Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tapa talk + ads
Re: Tapa talk + ads
20 posts per page: Done. Wasn't this a per-user configuration once?

Square avatar images: Done... ish. That css only seems to restore square images on the topic pages. (I really don't get the image rounding thing. It's not like they take up less space...)

Also, does anyone else feel like individual posts kind of blur together sometimes? I think I'd like to make the box around them more distinct, but don't know how.

Anyone got anything else?

-Morgan.
On the top level of the forums, is there any way to show the last thread posted? It shows the last *person*, but not what thread they posted in.
Rather tahn a request, I have.... an ANSWER! "phpbb" was either what came between yuku and the old old site name that I don't remember either, or the engine the site was based on, like Spacebattles is based on xenforo. I'm about 90% sure it was the latter.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Ah. That's another line of CSS, because it's a different size on the index pages... though they really should have used `50%` here. Anyway...
Code:
.lastpostavatar i.avatar-bg { border-radius: 0 }

/* Subtle post separator */
.post { border-bottom: 2px solid #818181 }
/* Unsubtle post separator */
.viewtopic_wrapper { background-color: #818181; }

If you want, I could probably come up with enough CSS to make it look exactly like the old site. It would need a lot of deteal work.

I'm using #818181 because it's the same color as the text. Black text on white background: so passé.
-- ∇×V
Okay, this is starting to get annoying.

Every time I come back to the forums I have to re-login. Even if I check the 'remember me' option, it kicks me off as soon as I close tab/move to a different site. Is anyone else having this problem, or is it just my extensions messing things up for me?
vorticity: Much better, though that still leaves the post starter's one in the topic list round (which isn't a design element I'm a fan of in the first place). ... and drogan niteflier's still looks round everywhere for some reason. o.O What's with that?

I'm sure everyone will appreciate whatever time you're willing to spend making this place more usable for however long we're still here... But I'm not sure how much time it's worth spending, because I don't know how long we'll still be here. >.>;;

drogan: I haven't seen anything like that (other than the weird "logging in on one yuku forum doesn't log you in anywhere else" thing), but I also keep a tab open here more or less constantly, so if that's specifically breaking it I wouldn't see it.

-Morgan.
Code:
.postprofile .avatar img { border-radius: 0; }

/* Hide OP avatar on forum pages */
.posteravatar {
  display: none;
}
dl.row-item dt .posteravatar + .list-inner {
  padding-left: 0;
}
ul.topics li.row {
    padding: 10px 15px 8px 20px;
}
Code:
/* move page listing to the right to better use space */
.list-inner .responsive-hide {
  display: inline-block;
}
.pagination-row {
  float: right;
}

A lot of stuff here just to reduce the amount of whitespace. I like seeing more than 6 topics per screen, thank you.
Drogan's image was treated differently here because the source is from Gravatar rather than Yuku.
-- ∇×V
Nice. It's starting to approach tolerability now.

I still miss having an icon for unread posts instead of just that blue bar. Don't know if there's any way to pull that off though.

-Morgan.
That's weird, because I had this avatar back when we had ezboard, and I didn't get gravatar until much later.
Delayed response:
wrote: Wrote:Rather tahn a request, I have.... an ANSWER! "phpbb" was either what came between yuku and the old old site name that I don't remember either, or the engine the site was based on, like Spacebattles is based on xenforo. I'm about 90% sure it was the latter.

I'm somewhat familiar with phpbb already. It's just that given the way they present themselves as Gods Gift To Forums, their forum software being phpbb with a lot of features the same forums used to have taken out is a bit eyebrow raising.

-Morgan.
I can't do anything about the ads we're seeing, but I can do something about the missing new post icon you could click:
Code:
/* You need to replace this one that I changed earlier */
ul.topics li.row {
    padding: 10px 15px 8px 45px;
}

/* Add the comments icon back in the hackiest way possible */
a.row-item-link {
  font-size: 22px;
  color: teal;
  margin-top: 10px
}
a.row-item-link::before {
  margin-left: 10px;
  content:"f27a";
  /* Because I can't add FontAwesome .fa class directly */
  display:inline-block;
  font:normal normal normal 14px/1 FontAwesome;
  font-size:inherit;
  text-rendering:auto;
  -webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;
  -moz-osx-font-smoothing:grayscale
}
We could have put a small png inline there, but I looked and saw they were loading FontAwesome anyway, so I picked what I thought was best from http://fontawesome.io/icons/

Also, I'm not really a fan of the cyan buttons, so I propose changing them to a nice teal color:
Code:
/* Let's eliminate the cyan */
.topic_type, .pagination li a:hover, .pagination li.active span, .pagination li a:focus, .jumpbox-cat-link, .dropdown-contents > li > a:hover, a.button1:hover, input.button1:hover, a.button2:hover, input.button2:hover, input.button3:hover, a.no_avatar:hover, .jumpbox-cat-link:hover, input.button1:focus, input.button2:focus, input.button3:focus, .specialbutton, input.specialbutton, .panel .specialbutton, a.specialbutton, .unread-mark, input.quick-relay.button1,
#footer, .navbar, .navbar a, .navbar_footer, .navbar_footer a, .default-submit-action,
.headerbar, .scrollToTop, .no_avatar, .social_links_footer, .badge, thead tr, .sidebar_block_stripe::before, .fancy_panel::before
{
    background: teal !important;
}
.below-header-nav .inner-box .nav-item.active {
  color: teal;
  border-bottom-color: teal;
}
.below-header-nav .inner-box svg path, .below-header-nav .inner-box svg polygon {
  fill: teal !important;
}
.pagination li a:hover, .pagination li.active span, .pagination li a:focus, blockquote, .codebox code, .jumpbox-cat-link, a.postlink, input.button1:focus, input.button2:focus, input.button3:focus, input.specialbutton, .inputbox:hover, .inputbox:focus, .specialbutton, a.specialbutton, .button:hover, .button:focus {
    border-color: teal;
}
.codebox code {
  color: #ac7000;
}
Yep, I'm even changing the icon colors Big Grin
-- ∇×V
First block works, second block is rejected as modifying the Tapatalk branding.

Although if it's the blue that things like the "Post reply" button are, I (think I) can actually change that in one of the very few look and feel controls that still exist. (Just it'll change everything else that's that color at once too.)

Removing ads is $5 a month. I'm kinda torn between "I'm probably willing to throw that into the pot to make things easier on everyone" and "I really don't know if I want to give these people money."

-Morgan.
Just get an ad blocker. As I've said elsewhere, uBlock Origin works great and it even kills ads in video streams.
vorticity, thank you for changing the "has new posts" icon! That's much easier to see on my old laptop's screen.

Morganite, let's not throw money at anybody until we're sure we want to continue using their services.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
wrote: Wrote:First block works, second block is rejected as modifying the Tapatalk branding.

Although if it's the blue that things like the "Post reply" button are, I (think I) can actually change that in one of the very few look and feel controls that still exist. (Just it'll change everything else that's that color at once too.)

Removing ads is $5 a month. I'm kinda torn between "I'm probably willing to throw that into the pot to make things easier on everyone" and "I really don't know if I want to give these people money."

-Morgan.

And the branding thing pretty much puts them on the "don't host with them ever" list for me.

Not sure it's worth paying them even $5 if the plan is to move... which given Bob's issues right now, sounds like it's become such an absolute certainty that we're only waiting for him to be back from vacation and selected where it's going to be hosted. Especially since they could have rolled over the paid page views into that, which implies they're going to be as bad as Yuku in terms of "change the ad system, and it just happens to leak into the paid boards until the board admins scream at them".
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
wrote: Wrote:Just get an ad blocker. As I've said elsewhere, uBlock Origin works great and it even kills ads in video streams.

It'd be for the benefit of people on mobile, not myself.

-Morgan.
Considering quite a few of us chucked a few quid to not see ads every now and then and probably still had bleeding credit on that, that $5 a month sounds like utter bollocks.

Adblock. Far better. And much more trustworthy.

Fuck 'em.

http://adblockplus.org/android-install
http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/goo ... d-3633127/
Can also ad plugins to android firefox.

I probably will, eventually.
Well, since it was your comment in General that made me start thinking about it, if you've got it under control then I'll drop the idea.

-Morgan.
wrote: Wrote:Considering quite a few of us chucked a few quid to not see ads every now and then and probably still had bleeding credit on that, that $5 a month sounds like utter bollocks.

Adblock. Far better. And much more trustworthy.

Fuck 'em.

http://adblockplus.org/android-install
http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/goo ... d-3633127/
Can also ad plugins to android firefox.

I probably will, eventually.

As an Android user, I thank you, but does anyone know of an iOS ad blocker for thems as use it?
Email from Bob, sent yesterday:
Quote:Update: Tapatalk support has finally replied - what does that say about
the Yuku queue? - but I can't answer the questions they asked until I get
home tomorrow.
--
Rob Kelk

wrote: Wrote:As an Android user, I thank you, but does anyone know of an iOS ad blocker for thems as use it?
A quick search turned up this Washington Post article comparing four of them:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... -stack-up/
--
Rob Kelk

IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT

Got an email from Bob saying that Tapatalk has transferred the ad-free credits over to the new forum. Bob has specifically asked for confirmation of this.
Is anyone who has not yet installed an adblocker seeing ads? We need a yes/no answer of some sort.
--
Rob Kelk

I turned off my ad blocker and clicked through the forums for a bit. I didn't even see a white-space that could have been an ad.

Can we get someone else to verify?
OK, I've done the same as BA and not seen ads or even whitespace where ads could be.
I'm not seeing any ads