Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Budget Carp
California Budget Carp
I realise that most of the 'active' people here are !Californian, but I have to vent and or wonder if you all can provide feedback/point me in a good direction to go...
As you may or may not know, rather than passing an unpopular budget, the California state legislators adjorned their session.  This means they wont get AROUND to passing the budget until AFTER they've gotten their self serving assets re-elected.  Nor does the 'Governator' have any plans to 'force' them back to work on the topic.  In case you havent figured it out from my previous choices of terms, I find this almost criminaly negligent.  However I also am a firm member of the camp of "Dont bitch if you cant fix it"...
Which just might be in my power to do, given that, in California, one CAN get 'grass root' propositions onto the ballot if you get enough people to agree with you.  Proposition 13, for example.  And if you can get enough people to agree with you not only can you get this proposition on the ballot, you can get it passed into law.
Ergo, I've got the burning desire to get a proposition onto the california ballot...  Hell, 2 of them.  And niether has a chance of being enacted unless I can get the popular support of the general californian voting populace, cause no 'real' politician would ever touch them.
Proposition:  Elected official Incomes
Any pay raise given to an state or local elected official requires voter approval of the electorate in question.
Proposition:  Budget Reform
1) require legeslature to remain in session until budget is passed
2) require legislature to forfit all pay and benifits until budget is passed
3) no other legislative business allowed until budget is passed.
Now, how would I go about trying to move these ideas from something more than just one person trolling on a forum?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Quote:Proposition: Elected official Incomes
Any pay raise given to an state or local elected official requires voter approval of the electorate in question.
I'd add to that one "Any pay raise given to an state or local elected official does not take effect until after the next election". That way, the official has to get re-elected to get the raise, and the opposition can make it a campaign issue.

Quote:Now, how would I go about trying to move these ideas from something more than just one person trolling on a forum?
That I can't help you with...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

This is pretty much what Carl Paladino is proposing to solve the same problem here in NY.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

For your second one, the only thing I see missing is that you leave deadlines open.  I propose that you set something like three months after the start of the fiscal year to pass a budget then, if not done, the rest of your items go into effect.

Ah. Well, given that at the moment I'm so peeved at them, they dont GET a grace period. If the budget hasnt been passed by 1 Jul (start of the CA fiscal year) this kicks in

NO QUARTER!!!

Huh... well its good to see that I was not alone in feeling this way. Apparently enough other people already did as well and I was out of step with the times:

http://www.ballotpedia.or...o_Pass_the_Budget_(2010)

NO QUARTER!!!