Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formatting of top-level forum page messed up on Android browser
Formatting of top-level forum page messed up on Android browser
It looks like something's messed up in the stylesheet for the top-level forum page, in a way that only shows up in the Android native (default) browser.
The specific problem is that top-level page don't show up as a table, but instead with the things that should be elements of the table rendered as consecutive lines of text.
Individual forum pages work fine.
This is on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, running Android 4.2.2.
I've attached screenshots showing the problem -- sorry they're big.  In both cases I've zoomed all the way out to show as much of the page as possible, but the problem occurs no matter how I'm zoomed.
The top level:
[Image: Screenshot-toplevel-broken.png]
The individual forum:
[Image: Screenshot-forum-good.png]

That's pretty close to how the site looks in the BlackBerry browser, too. (At least on the phone; I haven't tried surfing the site with a PlayBook yet.) I suspect, back when the stylesheets were created, nobody expected we'd be using handheld browsers to read the forums...

The content's still there, it just doesn't look as fancy as it does on a bigger screen.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

They might be trying to push their phone app over the browser, as you can see promoted on the head bar.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Huh. Doesn't show up that way on Chrome on the Asus Transformer, which is also an Android device.
ETA:  ...and which appears to be the only browser on the Transformer.  Also doesn't look that way in the default browser on my Samsung Galaxy smartphone, another Android device. 
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Odd -- Chrome shows the same thing as the default browser on my Galaxy Nexus.

My guess is something's wonky in the stylesheet, which causes it to give up.

Certainly the W3C CSS validator complains mightily on the page, but it's extremely strict (hates all platform-specific styles) so that's not very helpful.

I feel like this is something that only started happening fairly recently (maybe the last few weeks or so). Did anything change on our end? (I assume we have no way of knowing whether Yuku changed something...)

I tend to ignore all wonked rendering on mobile devices, but both Safari and Opera on the iPhone do this, and Opera occasionally does some truly bizarre things to threads as well. I've always laid the blame on the browsers rather than Yuku (or rather, mild laziness on Yuku's part triggers and magnifies flaws in the browsers).

If every browser renders the page the same way, I doubt the problem is at the browsers' end.

("Everybody's out of step except Johnny!")
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well, what with both browsers' various other failures (Opera Mini flatly refuses to let me edit my posts, and has notable gaps in its JS support elsewhere on the Web; Safari's privileged position as the iOS in-house browser makes it major-bug-free, but it insists on replacing returns with BR tags which Yuku then ignores, plus it's far more likely to switch on some obnoxious easy-to-use but much-less-useful "mobile site"), I'm inclined to cut Yuku some slack. Besides all that, I've always had these issues, but it seems like they're new to the Android crowd.