Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Carolina Bill Proposes Banning Sex Toys
South Carolina Bill Proposes Banning Sex Toys
www.independentmail.com/a...68,00.html
Quote:
COLUMBIA Lucys Love Shop employee Wanda Gillespie said she was flabbergasted that South Carolinas Legislature is considering outlawing sex toys.
But banning the sale of sex toys is actually quite common in some Southern states.
The South Carolina bill, proposed by Republican Rep. Ralph Davenport, would make it a felony to sell devices used primarily for sexual stimulation and allow law enforcement to seize sex toys from raided businesses.
"That would be the most terrible thing in the world," said Ms. Gillespie, an employee the Anderson shop. "That is just flabbergasting to me. We are supposed to be in a free country, and were supposed to be adults who can decide what want to do and dont want to do in the privacy of our own homes."
Ms. Gillespie, 49, said she has worked in the store for nearly 20 years and has seen people from every walk of life, including "every Sunday churchgoers."
"I know of multiple marriages that sex toys have sold because some people need that. The people who are riding us (the adult novelty industry) so hard are probably at home buying it (sex toys and novelties) on the Internet. Its ridiculous."
The measure would add sex toys to the states obscenity laws, which already prohibit the dissemination and advertisement of obscene materials.
People convicted under obscenity laws face up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
South Carolina law borrows from a 1973 U.S. Supreme Court ruling to define obscene as something "contemporary community standards" determine as "patently offensive" sexual conduct, which "lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value."
I don't know about you guys, but I'm thinking of ditching my boring life as an office drone and getting into the exciting career of sex toy smuggler.---
Mr. Fnord
Raving blogger
http://www.jihad.net/
"when edison thinks down pipes into special Future Death Machine, in 21st Century another teenager on MySpace gets hit by a car." --Warren Ellis
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Interesting...
I can picture the scene:
Border Cop: ...so you are coming back from a off-state trip with the car's trunk filled with cases of extra-large bratwurst?
Mr. fnord: And cucumbers, sir. I'm going to have a huge bratwurst barbecue with cucumber salad. It's an old family recipe...
Border Cop: Alright, you can go.
Re: Interesting...
Exactly. It'd be like Smokey and the Bandit, only with sex toys.
At the very least, after the inevitable arrest and media circus of a trial and acquittal on the grounds that South Carolina's legislature failed the IQ test, I could sell the movie rights and retire.---
Mr. Fnord
Raving blogger
http://www.jihad.net/
"when edison thinks down pipes into special Future Death Machine, in 21st Century another teenager on MySpace gets hit by a car." --Warren Ellis
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Re: Interesting...
... now what makes this funny to me is that one my my relatives actually supports themself by being a smuggler. (Ease off, snooping Feds, neither end of their business is in the US or protectorates) Not of sex toys, but still... it's almost a family business, loike.SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows