Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That damn liberal sun!
That damn liberal sun!
Now we'll have to come up with another excuse to say why man-made global warming doesn't exist.
Re: That damn liberal sun!
Something's definitely wrong with that link -- it doesn't seem to go anywhere, and searching at newscientist.com doesn't turn up any matching articles.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Re: That damn liberal sun!
Quote:
Something's definitely wrong with that link -- it doesn't seem to go anywhere, and searching at newscientist.com doesn't turn up any matching articles.
Do you have Javascript turned off? I had the same thing happen to me until I turned on Javascript and refreshed the page.
Re: Re: That damn liberal sun!
Probably a temporary problem; it seems to be working now, and the article also links to several other global-warming-related articles.
Yeah, got it now. But I used IE on my machine at work -- I'll have to see if I can pull it up on Mozilla when I get home.
Thanks!

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Except for the fact that most people who quote the sun as being a major influence also point out an as much as 800 year delay in the effect.
Goofy, but true. Same thing with CO2 concentrations.

--
Chris
(Who is still skeptical of IPCC claims, but now at the point that he will agree that *something* is happening and that it's *likely* man made.)
When Exxon-Mobile throw in the towel, you know you're beat. This article just confirms that fact. The way I feel about it, though, is that it would be a damn fine idea to change our habits now instead of later - global warming or not.
After all, ever been to LA lately? The smog over there's a killer.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"But first, let's test it on the penguin."
"Meep?" O.o

I don't consider what comes from Exxon-Mobile or anybody else's PR to be a useful indicator of anything. Except, that is, that they believe they can make more money by holding a certain position.
Someone I heard on the radio recently said that CO2 concentrations tended to increase after temperature increases (with several centuries of delay I believe). Apparently there's a testable physical process involved there though. What they said was that water at lower temperatures holds more CO2, and when it heats up it starts releasing it.
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
I got a question.. why didn't they rule out the sun before they announced 'global warming'?
Quote:
I got a question.. why didn't they rule out the sun before they announced 'global warming'?
I assume by they you mean scientist, and they did, that is why your have peer review so other people can point out possibilities that the original author missed, such as the sun being responsible for warming. They more or less eliminated this early on, but global warming has been a politically contentious topic with a lot of money thrown at research by both sides to prove they are correct, combined with PR campaings.
This has muddied the waters a lot so to speak, but evidence is now pointing to mankind being the cause with all other explanations being refuted beyond reasonable doubt. It takes time to test your hypothesis, and in a system as large and complex as the climate, which is an unstable chaotic system for which not all effects are known there will be other people comming up with explanations that fit the data you didn't think of and testing them to either prove or disprove.
Science will arrive at an answer, but not immediately, and not without doubt. At this point we can be almost certain that global warming is indeed caused by man, and while we are still refining the models to get better results to see what the effects will be and how to best control it and how different chemicals have different effects, there is pretty much no debate anymore that it is happening, much of it in the same vein as the Inteligent Desing debate.
Alright that last was a low blow, but the people who ling to the notion that we have not been affecting the climate begin to relly on pure faith rather than genuine scientific doubt. Still if you want to affet the debate in a real way get a PhD inmeterology or something and do a study that shows that global warming is not man-made. It will be hard of course because you have to find the evidence that thousand of scientist have overlooked, if it exists at all.
Of course in a thousand years or so kids are going to laugh at the fact that we thought CO2 was the main contributor instead of Fluro-carbons reducing the albedo of the atmosphere, or whatever, just as we think the people that though the earth was flat where crazy.
Scientists are wrong, it's the nature of the game, eventualy a later scientist will refine the current theories as we get a better undersatnding of the world, just as people used to think of the earth as a nearly perfect sphere, when in reality it's slightly Pear-shaped. The ones that thought the earth was a sphere where wrong, but they where a lot loser than the people insisiting the earth was flat.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."