Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Hate Smilies

Quote: Morganni wrote:

Not so. If you go in to edit EML's post that starts "Is it a matter of whether we type them ourselves" (which, okay, requires being Bob, me, or
EML) the first smiley (which was typed in) is shown as punctuation in the editor, while the second (which was done with the toolbar) is an image link.

What a way to run a railroad...

-Morgan.
Yes. The editor translates it back to punctuation.

The actual HTML code stored by the board is an image ref.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

... And you can tell this how?

-Morgan.

I would assume by examining the source code it produces....
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

If it was storing the ascii and translating on the fly, it wouldn't show up as an image in older postings anymore.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I think it far more likely that it performs the substitution based on a "Use Smilies" flag that's stored with each post. The smilies being
disabled for the board seems to force that to be set off for new posts (even though the option still appears in the post forms), but it doesn't touch old
posts.

Also, since boards can have their own set of custom smilies, if they were stored as html and the url for one of the images had to be changed, it would break
all the old posts using the original url unless the system did a find/replace on all posts to fix them. Which would be a really horrible design. If not a
"the person who came up with this gets fired" design.

For that matter, in the post of EML's with one smiley done by toolbar and two by ASCII, if the system you suggest was in use, all of them should have been
translated to ascii, since they're both from the same EZBoard set. If it got one, it should get the other. Unless they don't have ascii descriptors.
It's possible to make smilies that don't in Yuku, but I think all the EZBoard ones had them.

Basically, I think it's more likely that the Yuku people did things the easy way using proven technology rather than doing what you're describing,
which would be a godawful pain in the ass to design and maintain.

-Morgan.

*shrug*
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.