Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Meta]Fenspace Subreddit?

Well, unless anyone has any overwhelming objections, I'm going to roll the dice on a Fenspace Ideas and Discussion thread on Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity.

EDIT: For better or worse, it is done.

Sufficient Velocity

Spacebattles

Since it's happened...

1) What exactly is Sufficient Velocity and why should I be reading it? (They don't have an ATT page.)

2) What exactly is Spacebattles and why should I be reading it? (Their http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Spacebattles.com]ATT page reads like everything I didn't like about Fenspace Season 1.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

A mix of decent sci-fi readers, some writers, some people who call any protoagonist who isn't hypercompetent a moron, a lot of hangers on, and a small subcore that really, desperately want to be hard bastards making hard decisions and are just itching for the chance to come along.

In fairness, both SB and SV (Which was a spinoff forum made after technical difficulties and forum politics DRAMAH) have some good stuff to be found in their fanfic forums. But Sturgeons Law is very much in effect.

Dartz Wrote:A mix of decent sci-fi readers, some writers, some people who call any protoagonist who isn't hypercompetent a moron, a lot of hangers on, and a small subcore that really, desperately want to be hard bastards making hard decisions and are just itching for the chance to come along.
The first two groups sound decent enough. How vocal are the others?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

They also both have a decent cadre of moderators who can be trusted to knock heads together if the bullshit really spirals out of control.

Jakes got a point. SB's gotten a lot better about that since the previously mentioned drama. The fiction forum is a lot better moderated these days.

Robkelk, that strongle depends on what threads you read. Fiction Discussion can be a pain sometimes, and some fics just tend to attract them. Worm threads too, for some reason. There has been an uptick in the last few months - and supposedly SV's better moderated.

Then again, I'm in a bit of a cynical mood tonight, so take that with a grain of salt. I don't normally get bugged by them since, in general, I don't post things that'd attract them. Even though the worm thing did pick up a few murmers of it....

In case you're all wondering, said "drama" involved a highly-regarded moderator getting relieved of her position for maybe overstepping her authority a bit, which they then tried to pass off as her "retiring". The community rallied round and called the supermods out on what an amazingly bad decision this was... and the senior people took ownership of their mistake with a public apology, several resignations and a number of moderation policy changes to make sure it never happened again.

Credit where credit is due, SB can be a rowdy neighbourhood at times but they do have some standards.

In re: Reddit: Fenspace has already been mentioned in at least one fanfic subreddit.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll