Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal Express Drivers
Federal Express Drivers
I just recieved a package shipped via Federal Express.
As I was paying the driver he had to borrow a pocket knife.
In the following discussion I learned that Federal Express drivers are not allowed to carry anything with which it is possible to defend themselves.
What do you think of this?
Anyone a Federal Express driver?
howard melton
God bless
Re: Federal Express Drivers
1) that sucks
2) how does FedEx handle it if/when one of their employees is injured in the course of a jacking?
3) Not a damn thing you can do about it, legally.
4) What is FedEx's policy for employee behavior in the event of a jacking?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Federal express Drivers
Kokuten those four question and others are what I'd like answered.
I looked on line, but I couldn't find Federal Express's driver policies.
The fact they can't even carry mace for the dogs is silly.
A Fed X or UPS driver are right off my list as job choices.
Most dogs hate me on sight and tend to bite first and bark later.
howard melton
God bless
Re: Federal express Drivers
Quote:
The fact they can't even carry mace for the dogs is silly.
Um, it's not a fact until it's confirmed.
Yrs in trying to keep the outrage wank down,---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Re: Federal express Drivers
If an actual FedEx driver told him that, I can't blame him for considering that a reliable source. '.'
-Morgan."I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come sleep with me."
---From "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
-----(Not really)
Federal Express Driver and UPS drivers as well.
Yes a Federal Express driver told me.
He had to borrow a knife to remove the packing slip and I asked him why he didn't have a knife or at least a box cutter.
Packing slips and sometimes shipping slips are sealed in a stick on plastic envelope that are harder to tear than the plastic many candies are sold in.
It is after all designed to survive riding on the outside of a package during shipment.
Not having a knife or a box cutter to open these slips as to my mind like trying to sweep without a broom.
The Federal Express driver said "Fed Ex drivers are not allowed box cutters, pocket knives or anything else that that we might use to protect ourselves."
In the following informal discussion it sounded like Fed Ex has a policy as bad as what use to be standard on passenger jets.
I mentioned mace for dogs and he said along with knives it was specifically forbidden.
Curious I been searched unsuccessfully on line wanting to see the exact wording of the policy.
I can't help but wonder if the company is trying to protect itself from lawsuit at the expense of it's employees.
It's all hear say and very informal hear say, but Federal Express seems to be using reasoning along the lines that it's better if thier driver is hurt because he is under contracts preventing him from placing charges against the company, while the attacker (Dog owner or criminal) is under no such restriction and can bring charges against Federal Express for the drivers actions.

howard melton
God bless
Re: Federal Express Driver and UPS drivers as well.
It makes a lot of sense as a company policy, because of the likelyhood of lawsuits, and as employee saftey.
If they don't have a weapon then their are much less likely to try and be a hero when someone tries to rob them and can you just imagine the sheer number of lawsuits if they where allowed to carry mace to defend against dogs? plus this way it's much easier to place the entire blame on the dog owner.
Also having a company wide weapons policy makes a lot of sense, otherwise I could imagine some low level manager to have his drivers carry guns to defend themelves, whih would make the situation worse for many drivers, since if you have the gun you must have already made the decision to shoot to kill if sufficiently threatened. Which is why I will never carry a gun, if push ame to shove I don't think I could push the trigger and kill another human being. And if you can't do that having a gun is detrimental since the only thing it does is escalate the situation.
Edit: Also the company has a feduciary responsibility towards their employees wellbeing that stands regardless of contract terms. So FedEx and UPS are responsible for the saftey of their drivers and they must take all reasonable steps to ensure that saftey.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."