Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inspirational and Meta Sites Threedux
RE: Inspirational and Meta Sites Threedux
(02-20-2019, 04:20 PM)Dartz Wrote: Unit 4 met it's annual quota for power generation in just 5 microseconds. That's hardly limping.

Thinking more along the lines of they only had 3 of them shorty after that.  Tongue
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
The stuff documented in yesterday's XKCD sounds like something a Fan would come up with on a Blue-Hair Day:

https://www.xkcd.com/2125/
[Image: luna_2.png]
Alt-Text:
Quote:The flags were probably vaporized on impact, because we launched it before we had finished figuring out how to land. That makes sense from an engineering standpoint, but also feels like a metaphor.

The best part is, it was something that was done in real life!
A commissioned piece from KatieOK90, from a recent con. With etsy page

Considering where Jet's story has been going lately, it makes a nice change of pace

[Image: NJVgTbil.jpg]

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE:
(01-11-2017, 06:30 PM)robkelk Wrote: Interstellar exploration has been concentrating on what's visible from the southern hemisphere - here's a reason to head in the other direction.

Star predicted to explode in 2022

To which Fen say "no, the light from an explosion 1800 years ago is predicted to reach Sol in 2022"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Bumping this as it's now halfway between its original posting on this thread and the estimated date of boom.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Saw a tweet and thought of someone we know. The expression alone makes it... a nice little piece of fanart.

https://twitter.com/RennLum/status/1263201211144118275

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

"This elevates Ceres to 'ocean world' status".

Or, at least, it has water.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Lun.

Back on the water. Albeit, under tow

Back in the water again

There is, Another. Looks to be in a 'all parts present' condition, if not complete. A non-running project, if you will. Half-finished. Ran out of time and money

Fandom isn't just an American thing.

This is brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7kr7utvVEs

(11-25-2019, 07:14 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(01-11-2017, 06:30 PM)robkelk Wrote: Interstellar exploration has been concentrating on what's visible from the southern hemisphere - here's a reason to head in the other direction.

To which Fen say "no, the light from an explosion 1800 years ago is predicted to reach Sol in 2022"
--
Rob Kelk

Bumping this as it's now halfway between its original posting on this thread and the estimated date of boom.

One more bump. Let's see how good their prediction was...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Spotted in a dig about the Fast and Furious series on Tumblr. I really wish I knew where the gifs are from:
[Image: 4989076b0a19e027ef177613fbac0d3a25cff337.gifv]
[Image: 24e52d91ce85c751eae95e2863debfe7496ec0c4.gifv]
You won't believe me. I looked it up to be sure.

They're actually from latest Fast and the Furious film.

See, it was Tumblr. I have no idea where half the stuff they get comes from and they often do intentional misattribution of .gifs.

But thanks for the info.
I... the Fast & Furious franchise is like someone's Hero-system superhero team concept was "skill and power FX must include cars (obvious, inaccessible focus), -1/2".
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki
(07-13-2021, 05:22 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 07:14 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

--
Rob Kelk

Another bump. we're halfway through 2022, and the night sky hasn't lit up yet...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ciara, her sister Orla, and the flagship Eithne Have been decommissioned from the Irish Navy.

I guessed the date right. More or less.

It's not clear yet what's happening to them.

Coilguns.

For reals.

[Image: isi5ZCFl.png]

Robbed from

The Drive

The Dead Horse will be beaten until even the the dust of its broken bones stops rising.

Speaking of which

A short video posted on Reddit showing a Buran doing whatever no shuttle ever did

.....echo....

....HELLO...

....Yedelolololololollay-HEE-HOO.....

Spotted a bit of a tumblr comic about our favorite ghost dog, Laika:

https://www.tumblr.com/cremsie/178049440...e-a-lot-of
Here's a pretty fascinating article about Jupiter's volcanic moon Io, specifically about an undoubtedly spectacular 1997 eruption there:

VolcanoCafe: Io’s Pillan Patera eruption in 1997: the largest lava falls ever seen

One can't help but imagine a bunch of Fen going to Io and trying to film its volcanic eruptions in the manner of the late, legendary volcanologist couple Katia and Maurice Krafft. Cool
(07-13-2021, 05:22 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 07:14 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

--
Rob Kelk

Completely invalid prediction, and not just because it didn't happen.

Astronomy.com, back in 2018: Two stars will NOT merge and explode into red fury in 2022. The prediction was caused by faulty data-interpretation.

The earthsky.org article never was updated. Remind me to not trust earthsky.org again.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
AI powered drone recognises human operator as obstacle to mission.. Promptly attempts to eliminate operator.

When trained not to do that - it attempts to eliminate the comm tower.

It didn't even need to be struck by lightning. So long as it doesn't start listening to Incubus.....

It makes for a good story seed for Fenspace, but according to other articles I read on this, it's nothing more than a fast-moving urban legend spawned out of that conference.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
So, I just happened to come across this cheeky Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NonCredibleDefe...in1_state/

And here's the image if you don't want to click the link for whatever reason(s):

[Image: the-double-decker-the-worlds-first-2-in-...a67df6a8e4]

No joke, my very first thought upon seeing this was that, if you got a bunch of Fen and gave them blue hair, plenty of handwavium, and even more drugs, then they might be able to pull it off! (What that says about me is something I'll leave up to you to decide...)

(Now, whether anyone would actually want to live in what's effectively a nation-sized bunk-bed is a topic for a completely different thread, but it's the thought that counts...right? Tongue )
(11-10-2023, 08:58 PM)Tennie Wrote: So, I just happened to come across this cheeky Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NonCredibleDefe...in1_state/

And here's the image if you don't want to click the link for whatever reason(s):

[Image: the-double-decker-the-worlds-first-2-in-...a67df6a8e4]

No joke, my very first thought upon seeing this was that, if you got a bunch of Fen and gave them blue hair, plenty of handwavium, and even more drugs, then they might be able to pull it off! (What that says about me is something I'll leave up to you to decide...)

(Now, whether anyone would actually want to live in what's effectively a nation-sized bunk-bed is a topic for a completely different thread, but it's the thought that counts...right? Tongue )

"We get the sunlight, they have to live in our shadow."

From both sides.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown