Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy 4th and Happy three days late Canada Day
Happy 4th and Happy three days late Canada Day
Sorry Canada I aimed to post this with a slightly different subject line on the First of July.
Forgot to change the month on my calender and didn't think of it until someone said happy 4th of July on the CB.
It would have been nice if Canada day could have been on the 3ird or 5th of july.
Or maybe instead of a 4th of July the US could have had a second of July.
With these two holidays that close I'm sure it wouldn't have taken much then to convince our respective governments to have a two day holiday.
If anyone has a time machine(I prefer a Delorian, but will take a Humvee.) I'll volunteer to go back and move Canada day to the second and fix it so that July the third is America's day.
I'm sure such a minor changes to Canadian and American history won't alter anything else. [Image: wink.gif]

howard melton
God bless
Re: Happy 4th and Happy three days late Canada Day
Actually, I like it the way it is. There's a sizable fraction of the Detroit/Windsor population that treats July 1-4 as a four-day holiday (at least, there was a decade ago), and I've been lead to believe that some of those border-straddling towns in New England/The Maritimes practically shut down for these four days.
Given a choice between a two-day holiday and a four-day holiday, I know which I'd pick...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
July 2 could have been the U.S. holiday, and in fact, John Adams thought it would be. It was on the 2nd that the Continental Congress voted for independence. Adams wrote (I got this quote from Isaac Asimov's Book of Facts): "The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha in the History of America.--I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival.... It ought to be solemnized ... from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."
I was born in Saskatchewan, and I once jokingly argued to my boss that I should get Canada Day as well as the Fourth as a holiday. Being in the U.S. Army, and stationed in Korea at the time, the notion was not well received.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
I live in Widsor and yes, us and Detroit tend to treat it as a extra long holiday. [Image: glasses.gif]
As far back as I can recall the 2 cities have been putting on a combined Canada day/4th of July fireworks night.
They get 2 or 3 barges out on the River and setup the fireworks on them, people hangout along riverfront areas on both sides of the river to watch.__________________
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Wow!
I didn't know any of the border cities celebrated together.
I also didn't know that second of July almost became the 4th of July... That doesn't sound right, but I'm sure you know what I'm saying.
Robkelk, Timote and the rest of you blessed Canadian/American border dwellers that get 4 days I'm sure you can sacrafice half your current four days to let those of us far south and far north of the border have an extra day.
By the way I've got good news there has been a nibble on renting a time machine.
This woman with a Japanese accent has offered me the use of her time machine and she says I can even drive my own truck. There is this favor I've got to do Susan, I think she called herself, while I'm time traveling. She said something about picking up this brat of a little girl with a odd hairstyle often called spore and seen with a cat shaped balloon.
I've made a note to myself and when I get back to 1776 I'll be sure to tell the founding fathers to pick July 2 and call it "America day" or "Freedom day" no more of this confusing calling it by the date name thing.
Again have a happy Canada day and 4th may both our nations have at least 230 more.
howard melton