Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i13: Architect
i13: Architect
http://www.cityofheroes.com/game_update13.html

http://boards.cityofheroe...21&page=0&fpart=1

Quote: There are plenty of other features in Issue 13: Architect as
well, like the new powersets, including the much requested "Villainous Version of Empathy" called Pain Domination. We're also adding
some great new missions to Issue 12's Roman Zone "Cimerora," as well as a brand new reward system that will hopefully see the end of
"necessary" Task Force farming trying to get that one specific Recipe you have been dying to get. The Issue 13 Feature List explains more about
that. We'll be announcing more specifics of each of these features between now and the beta testing for Issue 13.

Hommina hommina hommina

Quote: Next I want to talk about Day Jobs.

I don't have WORDS.

Quote: I should probably take this moment to talk about what the Mission Architect is not meant for. It is not meant for "easy
leveling" or "badging" or "farming".

Quote: In the end, we have a system that we believe is the best suited for what Mission Architect was made for, and is not abusable.

Sure. I believe you.

Quote: Finally, I want to tell you about two "Booster Packs" that will be available in a month or so. Many players have requested the
ability to buy the 30 day temporary jetpack that comes with the new City of Heroes Game Cards. Once the retailer exclusive period ends next month, we are
making the same jetpack available for purchase for $4.99 (which is the cost difference between the one month game time and the $20 Game Card price). We are
also excited to launch our Super Booster I: Cyborg Pack for $9.99. This pack has an awesome set of costume pieces, emotes, auras and a power. We'll be
sharing all of the details shortly.

Cue DOOM. I'll be buying the Super Booster, probably pass on the jetpack.

Quote: New Powersets

• Shields - Heft a Shield for Heroic of Villainous Ends! This new powerset brings a classic power to City of Heroes: Shields! Now, you
    can arm Tankers, Scrappers, Brutes and Stalkers with a powerful shield to protect themselves and their allies.

• Pain Domination - Villains can now bend the power of pain to serve their own ends! Those playing a Corruptor or Mastermind have access
    to this new powerset. The antithesis of the Hero healing powerset "Empathy," Pain Domination brings parity between Heroes and Villains with a
    distinctively evil flair.

New Cimerora Missions

New Hero and Villain story arcs expand upon the history and lore, and delve into the players and politics of Cimerora.

The Merit Rewards System

A new game system that allows players to earn tokens by completing Trials, Task Forces, Strike Forces, Raids, etc. The most challenging and time consuming
tasks grant the most reward tokens, which can be redeemed throughout Hero and Villain zones for recipes, enhancements, salvage, costume pieces, badges,
inspirations and other game items.

Other features

New Invention Origin Sets, new Costume Sets, a Patron Power Respec, Zone Refinements, and more!

looks like i13 is gonna blow you away...
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Y'know, I was excited enough when I thought the only new thing would be the mission creator. Then when I heard that shields were a definite probability in
this issue (about a month ago) I was even -more- excited.

Now?

Someone pass me a towel, please, the drool is encroaching on my keyboard.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Man, yeah, I'm twitching at the thought of new shinies. That's an excellent list. Awesome, awesome stuff.
-- Acyl

Oh yeah. And I definitely want the Cyborg Pack.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Interesting.

I can kind of understand their position on using created missions for badging and farming, but honestly, I think giving them that potential would be a lesser
evil than reducing the rewards. After all, people already can farm. But if the rewards are reduced, it would force people to choose between seeing the storys
people make and advancing their character, which is a really bad thing to do.

Pain domination... somehow, I'm expecting this to make less sense than red electricity.

. o O (Pain pain, go away!)

Merit rewards could have some interesting economic implications. Depending on what can be had from it anyway.

-Morgan. So, when are they going to implement Bowling Ball Melee?

Well, they've always said that the 'Empathy' name doesn't make sense for a villain set, but they suggested we might get an Empathy clone with
different names for the set and powers. Now it seems, yeah, that's exactly what they're doing. I'm not sure what they mean by a
'villainous twist'...could just be a rename of the powers and tweaked graphics.

Could be they're tweaking the powers too, though. I'm curious how they're going to balance this Pain set for Masterminds in particular. I imagine
you could port Empathy over pretty much straight to Corruptors, and it wouldn't break anything. Masterminds, though...ehhhh, might it be overpowered? Now,
don't get me wrong. I've been wanting an Empathy-alike for MMs. When this goes live, chances are I'm gonna play one. I just wonder how
it's gonna be balanced for MMs. But we'll see.

As for the merit rewards system...that is interesting, yeah. I take it that's what they referred to when they said there would be an alternative to TF
farmin' (if you want particular rares). Looking at it objectively, that is good. At the very least it will add more variety to the kind of
'farm-like' activities that go on - I mean, they said you could get tokens from raids as well. And trials. Those two alone break things out of
the whole 'Damnit this enhancement only drops from level 20-40 in the TF rewards pool' frustration that anyone who's tinkered with IO
builds can attest to.
-- Acyl

Something I've read made it sound like Thermal was supposed to be the "villainous empathy", but... well, they aren't really that much alike.
Thermal's got a lot more enhancing abilities. Now there's a set that'd be interesting as a MM secondary...

-Morgan.

Nice. Very nice. I was wet, cold and unhappy when I came in (Rain >.> ). At least now I've got something to enjoy. It will be very interesting tho
see the implications of these new changes. I think I can already hear Terry squealing in joy over the new IO sets.

Edit: To add more info from the deeper in of the thread.

--> From Castle:
"Invulnerability hasn't been done (yet.) The only change to Dark Melee is a buff to....hmm, wait, I haven't been given the
okay to discuss that yet."

-->Lighthouse On the Purchasable
Jetpack: (summarized) The Jetpack will still only last 30 days. (is not a permanent power)

--> More on
new TF Rewards: It looks like you can select recipes to trade in for large cost, or get a random one for low cost.

-->On the Mission Maker: (If
there are any restrictions in place) The Devs can flag an arc as a "Dev's Choice" and there by both lock it from future changes and remove
some/all restrictions (if there are any) in place on said arc.

-->Shield Customization: You can
select from different shield models, and also have any of the 'Chest Details' on the Shield as well.

--

That is all of use I can find as of yet.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

...I was going to take a few months off for budget purposes.

Nuts to that. [Image: smile.gif]

--Sam

"I never seen a cow eat a guy that fast."

Quote: Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:

...I was going to take a few months off for budget purposes.

Nuts to that. [Image: smile.gif]

--Sam

"I never seen a cow eat a guy that fast."
"Jus' when I think ah'm out, they pull me back in!" [Image: laugh.gif]

EDIT:

Anyway, delayed reaction. Day Jobs? Could be AWESOME for me. Given I've bothered to actually come up with such for several of my characters. Nene can work
officially at the PPD now! [Image: happy.gif] Also, if there's an Icon Employee job, Sylia could outsource...on the side.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

*Dies happy.*

Re: the Day Jobs bit... I'm thinking about it, and wondering now what all the various options could be.

Log out in Wentworths: Auctioneer.

On the docks: Longshoreman.

At the train: Conductor.

At a bus stop: Bus Driver, or maybe Transit Worker?

In the sewers: Maintenance Technician, Facilities Engineer, Dirty Dirty Sanitation Worker

On a power line: Lineman

On a sidewalk: Street Sweeper? Er, wait, that's already a badge, innit? Hm.

In a construction site: Ditch Digger?

In a PVP zone: Griefer. [Image: smile.gif]

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

In Croatoa: Ghost.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

In your supergroup base: killin ur guyz Mission Monitor Board duty.

--Sam

"My power to communicate with fish is of no use here!"

Y'know, it occurs to me - there's already a few RPers who take pains to log their characters out in locations that make sense - and
I've always found that behaviour very cool. Especially since most of us just log off wherever.

With this system, though, there's incentive to do it...

I hope the perks they're offering will be stuff that's cool but not necessarily I need such-and-such for this specific build, meaning
that I can pick 'Day Jobs' based on how they're IC for my character and enjoy the game bonus as, well, a bonus. Sorta a reward for RP. =D

Yaaaa'nyway, with regards to Morganni's note that Thermal was supposed to be a villain version of Empathy...well, kinda. That may have been
the original intent, but players weren't satisfied with it as an 'Empathy Replacement' villainside.

Few reasons - it doesn't heal as well, at the most basic level. Thermal has one less heal; it has an enemy debuff capability instead. Second, even the
buffs that Thermal gets are different. Thermal has single target shields. Empathy has major +recovery and +regeneration AoE auras. Fortitude and Forge are
similar single-target buffs, but Fortitude does +def, +dam, +acc...Forge lacks the +def component. Thermal and Empathy both have 'mez breaker' powers,
but Thermal's Thaw doesn't have the +perception that Empathy's Clear Mind grants. Finally, Thermal's endcap power is a strong enemy
debuff...while Empathy gets the incredible Adrenaline Boost single target buff.

These are actually significant complaints. The reason that O2 Boost had +perception added to it with Issue 12...is because the devs acknowledged that
villainside had a lack of +perception buff powers. So they gave that capability to Storm.

Point is, Empathy does stuff that just doesn't have an equal on villainside. In terms of mechanics and playstyle. And that is
why it's awesome we're getting this for MMs and Corruptors.
-- Acyl

One thing I just noticed was Zone Refinements. If these are more Hollows style reworks, I am SO THERE. (Perez and Boomtown, Perez and boomtown...)

I suppose then it'd be better to consider thermal an upgraded version of empathy then...

At least, that's how it feels to me. Looking at the empathy power list... it just bores me. Heal. Heal. Self-pwning heal. And then your next to last
power... is another heal, kind of. It's monotonous.

Thermal's got the edge in status protection, because it works on slow effects. Perception is meaningless to me, because I think PvP sucks. '.'

Forge has a slightly better tohit buff, and noticably better damage buff.

Some shields and debuffs add variety to life, and Thermal's got a ressurect that *sets things on fire*.

Overall, I'm... not actually that interested in playing either set. But I'd be far more interested in playing a /Thermal MM than a /Empathy one.

-Morgan.

I think you're missing the point with Empathy. Sure, it's a healing set... but that's not the only thing it does. Specifically, the three
abilities requested most, especially in mid- and end-game, are not the heals. It's the buffs -- with Adrenalin Boost, Fortitude, and Clear Mind being the
top three, and Recovery Aura playing runner-up.

Now, CM does have a perception boost, which someone noted up thread... but the biggest factor is the Mez protection, in my experience. Especially because it
stacks. I don't PVP either, but I'm still spamming CM's like no tomorrow on AV fights (if the AV has a mez, I mean) and often enough against
lesser mobs that just happen to have mezzes as well.

If you can stack all three of the big ones on someone -- AB, Fort, and CM -- they're nigh-unstoppable for 90 seconds. And then... they don't crash.
The buffs just wear off, no side effect. Plus, any Emp with decent slotting can push these buffs out the door quickly -- for example, Emerald's slotted
for heals rather than recharge rate, but even so she can spit out a Fort every 60 seconds, a CM every 8, and an AB every ... um... under 2m, but not by much,
so there you go. It's pretty intense, basically.

The End-boosting of Recovery Aura and Adrenalin Boost should not be discounted lightly, either. I'm not sure if Thermal has an equivalent to that -- I
don't think it does but I could be wrong. I know that if it does it's not as capable, because when it comes to boosting End, the only characters that
an /Emp takes a backseat to are the /Kins.

Thermal does have it's good points, but it's simply not as capable, in my opinion. So, rather than considering it an 'upgraded' version of
Empathy, I'd suggest a nerfed version of Empathy. [Image: smile.gif]

--sofaspud

On an unrelated tangent.....

They mentioned free jetpacks with the 20 buck gamecards...that're exclusive to Target.

I *work* at Target. I can get a DISCOUNT buying these.

And effectively have UNLIMITED JETPACK until they stop the promotion. [Image: happy.gif]

I may actually start picking a travel power up later on now.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Is this jetpack the Raptor Pack, the GvE Jump Pack, or something new? I'm a bit confused...

--sofaspud

I think it's the jinglejet

(Side note: I meant to say in my previous post "I suppose then it'd be better to say that I consider thermal an upgraded version of empathy then...
". It might also be worth noting that I'm evaluating the sets purely on how I imagine I'd use them as a soloing MM.)

It's not just a healing set, but it doesn't really give you anything else until level 16.

The buffs that are directly comparable offer bonuses I find more suitable to my desires in thermal than empathy. Thermal also has resistance shields which
would stack nicely with the resistances of several of the MM pets.

And thermal has those debuffs which are available much more regularly than empathy's auras. Knowing how I am with powers on such long recharges. They
don't do as much to keep you alive, necessarily... but they would certainly make the enemies go down faster.

What it really comes down to is, I find the tools it offers far more desirable, and I believe the overall experience I would find at least tolerable, wheras
empathy would drive me completely mad.

Still, I suppose if your opinion of it is common, that could work to my advantage. Might make it easier for devs to be convinced to give thermal to MMs. '.'

-Morgan. Also, according to MHD, the recharge on CM is 4 seconds, and Fortitude 60 seconds, so... I'd hope so. '.'

Um.... maybe I was looking at the wrong stats, but I'm pretty sure the Fort and CM timers are longer than what Mid's was listing. Is that with
slotting?

If not... we got problems, because Emerald can't pop off CM every 4 seconds (it would be handy if she could!), that's for sure.

Anyways, it always comes down to your personal playstyle, of course. It just seemed that you were focused on Empathy = Heals, where in actual fact it's
more about the Buffs once you're past the teens. Sure, I heal... but most players are pretty good at keeping themselves alive by then. It's the buffs
that make the diff.

--sofaspud

Those are what it's showing unslotted. (In fact, that's what it's showing making a new character, and just looking at the base numbers without
selecting *anything*.)

*Checks, finds there is an update* *Updates*

... It's still showing the same recharge times. *looks around* Same numbers as on City of Data also...

Quote: It just seemed that you were focused on Empathy = Heals

That's pretty much what it *is* for the first 15 levels. '.' As a slow levelling person, that's an important time...

The fact that there's so *much* healing is itself a bit off-putting for me. Reminds me too much of bad FFXI white mage players, maybe... Even afterwards
though, the set of tools empathy has is pretty tightly focused. I prefer something with more variety, at least when it comes to the stuff I'll be spending
most of my time doing. (Regen for scrappers is pretty much all healing, but I don't care as much there, since I'm busy running around beating on
things. '.' )

-Morgan.