Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion in Fenspace redux - "ripped from the headlines"
Religion in Fenspace redux - "ripped from the headlines"
The headline in question: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14 ... tal_judge/]Flying Spaghetti Monster is not God, rules mortal judge

A prisoner in the Nebraska State Penitentiary brought suit, claiming his religions rights were being violated after he was denied access to Pastafarian literature and religious items. From the decision, as quoted in the article:
Quote:A prisoner could just as easily read the works of Vonnegut or Heinlein and claim it as his holy book, and demand accommodation of Bokononism or the Church of All Worlds.

So... Would this have played out differently in the Fenspace timeline? The http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... n_Fenspace]Religion in Fenspace page only discusses mainstream religions, the Church of Sub-Genius, and one home-grown faith, and mentions-in-passing the Discordians. There's no mention of Pastafarianism, Bokononism or the Church of All Worlds. (Or, for some very good in-universe reasons, Haruhiism.) EDIT: As an aside, the Religion in Fenspace page needs some work.

Having no time at the moment to put together a starting point for a discussion here, I'm just going to throw this open as-is. Thoughts?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I think Pastafarianism's lack of a widely-recognised holy book really counts against it. The Church of All Worlds and Bokononism each have a Canon. Heck, even Discordianism has a Canon, and fractiousness and defiance of authority is Discordianism's entire point.

Most religions would be represented in Fenspace, it's wether organised masses or places of worship exist for them. You'd probably see various Christian and Jewish houses of worship around cause someone is going to come up and build one.

Mormons and other crusading groups would be case by case, though most would consider Wavium the devils work and stay away from it.

I'm actually surprised no one had done a Scientology story surely there's a huge group of them floating around somewhere? Probably on it's way to some random star.

There are probably liberal and moderate Muslims, though I don't know much about beliefs to comment. I'd say there's more then a few youths escaping persecution.

That's almost the extend of my religious knowledge. I'd say there would be Buddhist temples around, I don't think there would be anything pushing them either way unless they are in a country that is oppressing them maybe?