.

So, am I hearing "don't do it" or "don't do it yet"?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

What about Voat?  Could that be a second option?

ATT on Voat Wrote:In fact, it was created as something of "reboot" of the concept started by Reddit, and Voat was created due to belief that Reddit had become a censored unfun community, with some even laying the blame for the perceived decline in Reddit's accessibility and popularity at the feet of social justice warriors.
No. Just... no.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

I'm with Mal on this.

Non-drunk off my arse EDIT:

I mused on it a while back and concluded that Fenspace would be ill suited for Reddit for a number of technical and community reasons. And Voat is worse for all of them.

No. To either.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Probably a good call considering there's likely some sort of corrupt boilerplate in the EULA for even posting on the subreddits...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

So, I guess we'll just stick with this place (for now, anyway), right?

Looks that way.

For the moment. Bob's been good to us & even if we opened up a new slot I don't see a reason to close up shop here. Assuming Reddit gets its shit together to the point where we don't have to fend off shitheads 24/7 we might set up over there.

As someone who has been watching the reddit trainwreck in action for years, I would strongly suggest against moving there. Or anywhere related to it.

There's not only the problem if it basically being a successor of 4chan, there's also the issue of the people running the circus having their OWN pet horrible people that they DON'T want to get rid of.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

I just had a thought:

What about setting up a Fenspace megathread on Spacebattles's Creative Writing subforum?  Could that be made to work?

Just an idea that I thought I'd throw out there.

Oh god, not on SB. They're already upset our AU of Fenspace isn't Grimderp enough, and I remember the Entry With A Bang clusterfuck.

Now that's an idea!

They haven't seen the Leopoldian shit I'm planning for Edwards then....

The phrase, Rapture Meets the Belgian Congo comes to mind.... I will give them derp so grim they beg for kittens and fluffy.

Spacebattlers gonna spacebattle, but to be fair we've picked up some readers and some decent people from our crossposting. Don't think we have enough churn to justify a megathread at SB or SV, but... maybe one of these days. Always in motion, the future is.