Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poke Yuku about HTML5 Youtube Embeds?
Poke Yuku about HTML5 Youtube Embeds?
Would it be possible to see if it is possible to enable HTML5 embeds on the forum?  Flash is something of a security risk, and pretty much everyone is migrating away from it.  I typically have it deactivated in my browser.  However, the forum appears to only support flash youtube embeds, or at least it seems to be turning all the embeds into Flash, which makes navigating a certain subforum rather annoying.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Apparently, it already is enabled, but you need to change your YouTube settings to get HTML5 video. To wit:
Quote:Also youtube is now using the html5 video streaming and this is why some video's using flash don't work properly anymore.

And I quote:

"Here is one more nail in Flash’s coffin: starting today, YouTube defaults to using HTML5 video on all modern browsers, including Chrome, IE 11, Safari 8 and the beta versions of Firefox."

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/27/youtub ... ow-deader/

To change your browser's player setting, just go to this page

http://www.youtube.com/html5

and click on "Request the HTML5 Player"

I just did and WOW the video streams a lot better and faster and apparently it uses less data to stream too. Smile
And if your browser already supports and defaults to HTML5 video, as mine apparently does, this page will tell you "The HTML5 player is currently used when possible."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yeah, my youtube settings are already on HTML5, they have been for a while. The HTML5 works fine on youtube, and the embeds on other sites like Spacebattles, but here I just get a grey box that says "This plugin is disabled".
Here's what I'm seeing on the relevant pages:
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Hm. I'm using Seamonkey, which is based on Firefox, and my YouTube page looks identical to yours, but I see the video in the Pottermore thread. I'm not sure what to tell you.
-- Bob
---------

It might be something weird with the 64-bit version of Firefox. Is your Seamonkey 64-bit?
-----

... I'm not sure. If I'm reading the about screen right, it might be 32-bit.
-- Bob
---------

Embed functions seem to still be picking up the flash version of YouTube videos. I did a "view source" and here's what it starts with:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/v/....
. I am presuming that all the embedded videos are similarly flash as I have neglected to reinstall it on my browser after a recent wipe, and all the embeds come up as
The issue is likely folks using the code provided in the YouTube Embed Code sticky, which still picks up videos as Flash (Also the in-editor embed video tool). If you change the Embed Sticky to to
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgv881gtSb0
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Thanks Ankhani, that works.  Browsing the older threads in the TGELTP sbforum is still annoying, but at least we know there's a workaround for new vids.  (If there was some way to convert all the old ones to the new code, that would be excellent.)
As a side note, I've lately been using Yuku's automatic embedding, where you just drop the raw youtube URL into the post, and Yuku turns it into an embed.  If that could be be altered to embed as HTML5 instead of Flash, it would be very convenient.
-----