Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Wednesday, The Internet As We Know It Dies
Re: On Wednesday, The Internet As We Know It Dies
Allow me to clarify, then.
As an example, suppose at home, I have a line from ISP A, and make VOIP calls using VOIP Company B.
Suppose I call someone who uses a line from ISP C. ISP C also runs a VOIP Company D. It's almost uninteligible because ISP C has throttled the bandwidth on their network available to VOIP Company B to almost nothing.
However, if I were to use VOIP Company D, my call goes through crystal clear because there are no limitations on their bandwidth.
Nothing has changed on my end. Nothing has changed on their end. I'm trying to use the same type of service. But since I'm now paying VOIP Company D for the service (and indirectly, ISP C), they'll let my data through.
As the practice spreads, I have to pay a subscription fee to every VOIP/ISP pairing if I want to be able to talk to someone who's not on an ISP I'm already paying.
And if my ISP ever implements a throttling on other VOIP companies, I get cut off from all the others, with no way of talking to people on other ISPs because no ISP will let another ISP's VOIP data through their network.
I want language to prevent this "we own these roads, so you can only drive on them in our cars" kind of network segmentation.------------
Honou Productions
------------
Honou Productions.
Quote:
I want language to prevent this "we own these roads, so you can only drive on them in our cars" kind of network segmentation.
A noble enough goal... I just think that most of that is covered by preexisting legislation.
In the scenario, VOIP company B is having its call quality damaged specifically by ISP C. However, in this scenario I'm going to have assume that VOIP companies F, H, and J on IPSes E, G, and I respectively are having no problems with calls to VOIP B. In this case ISP C is doing something already illegal. Laws exist to sue/fine them for their business practices. It is just the same scenario of Cellphone company K and Cellphone company L if they are in the the same scenario. So pre-existing laws cover this. The telecoms are only leasing/renting their internet power, not buying it. Federal laws still exist and apply.
If however the VOIP company B is having the issues with VOIP companies across the board... you have two different scenarios. Either a legitimate conspiracy is occurring, and current laws can be sicked on the companies or because VOIP B has managed to tick off every other service provider and gets the same treatment from all of them, because of this. In the second part VOIP B is the one with this issues. Perhaps VOIP B is cutting the quality for the other companies incoming calls, in which case VOIP B is at fault.
These scenarios are covered by preexisting laws. So restating it in this particular bill seem redundant.
Unforunately, your noting in the first possible scenario that ISP C would be acting illegally is incorrect, according to current FCC regulations. As of September 2005, both DSL and Cable services are classed as "information services", not "telecommunications services," and as such are not subject to telecommunications regulations. No pre-existing laws exist to prevent this abuse, which is why such language *is* needed.------------
Honou Productions
------------
Honou Productions.
Okay. So your first add-on such make VOIP subject to standard phone competition rules on signal interference.
However:
energycommerce.house.gov/...up1834.htm
Pages 33-4 seem to cover this scenario.
Quote:
Any State or political subdivision thereof, or any agency, authority, or instrumentality of a State or political subdivision thereof, that is, owns, controls, or is otherwise affiliated with a public provider of telecommunications service, information service, or cable service shall not grant any preference or advantage to any such provider.
Page 33, lines 12-18
The language is specifically limited to political entities (states, counties, and municipalities) and their agents (government agencies). Corporations don't fit into either of those categories, and are free to make their own rules.------------
Honou Productions
------------
Honou Productions.