Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever have one of those elections?
Ever have one of those elections?
The local election results where I (and at least four other regulars here) live are in. So much for any hope of a half-decent mass transit system any time soon... (sigh)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: Ever have one of those elections?
Look at the bright side, Rob. At least you have mass transit...

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
There is that, even if it is highly inefficient...
Something that was pointed out on the radio this morning - 19 of the 26 wards had incumbents who ran for re-election; they all got back in. The new mayor ran on a platform of getting rid of the "tax and spend" habits of the previous administration. The mayor has one vote on the budget, just like each councillor... I forsee a lot of name-calling coming from City Hall over the next four years.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I know how you feel, our last city council decided to turn a couple of four way stops into traffic circles. WHY in the name of God would you need a traffic circle instead of a four way stop!?--
Jimmy Hendrix is calling me! He's telling me to defeat Klingons! CAPTAIN PICARD!
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
Cause they look pretty.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group, LLC
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

Quote:
I know how you feel, our last city council decided to turn a couple of four way stops into traffic circles. WHY in the name of God would you need a traffic circle instead of a four way stop!?
Meanwhile, New Jersey has been busy ripping out traffic circles and turning them into four-way stops that GENERALLY DO NOT WORK very well, and also tearing out businesses to deal with it. (Near me, in Fair Lawn NJ, there was a restaurant that was in the middle of a traffic circle, been there for 80 years, not fancy or anything, but always busy. They demolished it two years ago, the people got something like half what the land was appraised at, and all four corners of that intersection have been basically tagteaming their way through various restaurants since then, with nothing lasting more than about three months.)Brazil has decided you're cute.Brazil has decided you're cute.
Quote:
Meanwhile, New Jersey has been busy ripping out traffic circles and turning them into four-way stops that GENERALLY DO NOT WORK very well, and also tearing out businesses to deal with it. (Near me, in Fair Lawn NJ, there was a restaurant that was in the middle of a traffic circle, been there for 80 years, not fancy or anything, but always busy. They demolished it two years ago, the people got something like half what the land was appraised at, and all four corners of that intersection have been basically tagteaming their way through various restaurants since then, with nothing lasting more than about three months.)
And in the meantime, how many people have been killed at that intersection?
I hate traffic circles. Besides being a complicated pain in the ass, they're dangerous.
Ja, -n
(fortunate to live in a state where they're unheard of)

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Traffic circles have their plusses and minuses.
Generally, they're difficult to navigate unless you're familiar with them.
However, they do a *far* better job of slowing down traffic flow than a light does.
Up here in 'Toon, we removed our traffic circles like 20+ years ago, and now we're bringing them back.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"