Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make America Grate Again
Re: Make America Grate Again
Olympic Stadium opened to temporarily house 'intense' surge of asylum seekers from U.S.

"Though official numbers have not been released by the federal government, Dupuis estimates 1,174 asylum seekers crossed into Quebec in July. In comparison, PRAIDA helped 180 people in July 2016."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40817253
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40817253][/url]

Trump really does not like being contradicted, even by Foreign Heads of State. And he thinks he can tell them to stop.
I swear to God that man's ego knows no bounds.
Re:
DHBirr Wrote:An article ran in the Washington Post saying that the U.S. needs "relationship counselling."  
What was really telling was the number of comments attached to the article saying that it's too late for counselling; America needs a "divorce" due to irreconcilable differences.  In describing how many pro-divorce responses there were, the words "overwhelming majority" come to mind.  There was also a lot of criticism to the effect that the writer dealt in "both sides at fault" false equivalencies and no, the left had not been every bit as vicious as the right. 
Quote:Fry123 commented at 7/4/2017 7:01 PM EDT:
Split?? Uh... no. I'm not giving up my ability to live and work anywhere in the USA because the extremes of both parties think they have a right to dictate policy to the rest of us.

UK_spectator replied at 8:43 AM EDT:
Your problem is that the USA does not exist any more. 
The States of America exist but they are not United and have not been for some while. They move further apart daily, with the blue group subsidising the red group. 
There comes a time in a relationship where it is necessary to be realistic and give up trying to stay together. 
It happens with countries, chunks of Europe for example quite recently. Pakistan came out of the partition of India. ... and I'm afraid I don't see Americans making any better a job of it.

I've occasionally joked for the last decade that the next American Civil War will be Republicans vs Democrats.   When it seems like, no matter who wins the presidency, that 25% of the population will consider them the Devil incarnate, based solely on their political party, that doesn't look good for the future.___________________________
"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." - George Carlin
Wasn't the first American Civil War more-or-less split along the same party lines?  With the Democrats that remained in the North doing so only because A) they were in the minority in their states and B) They were more moderate than their Southern counterparts?
No, the American Civil War was not along party lines.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... tion,_1860

There was an anti-slavery party, two Democratic Parties, and a "please don't fight guys" party.

I never thought of a president being the Devil incarnate until this guy.  I mean, I know that sounds silly because devils are lawful and this guy is obviously chaotic.  I'm probably wrong, Trump's probably just an agent of the Shadows, because he's all about the survival of the fittest, even in his administration.  I don't feel that way about most conservatives, just Trump and the illiberals like Bannon.  There's room to compromise still if we don't have so many politicians acting like complete flipping morons.  (Also looking at you, Bernie or Bust people.  Politics stops working if we never compromise.)

#CalExit is going to come back again in 2020 -- they pulled plans to be on the ballot in 2018 due to some of its organizers disliking its other organizers taking money from the Russians. :/-- ?×V
Well of course the Russians would support any State trying to secede from the Union.  Such an act would greatly diminish the political clout of the USA as well as our military capabilities.  (Do you eve realize how many Navy bases there are in California?)
Black Aeronaut Wrote:Well of course the Russians would support any State trying to secede from the Union.  Such an act would greatly diminish the political clout of the USA as well as our military capabilities.  (Do you eve realize how many Navy bases there are in California?)

a good sized chunk of the computer and aerospace industries too as I recall.  Plus a lot of people, oh and of course a major chunk of the Entertainment industry.

on the other hand, doesn't California import a lot of it's food?  making that an international import rather than a intra-national one may not work too well.  Plus then Trump would feel obligated to build a wall along the California border to keep Mexicans from sneaking in that way. ??___________________________
"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." - George Carlin
Black Aeronaut Wrote:Well of course the Russians would support any State trying to secede from the Union.  Such an act would greatly diminish the political clout of the USA as well as our military capabilities.  (Do you eve realize how many Navy bases there are in California?)

Considering that the US Navy still has a base in Cuba, that isn't necessarily an insurmountable problem.--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012