Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A small idea for the Danelaw...
A small idea for the Danelaw...
I'm throwing this out for someone to take and run with if they want, because I'm still working on the Subversive Literature Act at the moment and I'm afraid I'll forget about this if I don't.
This isn't intended as something big, but maybe it can be a future story seed:  environmentalists on earth complaining about the Venus and Mars terraforming projects destroying the "natural beauty" of both those planets.  While I'm personally very much in favor of environmentalism as a whole, I am aware of the lunatics out on the far edge, and it only seems appropriate that we have a few even more extreme types in Fenspace, who can't be bothered -- or are too scared -- to go into space themselves, but have no problems criticizing things the Fen are doing with inhospitable planets on the ideological grounds that humans have no right to do anything but eat, breathe and shit -- and maybe not even that much.
I figure we can have a little fun lampooning the extremists with even-more-extreme extremists.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I figure we can have a little fun lampooning the extremists with even-more-extreme extremists.

There's a thing called Poe's Law, which basically states that a sufficiently extreme position is indistinguishable from a parody of the same position. I wouldn't be surprised if the kinds of people that you're talking about actually exist in real life. It wouldn't do much damage at all to my suspension of disbelief, at least.

Oh, I'm very aware of Poe's Law. It's one of the things that influenced this idea.
-- Bob
---------

Wasn't this a plot point in Red Mars?

Dunno. Never got around to reading it.
-- Bob
---------

You didn't miss much. I've never before read an SF novel where the "Weber blocks", as Mal once colourfully put it, are the best part.

I know they exist. They are the ones that protest satellite and other orbital launches for "polluting the clean nature of space. Anyone who has watched a Canaveral launch since about 1990 or so can see them out there.