Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Ship Design (working on a crew)
New Ship Design (working on a crew)
Anyone care to give their opinion on this?
[img]http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_zHytGuZvggy46hXBxFNwCGN4J1pbQEAoWYlpdYWgIfif-9Br3bw3dHIgGA8FCpWevqHTO6UDgR9mrNz6hbVhwH4IBVEXgtR8Gn3SkNRvoB1u_7aHo5MgAvOwFeb7YOXERkmMfYI">
Ship Name: ISV Warranty Void if Removed
History: Built by a group of U.S fen just out of college, the Warranty was constructed in Lunar orbit in 2013. Designed as an interstellar explorer, she was just completed when the owners ran into financial difficulty. Face with a crisis, the recent graduates did what they knew best-- abandoned the only person not willing to give up on the ship with the bill. For the past four years, she’s been hauling cargo all over the solar system, but with most of the outstanding debts paid off, her crew is currently in talks with various factions and agencies about mounting some new interstellar expeditions...
Ship Quirks:
Damnit, I’m a scientist, not a soldier!- Despite being based on the ARMD from the Macross series, the Warranty is most emphatically not a warship, and mounting weapons on her is a surefire way to get massive performance drops in speed and computing power.
G’kar’s Last Conundrum- A container of Swedish Meatballs turns up in the back of the ship’s fridge once a week, despite the fact that no one in the crew likes meatballs.

Welcome to the forums and to Fenspace, KindelR!

I like where you're going with this - it explores part of the setting that we haven't looked at yet, it shows some fun, and it's something that I hadn't thought of but now wonder why we didn't have already.

And StellviaCorp is always willing to do business with another cargo hauler, should you need a client - especially after the Artemis Foundation starts setting up bases all over the Solar System and in nearby systems.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Greenwood is also always willing to work with a good hauler, especially fellow Macross fen. Welcome to the Fun!
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

It goes without saying that the good folks at Grover's Corners will welcome the Warranty and its crew as well. And I know we're all waiting to see what you come up with for its crew. Surely there're a few stories there (and at least one B5 fan).
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

... I like you.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Thinking of changing the 'Not a soldier' quirk to allow for four or so small lasers for mining and self-defense, but trying to add more 'offensive' weapons causes performance drops. So no dedicated weapons packages for the Warranty, but they can defend themselves against Boskones in a pinch. Considering using Larry Niven's Ringworld as a quirk namer-- something like 'Puppeteer Logic' or 'the Kzinti Lesson.' Is this alright?

It's certainly fine by me.
-- Bob
---------

Sure, why not?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Go for it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote:KindelR wrote:
Thinking of changing the 'Not a soldier' quirk to allow for four or so small lasers for mining and self-defense, but trying to add more 'offensive' weapons causes performance drops. So no dedicated weapons packages for the Warranty, but they can defend themselves against Boskones in a pinch. Considering using Larry Niven's Ringworld as a quirk namer-- something like 'Puppeteer Logic' or 'the Kzinti Lesson.' Is this alright?
It might be even more amusing that it also mandates that they be named "communications lasers" to qualify for the exemption, even if the lasers aren't actually connected to the comms.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Quote:JFerio wrote:
It might be even more amusing that it also mandates that they be named "communications lasers" to qualify for the exemption, even if the lasers aren't actually connected to the comms.
"Of course we're communicating. Right now, our lasers are explaining proper manners to their engine room."
As a side note, I'm now seeing a collection of waved cars and vans full of SCIENCE! equipment being based aboard, letting the explorers get in even closer.

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
"Of course we're communicating. Right now, our lasers are explaining proper manners to their engine room."
As a side note, I'm now seeing a collection of waved cars and vans full of SCIENCE! equipment being based aboard, letting the explorers get in even closer.
Nor can the ship ever simply launch just one science probe, it has to launch them Itano Circus style.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Matrix Dragon Wrote:
Quote:KindelR wrote:Thinking of changing the 'Not a soldier' quirk to allow for four or so small lasers for mining and self-defense, but trying to add more 'offensive' weapons causes performance drops. So no dedicated weapons packages for the Warranty, but they can defend themselves against Boskones in a pinch. Considering using Larry Niven's Ringworld as a quirk namer-- something like 'Puppeteer Logic' or 'the Kzinti Lesson.' Is this alright?

Oh, that's good. I may have to use that. Thanks!

Also, how does that quirk respond to armed craft in the hangar? Because you know someone is going to insist on launching a VF-1 off her deck at least once.

JakeGrey Wrote:Also, how does that quirk respond to armed craft in the hangar? Because you know someone is going to insist on launching a VF-1 off her deck at least once.
Eh, she doesn't mind that quite as much. I've been thinking about this, and I can't really see a problem with it. Might actually have to do a story based around that, actually.

This is great. Welcome!

(I need to get around to writing up some of my own ideas. Maybe a Gazetteer entry for the OTW and AO3, with special mention of the Wrangulator?)

Go for it!
-- Bob
---------