Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blank Slate....
Blank Slate....
The part of any project I hate the MOST.

Ok, seriously considering trying to get CoX going on my machine, and I've NO clue where I'm going.

Only the starting point... Basicly trying to create a CoX version of a constant charecter of mine and I've no idea at the moment even what bloody archtype
he should be. Only thing I'm certain of is that 'He' gets the science Origin.

So... Lets start giving you brainstormers some basic data, K?

Name: Star Ranger(R.4)

Basic Appearance: Robotic body, as close to a VF-1 from Macross/Robotech as can be managed by the creation system.

Powers: Varied a lot from game to game, but always boiled down to

Decent defenses due to his robotic nature, (think damage resistance/Invulnerabity from Champions or VnV here)

middlin hand to hand performance (usually derived from his stats + bonuses from being a robot)

and a middlin energy blast for ranged combat.

He's also had A vehicle or flight/transformation(almost always looking like a VF-1 in fighter mode) but I doubt these would translate into CoX in any way
shape or form, and one of two basic origins, in the first he's a space probe from some highly advanced alien race, damaged by some sort of event and fallen
to earth who knows how long ago and his self repair systems have finally managed to bring him back on line, but he remembers nothing of his past. The
alternate is Micheal 'Muck' Thunders, trying to develop a new type of teleporter. Pressured to produce results or loose his funding, he steps into the
prototype, and dissapers. The intent was to 'port into his boss's lab, where she was demonstrating a new bipeadal robot for use in hostile
enviroments. Well, because of flaws in his math/theories/just plain wierd luck, he materialises interphased with said robot, becoming merged with it.

help?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Hm. I'm thinking you might want to go with a Scrapper (possibly Tanker) of some sort. If you're going with Toughness rather than Agility, I'd say
Willpower, or Invulnerability. You can get all manner of Melee attacks with Scrappers, though the most fitting for a robot (at least from what I understand of
Macross) would likely be Broadsword or Katana. Maybe Martial Arts, but I haven't seen the new animations for it. You can get the Ranged blast from one of
the Epic Pools way later on as a Scrapper. I suggest that over Blaster, as its much easier to start up with a Scrapper.

I'm not exactly sure on just what to suggest though. Hopefully we've more creative minds around.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

The new Martial Arts animations aren't bad, they're not bad at all... but honestly?

I think your best bet may be to roll up a Fire Blaster and play them as a Blapper (Blaster + Scrapper). With 16 just around the corner, you'll be able to
recolor all those fire attacks into 'energy' beams, a plasma sword, etc.

That makes your toughness requirement a bit more difficult to achieve, though.

You could also abuse the recolor system and go with a Fire Scrapper or Tanker, but you lose out on the ranged attacks until late in the game that way.

Another possibility: a Defender. Defenders have crazy survivability in the right circumstances, and can dish out good ranged damage too. (Not on par with a
Blaster, but nobody is, really Smile And again, with recoloring just around the corner, any set can be made to look like anime-style energy weaponry.

I personally like Defenders quite a bit; that'd be my choice if I were trying to go your route. Probably a FF/Energy and get Air Superiority (from the
Flight pool) as a hand-to-hand attack, might also pick up Flurry (from Superspeed) for another. Air Superiority is the classic two-handed smash-from-above,
while Flurry is exactly what it sounds like, a flurry of blows.

Couple that with the Force Fields (c'mon, a robot is gonna have those, right?) and the Energy secondary providing ranged attacks, possibly with a recolor,
and you're coming close to what you describe.

Edit: on second thought, Radiation Blast or Dark Blast might be a better secondary, because both of those will help your survivability... and with recolors
(again with the recolors!) you can make them _look_ like energy beams/bolts/blasts easily enough. (Hell, Radiation Blast already does, albeit in a swirly
sickly eww-green-radiation way).

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

hrrm.... well, its a start at least. And while I wait for the updated to finish downloading almost 3gigs worth of update, anyone wanna send a refer a friend
code to star_ranger4 at yahoo?

NO QUARTER!!!

It'll be there in a few. *Goes to get it*

Edit: Though on second thought, it might be a bit more kind to allow someone that would actually use the free month the credit. 'S up to you and the rest
of yall. It's away, if you don't want to wait.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

whups I just activated the serial number.

of course, time to finish dl... 44 minutes yet. argh the anticipation!

NO QUARTER!!!

Don't worry about it. Thought occurred to me as I was sending off the Email. Anyway, just ask in the main Legendary forums or poke someone in game (The
character list thread is good for IDing global handles) if you need a hand.
---

Well, in the end so far I've gone with a somewhat Male version thats EB/EM Brapper so far and a female FF/Rad Defender. Played both for about a couple of
hours each before the server maintenance, and while the Male is closer to the original concept, spuds defender suggestion has been more fun.

So, Be on the lookout for Star Ranger 4.0 and TRONI on Virtue from time to time. What I REALLY should do is wait till next month to subscribe up, but I think
I'll be lucky just to get to the end of the free trial before breaking down and buying. Global handles the same as my Forumn, but without the underscore.

NO QUARTER!!!

If you need costume advice, by the way, we've got some pretty good designers on the forums here. A Valkyrie look sounds quite doable.

My half-assed take on the concept, based on your forum avatar colours:

[Image: valkconcept.jpg]

(Note - this uses a lot of unlockable stuff, but you get the idea.)

Anyway, buildwise:

Energy/EM Blaster's a pretty good build, but bear in mind that 'knockback' is a very tricky mechanic to master. The key thing is to, well, make sure you aren't knocking stuff away from your melee-centric teammates. A skilled knockback user is a GREAT asset to a team, a poor one can get a lot of ire.

My own first character was Energy/EM, so I learnt that the, er, hard way.

There's lots of possibilities for you, though. If you're willing to wait for ranged attacks, you could build your character as a tank or scrapper and pick up ranged blasts later down the line. Tanks and Scrappers have stuff like Energy Melee, Electric Melee, and so on. I'm personally a huge fan of those two melee sets.

If you're willing to mostly forgo melee attacks, you can also do quite a bit with a Defender build. Plenty of choices. For Defenders and Blasters, Radiation Blast and Fire Blast could be good alternatives. Maybe even Electrical Blast.

I'm biased against Energy Blast though (despite having a 50 Dark/Energy Blast defender), so take my advice with a grain of salt. =D

Lots of choices, anyway.

I'll keep an eye out for ya in-game.
-- Acyl

One thing to note: if you haven't already, you'll probably want to join the official Legendary channel in-game. It's where we all hang out.

There's lots of ways to get it to show up in your chat window, but my personal preference is to create a new tab that shows only traffic from The
Legendary. To actually join the channel, right-click on the chat window, choose Join Channel, and type "The Legendary" (without the quotes) into the
box that pops up. You only have to do this once and you'll be a member on every character you have (though you'll have to add the channel to your chat
window for each one individually).

Also, a lot of us use a useful keybind you can set up to chat in-channel without having to manually switch to it every time (since you'll do most of your
chatting in the Team channel, for example).

Hit Enter to start chatting, then type:

/bind beginchat /send "The Legendary"

and hit Enter. should be replaced by whatever key you want, like 'p' or whatever. It doesn't need brackets or quotes. And remember
that there should be a space on the end of that command, so that you don't have to type one manually every time you want to say something. Smile

As Acyl said, we'll see you in-game!

Edit: ah, the power of ze wiki. Here's a semi-helpful guide: http://cityofheroes.wikia...wiki/Global_Chat_Channel

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Looks one heck of a lot closer than what ive got right now out of the stock costume pieces... so far the only match is the enforcer boots. Just which pieces do
I need to unlock and where do I get started on it?

NO QUARTER!!!

The Pirmary unlocks used there are Vanguard, Cyborg and Valkire. Vanguard Chest and Vanguard Thighs are unlocked using Vanguard Merits, which you get in the
Rikti War Zone (a level 35+ area), The Cyborg Shoulders are part of the Super Booster I (Which includes a full Cyborg outfit, and a SELF DESTRUCT power) and
the Valkire belt is from the Item pack from the CoH Mac edition. Both Item packs can be purchased from the NCSoft Store, at I believe $9.99. The Wings are a
Craftable Costume Piece, Tech Wings. You need to buy the Recipe and required Salvage from Wentworths in game (or have someone else, we're good sports about
it) and then make the recipe to unlock the wings.
---

Addendum: RWZ is no longer level-locked. I haven't tried out doing the 'vanguard unlock' missions on a sublevel team, however, so it still may not
be viable.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Okay, that I did not know. Yay new stuff.

So, revision. Wings, Chest and Legs you can get in game as soon as you can. Though I'm not sure how you'll get the merits at a low level, you also have to have complete the first mission from Leventera in the RWZ, which likely would be difficult solo at low levels (but not impossible with help). It will take a while to accumulate the merits, but you can do it. The Vanguard pieces will be the most difficult to unlock, the Wings the easiest (because you don't have to actually reallypay for them).
---